Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

HELP: Horrible rear bracket rubbing with my new spacers :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:42 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Exclamation HELP: Horrible rear bracket rubbing with my new spacers :(

It may sound dumb but I want coils bc I got my 15mm H&R DRM wheel spacers installed today and I must say they changed the look of my car COMPLETELY! I fell in love all over again! 3mins after leaving the shop I turned right back around and took them off from due to horrible rubbing issues from the bracket I believe, which even took a slice off on one of my new tires and as I looked on my side mirror driving back to the shop seeing the small flap of my tire waving in the air I also noticed the rear tires looked like they were wobbling as I was driving even though I know all the bolts and lugs were tighted extra with the torque gun

I went to 4 different local (no name) mechanic shops and asked if they were able to trim or maybe even remove my rear bracket and possibly fender liner and explained my reasoning as to why. And literally every shop looked at me like I had 4 heads and easy asking they rim hem to cut the car in half and weld it back together again lol

So right now I'm at a complete 100% loss on what to do and where in NJ i can take my car to in order for me to fix this issue. If you're wondering if have Vossen cv3-r wheels and the fronts didn't rub at all and the rears are 20x10.5 +45 offset and tire is a nitto motiva 275/30/20

I don't remember the last time I've been as sad as I felt today any type of insight to this matter would be highly appreciated. I figured I'd get the coils instead and raise the rear which I know in tune in stupidly more expensive than just trimming the bracket myself with a dremel but idk if I can handle that or even do it right

Thanks again for anyone taking the time to read this and has any helpful input of what they would do in my situation.

Kenny

PS

If there's any luck at all what so ever and someone actually knows a place around northern NJ that'll be able to fix whatever the heck it is I need on my car to get everything in order I'd be forever greatful!

Last edited by kennyz424; 04-09-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:38 AM
2doorbryce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyz424
It may sound dumb but I want coils bc I got my 15mm H&R DRM wheel spacers installed today and I must say they changed the look of my car COMPLETELY! I fell in love all over again! 3mins after leaving the shop I turned right back around and took them off from due to horrible rubbing issues from the bracket I believe, which even took a slice off on one of my new tires and as I looked on my side mirror driving back to the shop seeing the small flap of my tire waving in the air I also noticed the rear tires looked like they were wobbling as I was driving even though I know all the bolts and lugs were tighted extra with the torque gun

I went to 4 different local (no name) mechanic shops and asked if they were able to trim or maybe even remove my rear bracket and possibly fender liner and explained my reasoning as to why. And literally every shop looked at me like I had 4 heads and easy asking they rim hem to cut the car in half and weld it back together again lol

So right now I'm at a complete 100% loss on what to do and where in NJ i can take my car to in order for me to fix this issue. If you're wondering if have Vossen cv3-r wheels and the fronts didn't rub at all and the rears are 20x10.5 +45 offset and tire is a nitto motiva 275/30/20

I don't remember the last time I've been as sad as I felt today any type of insight to this matter would be highly appreciated. I figured I'd get the coils instead and raise the rear which I know in tune in stupidly more expensive than just trimming the bracket myself with a dremel but idk if I can handle that or even do it right

Thanks again for anyone taking the time to read this and has any helpful input of what they would do in my situation.

Kenny

PS

If there's any luck at all what so ever and someone actually knows a place around northern NJ that'll be able to fix whatever the heck it is I need on my car to get everything in order ID be forever greatful!
I had the same problem so I shaved the brackets with a dremel. If I were you I would just keep looking for a friend or shop who has a dremel and shave them down. You don't even have to take the wheels off just jack the car up a bit! I shaved it down a decent amount and I still rub just not as much. If it rubs after you shave it down then you can cut it completely off and use double sided thick 3m tape on the inside. it will hold that bumper up no problem and the tape won't be showing either! If you can't find a shop, see if you can borrow a dremel from Someone or just buy one. it's really easy if you cut the whole thing off too. good luck!
Old 04-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
buy a dremel, its a good investment. took me 5 mins per side going slow and easy. can be done in your driveway, no need any shop.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:16 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
buy a dremel, its a good investment. took me 5 mins per side going slow and easy. can be done in your driveway, no need any shop.
You can even go bargain bucket if you have a Harbor Freight close by, their version is $10, sure it's not dremel quality but if you only use it now & then
Rotary Tool Kit - 80 Piece Set
And this is the only thread that I know of w/ a couple pic on the bracket, wish those other pics could be restored

https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-...ml#post3800279

Sorry your tire got sliced
The following users liked this post:
kennyz424 (07-04-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Buy a dremel from walmart and shave it off. return the dremel the next day (or keep it)
Old 04-08-2016, 09:05 AM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Vizard_87
Buy a dremel from walmart and shave it off. return the dremel the next day (or keep it)
agreed! ^^^

I thought the car looked great before with no rubbing problems...!?!
But I think Vizard_87 has a great idea....use it then return it! Tell them it didnt work...
Old 04-08-2016, 10:29 AM
dmg6768
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I had the same rubbing problem with 15mm spacers. Just dremel the bracket, it's extremely easy and a quick fix.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:49 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
agreed! ^^^

I thought the car looked great before with no rubbing problems...!?!
But I think Vizard_87 has a great idea....use it then return it! Tell them it didnt work...
Heck, for $10 how cheap are we, lol.
Plus there are countless uses for those dremels, like trimming your dogs nails, cleaning rusted bolt threads, elongating SPC toe slots, giving your wife a manicure, etc
Old 04-08-2016, 11:06 AM
kennyz424

Truly appreciate all the input. I think I'm going to just man up and buy the dremel and attempt to do this on my own! Any idea on why my rear tires were wobbling as I was driving though? I feel as if I do shave the bracket that it'll fix my rubbing issue but looking into my side mirror while driving and noticing my 2 rear wheels wobbling That had me more concerned then the rubbing itself
Old 04-08-2016, 11:42 AM
dmg6768
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Are you feeling shuddering in the car while you're driving? If not I bet it's just some sort of optical illusion making it look like they're wobbling when they aren't. I would think that if the wheel wobble is visible you'd certainly be feeling it in the car itself.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:52 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
All the more reason to sell those vossen things and buy IPLs bruh!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:53 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Don't drive your car if you notice anything amiss back there. It's possible your spacers aren't seated properly, hopefully your wheels have enough space in those inside pockets.

I'd take a step back and take your time back there, this is something you want to be 100% on.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:01 PM
kennyz424

The guys installing them were a bit hesitant when it came to the space in the inside pickets for the lug nuts in the rears but the owner took a look and said it was fine and they went through with it. If that is the case how do other people get anyway with 15/20/25mm spacers in the rear and I can't

I didn't feel any shuddering at all but I could clearly tell it was wobbling as I was driving.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:46 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Wobbling aint good Ken...something is amiss. Hope it aint your rim is bent ....I hit a pothole once and screwed my rim up .. but surely it was the idiots who installed everything..you gotta do it yourself, take your time and do it right its the only way...the bozos in shops always screw something up.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:52 PM
kennyz424

Highly doubt I bent both rear wheels they are brand new and I've only had them installed for about 3weeks now and don't remember ever hitting a big enough pothole to have that happen. Don't scare me! Lol

I was referred from a fellow forum memeber in Nj to check out a place called Riverside Body and Fender Works and i decided to stop by today and I must say I was blown away with the owner Wayne and how helpful and truly informative he was with my situation. I've never seen an owner so involved with their first time clients. He spent about 25 mins with me outside by my car showing me everything he can do and even did some drawings. Honestly this has probably been the best customer care I've witnessed and I've been doing this for a while.

Now the important part... waiting on a call back with an estimate for everything lol

Quick Reply: HELP: Horrible rear bracket rubbing with my new spacers :(