G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Getting bored with my '08 G37S.. Keep vs. BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 06:44 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
If your a BMW fan boy and wont admit nor cant believe that the E92 has any problems...try reading this 145 + page thread straight from their forums. All they do is get blackstone reports and worry about their 25k engines blowing. Mother BMW also does not cover this. They will try to wiggle out even if under warranty blaming it on any mod that you do.
The worst part is that many of the engines that were blowing were NOT modified. Has to do with bearing clearance issues and how BMW made them too tight...
Beautiful car, the high reving engine is intoxicating the first couple of months but then all you do is worry about the engine....

Official S65 Bearing Specification/Clearance Wiki - Page 146

P.S. NEVER BUY ANYTHING SALVAGED....your resale will be horrible if not zero. Plus a BMW with a salvage title is like throwing your money away.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
If you want to believe this consumer report as a bible on reliability I have no comment. It ranked Toyota as 8 and VW as 15 but audi/vw share the same engine? LOL

Go get some hard facts like industry OEM part sales, warranty sales, aftermarket sales then come back to me other than this BS report because you're clueless. I work in the automotive sector and is privy to this kind of info.

Oh and this my 3.5 max did burn oil but never ate that much. My rev up g35 blew up from oil consumption while doing the test.
At this point it's clear that you're simply short of reading comprehension.
Nowhere am I comparing Audi to Toyota or any other brands than the Grrman brands. And no where did I say it was gospel Do you even know what the word anecdotal means? Maybe if you looked it up you can make yourself stop looking "clueless".
The more you attempt to argue the more it shows. I would recommend investing in a dictionary to mitigate some of the perception you give off speaking out of turn.
Where are your facts that I presented consumer reports as the bible? Or any facts for that matter as you imply the DE engine did not have oil consumption issues?

Never mind I don't really want to hear back from you because it appears you are just looking to pick a fight instead of having an intelligent conversation.But you picked the wrong person to do that with. So here is your warning. Move on because this isn't going well for you and will only get worse.
But thanks for trying
The following 2 users liked this post by KAHBOOM:
guy from norcal (08-18-2016), kennyz424 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 12:00 PM
pwcracer
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was about to get a BMW 328xi but my research made me shy away from german cars do to high maintenance cost (which I still have) and reliability issues.
I was also looking at a 5 series with a twin turbo, but read nothing but horror stories about them.
I have had Several VW's and Audi's in the past, and they all had a few issues, nothing too major. I had a Mini r53 that was trouble free for 75k until the hg went out.

I hope my g37 is better.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:35 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
Only happens to 1% of the population. Granted only 30k E9xers were produced. Same goes for subie ringlands, evo trans, Porsche bearings, g35 motors had terrible oil consumption.

Glad your brother got the N55 instead because the N54 is the most unreliable BMW engine.

People that complain about Germans cars sucking are the people that have high miles with no extended warranty imo. All cars have defects. Just German maintenance is expensive.

We all know the G is a great all around car. Can't say that about the new Q.
I think the E92 motor failure is far more widespread than 1%, there's a class action lawsuit over it right now. Regardless, I still love that car to death, and I'd be happy to buy it off my dad when he's "done with it" lol.

Nick C.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:17 PM
jk315
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Get an e92 6 speed with 50-70k on it and an extended warranty to 125k or 150k nuff said....It's EXCITING to drive. The G is nice, it's more reliable from what I've seen and read, but you only live once so why not experience 400 plus HP with a $500 tune, add another $1500-$2000 and your getting 475-500 whp on e85 gas.....BMW's ARE the ultimate driving machine...Unless you want to drop 5,6,7,8, how many thousands into making the G a twin turbo it's not even a discussion between the two......EXTENDED WARRANTY and it's a done deal.....
Old 08-18-2016, 02:40 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
I think the E92 motor failure is far more widespread than 1%, there's a class action lawsuit over it right now. Regardless, I still love that car to death, and I'd be happy to buy it off my dad when he's "done with it" lol.

Nick C.
1% is what BWM wants you to think..as time goes by more and more will fail as has been the trend ... but by then no one will care and they will blame it on the owners/drivers. Even if they did not modify the car....Other than the fact that it could cost you 20k to replace the engine, the reliability of the car in general sucks, and the fact that its got a lamer interior than the G37 it is worth owning if not for just a little while to hear that engines high reving scream....but then sell it as fast as you can before it blows up. The only people that think BMWs and German cars relative to Japanese cars are just as reliable have never owned a BMW, they are fan boys, or they are high...

Last edited by G37sGraphite; 08-18-2016 at 02:47 PM.