Sponsored By:

Advise on G37/Q60 coupe purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 08:17 AM
AlexNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise on G37/Q60 coupe purchase

Hello g37/q60 owners!

i previously owned a g35x 1st gen for many years and i'm looking into purchasing a g37/q60 coupe in the upcoming months.

as with all my purchases i like to ask owners for things i should be looking for (issues, quirks, etc) before i purchase.

i'm aiming for a g37 ipl edition. is it worth it over a regular g37? any weird issues i should be looking for if buying used?

i'm going to be using it as a daily driver in NY, hopefully i can get 4-5 years out of it.

are there any must options i should be looking for? my understanding is that the IPL edition has premium, sport and tech packages already on it, am i correct in this assumption?

i'm looking to purchase one under $20k with under 60k miles. Am i in the right ballpark?

any help would be greatly appreciated, just trying to do some research before i purchase.

thank you
Old 05-09-2018, 08:30 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
It's more show than go
Old 05-09-2018, 10:30 AM
AlexNY

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
It's more show than go
exactly what im looking for

Old 05-09-2018, 12:33 PM
GLife14
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexNY
Hello g37/q60 owners!

i previously owned a g35x 1st gen for many years and i'm looking into purchasing a g37/q60 coupe in the upcoming months.

as with all my purchases i like to ask owners for things i should be looking for (issues, quirks, etc) before i purchase.

i'm aiming for a g37 ipl edition. is it worth it over a regular g37? any weird issues i should be looking for if buying used?

i'm going to be using it as a daily driver in NY, hopefully i can get 4-5 years out of it.

are there any must options i should be looking for? my understanding is that the IPL edition has premium, sport and tech packages already on it, am i correct in this assumption?

i'm looking to purchase one under $20k with under 60k miles. Am i in the right ballpark?

any help would be greatly appreciated, just trying to do some research before i purchase.

thank you
what year?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:21 PM
AlexNY

Originally Posted by kushp14
what year?
im aiming for 11, 12, 13

Correct me if im wrong, but i think theres no point in getting. A v36 q60 since its the same exact car
Old 05-09-2018, 01:23 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Newer is usually better. Be aware 2009 - 2011 has the timing cover gasket issue, ask owner if it's been replaced.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:38 PM
AlexNY

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Newer is usually better. Be aware 2009 - 2011 has the timing cover gasket issue, ask owner if it's been replaced.
exactly the kind of info i needed.

thank you very much sir

this is why i love car communities/forums

i was in g35driver but there wasnt much activity in g37 there

anyways, please let me know if there is anything else i should be aware before i commit
Old 05-09-2018, 01:51 PM
GLife14
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

im aiming for 11, 12, 13

Correct me if im wrong, but i think theres no point in getting. A v36 q60 since its the same exact car
either way, may be difficult to find a ipl in the price, miles and condition you want
Old 05-09-2018, 04:06 PM
TheRiddler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, just picked up a 2014 Q60 - same car, different name. I guess a few different colors, too.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:53 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Q60 AWD. After lots of research, here's what I found:

2010+ way better infotainment. Not as good as current cars, but good enough with BT streaming (assuming you get a Navi car, which IPL should be)

2012+ new timing cover gasket, I definitely didn't want to deal with this ($3K repair?)

2014 (I think, possibly 2013) Infiniti deleted the terribly unreliable steering column lock. I was surprised to find my 2014 car didn't have a locking steering wheel, but after reading the trouble Nissan had, I am glad they didn't bother with it on my 2014.

Older cars have a slight chance to have "melting interior" where certain soft touch plastics become sticky in the hot sun.

Older cars have a steering wheel bezel where the coating flakes off. Newer years don't have a coating, so no flaking.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:22 AM
AlexNY

Originally Posted by takemorepills
I just bought a 2014 Q60 AWD. After lots of research, here's what I found:

2010+ way better infotainment. Not as good as current cars, but good enough with BT streaming (assuming you get a Navi car, which IPL should be)

2012+ new timing cover gasket, I definitely didn't want to deal with this ($3K repair?)

2014 (I think, possibly 2013) Infiniti deleted the terribly unreliable steering column lock. I was surprised to find my 2014 car didn't have a locking steering wheel, but after reading the trouble Nissan had, I am glad they didn't bother with it on my 2014.

Older cars have a slight chance to have "melting interior" where certain soft touch plastics become sticky in the hot sun.

Older cars have a steering wheel bezel where the coating flakes off. Newer years don't have a coating, so no flaking.
thank you for the heads up!

my last g35 was a 2006 sedan, which was the last year of the first gens and all little issues were for the most part resolved or upgraded.

i'm guessing it's the same for the coupe g37.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:24 AM
AlexNY

Originally Posted by kushp14

either way, may be difficult to find a ipl in the price, miles and condition you want
i don't mind paying more if it's bone stock, low miles and has an immaculate service record. but who am i kidding? for the most part these cars get beaten to hell, because they are hella fun to drive hard.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
going by username, if you're in NY, you may want to look for an xS .... AWD with Sport Package.

xS coupes are hard to find, but unlike the xS sedan (basically an appearance package), the coupe actually gets performance bits:

- Sport seats w/adjustable upper & lower bolsters, adjustable thigh support
- big Akebono brakes
- sport tuned suspension
- 19" Sport wheels
- paddle shifters
- Sport front bumper
The following users liked this post:
gill1606 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:36 AM
AlexNY

Originally Posted by Landshark
going by username, if you're in NY, you may want to look for an xS .... AWD with Sport Package.

xS coupes are hard to find, but unlike the xS sedan (basically an appearance package), the coupe actually gets performance bits:

- Sport seats w/adjustable upper & lower bolsters, adjustable thigh support
- big Akebono brakes
- sport tuned suspension
- 19" Sport wheels
- paddle shifters
- Sport front bumper
i think awd in these cars is way overrated. my g35x used to get stuck in the snow. not for lack of power, but rather because the car was too low so snow used to get stuck underneath and thus car got no traction.

so awd is not a requirement for me, however those extra options look very promising
Old 05-10-2018, 09:41 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
i think awd in these cars is way overrated. my g35x used to get stuck in the snow. not for lack of power, but rather because the car was too low so snow used to get stuck underneath and thus car got no traction.

so awd is not a requirement for me, however those extra options look very promising
I also own an over-powered 2016 GTI that is tuned. AWD is not overrated. My GTI can never put down all of its power, it is so frustrating. When it is at a speed where it won't spin the tires it is seriously quick! But I have to "pedal" the **** out of it to even keep up with a new F-150.
I swore I would never buy another 2wd performance car again. That is why I bought an AWD coupe. It is rare to see a manufacturer offer an AWD coupe. Most are RWD. The G37 videos I have seen show the RWD cars can still have a good deal of wheelspin even in good conditions (not near as bad as my GTI though!).
Also, I have heard it mentioned a few times in regards to boosting the G/Q, if you're gonna boost the 7AT model, may as well be the AWD. The RWD cars can be quite a handful when boosted.

Quick Reply: Advise on G37/Q60 coupe purchase