Sponsored By:

DIY 6MT Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 12:43 AM
Mryes
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY 6MT Shift ****

Hi everybody, new to the forum so I figured I'd start off with a DIY I did a few days ago!

Tools/Materials:
Item to be made into the shifter
Drill
Thread insert (10 x 1.25 for g37s 6MT)
Weights (I used lead)
Epoxy putty
Hot glue
Various pokey bits, knives and screw drivers
File/Sandpaper

Okay! Now that you have your tools, lets get started.
I started with an old joystick that didn't work anymore and I thought that would make a sweet shift ****

Generic picture off the internet, but you get the point.

I started with opening up the joystick, but this will obviously change from case to case. Be creative and work with what you have!

I wanted to keep the buttons, that's why I kept the circuit board in there

Notice all those little ribs inside. I wanted to weigh this shifter so I needed to some how take those down. I started by just taking pliers and yanking them out. But that left a very rough bottom that I knew would be a pain to make a weight for. So, I took the dremel and sanded the ridges down.

Next, I went outside to melt the lead and pour it into the mold. I got the lead from an old pack of pellet gun BBs, but you could really use anything as long as you can make it work. I kept my set up simple. I used a camping propane tank, a copper end cap, and some vice grips. For the mold, I took some aluminum foil and folded it a few times. Then I simply molded it to the spot I wanted, took it out so it didn't melt the plastic, and poured! I ended up using a little less than a pound of lead. I'm not sure what a heavy shifter felt like, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I ended up with 4 different "pockets" of weights.

Next came the time consuming part of filing and sanding the weights so they fit perfectly inside and still allowed it to close. This took some time, so be patient. I used a combination of files and sandpaper. Trial and error and they fit perfectly! I glued everything down with hot glue and made sure everything fit together perfectly before I started the next step.

This next step I couldnt take pictures because of the little work time I had but I'll try to explain it as best as I can.
The bottom of the joystick had a hole the perfect size for the thread reducer/insert. My plan was to fill the entire bottom cavity full of epoxy putty, put the threaded insert in the first half, fill the second half, and sandwich them together. I mixed up the putty and went with my plan. Everything went easy easy, but I wanted to make sure this part was perfect because once I close it up after this, I wouldn't be able to open it.I didn't realize how little work time I had so I had to work QUICK. It was starting to harder up on me before I even got the second half filled.

Once its hardened up I took a drill and drilled a hole through the epoxy, up through the insert.
But after that, you're done!

It feels surprisingly good in the hand and the extra weight is great. It sits a bit high because I didn't recess the insert inside the shifter but that's a project for a different day
Thanks for reading! Hopefully I was clear enough, if you have any questions or feedback feel free to ask!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:47 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
I have never been this bored! LoL

Other than being huge and the shift boot not really fitting anymore it looks pretty good.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I saw the internet picture and thought this was a joke....

100% not disappointed though.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Well, way to be different... Not my cup of tea but I bet it does feel amazing lol
Old 04-13-2017, 06:08 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
How many parsecs does it take you to make the kessel run
The following 2 users liked this post by Surfnazi:
Jonesmeister11 (04-15-2017), RMB5190 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:51 AM
j50ny
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts
Definitely different but I commend you on your level of creativity.

Are you thinking about changing the height at a later time? How about fabricating a new shift boot?
Old 04-13-2017, 02:42 PM
All_the_Poniez

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not my style, but this is a very cool breakdown of how to do a custom ****. A+ for creativity and turnout!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Mryes
Registered Member

To change the height I'd need to have that threaded insert deep into the joystick. And since that insert is epoxied in there...I think its gonna stay that height lol
What I might do is add a little wooden spacer to fill the gap. A new shift boot would be cool too, well see!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Mryes
Registered Member

Originally Posted by j50ny
Definitely different but I commend you on your level of creativity.

Are you thinking about changing the height at a later time? How about fabricating a new shift boot?
To change the height I'd need to have that threaded insert deep into the joystick. And since that insert is epoxied in there...I think its gonna stay that height
What I might do is add a little wooden spacer to fill the gap. A new shift boot would be cool too, well see!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:50 PM
Mryes
Registered Member

Originally Posted by All_the_Poniez
Not my style, but this is a very cool breakdown of how to do a custom ****. A+ for creativity and turnout!
Thank you! Appreciate all the feed back on this
Old 04-14-2017, 04:02 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Maybe wire in the buttons to the ftp (flash to pass) circuit.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:12 AM
Mryes
Registered Member

Hey jay! I bought one of your clutch springs a few weeks ago haha finally made an account. I actually had to glue the buttons in place because of how much they rattled �� It was fun while it lasted
Old 04-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Mryes
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Maybe wire in the buttons to the ftp (flash to pass) circuit.
Hey jay! I bought one of your clutch springs a few weeks ago haha finally made an account. I actually had to glue the buttons in place because of how much they rattled
Old 04-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
lol this is gold. 5 stars for creativity.
The following users liked this post:
Mryes (04-15-2017)