G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

VIS carbon fiber hood issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:13 PM
demo401

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
my buddy is a machinist said he would fab up a pin/latch thing honestly shouldnt have to be going thru this
The following users liked this post:
Phx-G37s (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 12:46 AM
Phx-G37s

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, if you do, would you mind asking him to make a set for me? Hell, id throw Em a few bucks
Old 01-25-2016, 12:36 PM
scaperd
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Random Question for your Demo. What year is your G? I mainly ask because I wonder if the hood pin was a different size from the G's over the years. I know the 08 G has a number of differences from 09+, and starting in 2010 there are other updates.

With as many vis hoods out there I would have expected this to be a known and talked about issue. Just putting another idea out there.

Vis : I have a tap and die set at home and can find the thread size tonight and let you know what the 08 g37 coupe pin size is. Ill take a picture and post it on the thread to help
Old 01-25-2016, 01:13 PM
bluntz617

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Saw this hood on CL you still selling
Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 PM
VIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phx-G37s
Well, if you do, would you mind asking him to make a set for me? Hell, id throw Em a few bucks
Answered your PM. Still nobody locally has come through. Vendors and installers that I've reached out to said they only used the ones that they got right off the OEM one.

Originally Posted by scaperd
Random Question for your Demo. What year is your G? I mainly ask because I wonder if the hood pin was a different size from the G's over the years. I know the 08 G has a number of differences from 09+, and starting in 2010 there are other updates.

With as many vis hoods out there I would have expected this to be a known and talked about issue. Just putting another idea out there.

Vis : I have a tap and die set at home and can find the thread size tonight and let you know what the 08 g37 coupe pin size is. Ill take a picture and post it on the thread to help
This was another thing I wondered as well. Not sure if the hood was given the wrong end perhaps, or if they have only been using let's say 03-07 female ends, and 08+ uses another size. This could possibly be why the previous owner chose not to, or couldn't install it.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 PM
demo401

mine is a 08. Always thought 08-15 we all the same very little were changed bumpers, interior, Pretty sure the pin is the same
Originally Posted by bluntz617
Saw this hood on CL you still selling
yes thats me u wanna buy my headache?
Old 01-26-2016, 12:06 PM
scaperd
Registered Member

Vis: Just got back from the shop, the OEM hood Latch pin for a 08 G37s coupe is a M8 with a 1.0 thread.
VIS (02-02-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 PM
demo401

well...... looks like theres no solution to this besides: anyone interested in buying this hood beware of the "mods" u will have to do upon install
Old 01-28-2016, 01:03 AM
Phx-G37s

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I bit the bullet so to speak. We will know soon enough. Crossing fingers ...

Another guy in my car group has a white g like me with the terminator style hood, so I really didn't wanna get exact same hood he has. This one just looks so much better. I will be writing up a full review either way this turns out. I just hope it is good and don't have to go thru hassle of returns or fabricating something.

I'm sure I could figure something out if I have to, but in the event they don't fit, I may need to hit up your buddy to fab me a set.
VIS (02-02-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 08:57 AM
scaperd
Registered Member

If vis can't do anything, just google thread reducer. They will easily fix the issue. 10 bucks and you should be good to go.
VIS (02-02-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 11:19 AM
demo401

Another guy in my car group has a white g like me with the terminator style hood, so I really didn't wanna get exact same hood he has. This one just looks so much better. I will be writing up a full review either way this turns out. I just hope it is good and don't have to go thru hassle of returns or fabricating something.

I'm sure I could figure something out if I have to, but in the event they don't fit, I may need to hit up your buddy to fab me a set.
vis doesnt take returns
Old 02-02-2016, 06:41 PM
VIS

Vis: Just got back from the shop, the OEM hood Latch pin for a 08 G37s coupe is a M8 with a 1.0 thread.
Thanks for the information. I will be finding out shortly if this was a localized problem, or if it is just something we've been doing incorrectly.

Likewise.

If vis can't do anything, just google thread reducer. They will easily fix the issue. 10 bucks and you should be good to go.
I'm going to look into this too, because if this is indeed a mistake the production facility made, it doesn't mean that it couldn't happen again.

Originally Posted by demo401
vis doesnt take returns
Returns are accepted, based on our return policy. Some of our distributors have a more flexible return policy than we do, and some are even more strict.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:00 PM
demo401

Originally Posted by VIS
Returns are accepted, based on our return policy. Some of our distributors have a more flexible return policy than we do, and some are even more strict.
i couldve sworn you comment and said hoods are not returnable can another member confirm this because the comment seems to have vanished..

Such a simple problem that has yet to be resolved...
Old 02-02-2016, 08:14 PM
VIS

Originally Posted by demo401
i couldve sworn you comment and said hoods are not returnable can another member confirm this because the comment seems to have vanished..

Such a simple problem that has yet to be resolved...
I can assure you that I have not deleted anything, and any edits would show a time/date stamp. If you're suggesting that a return would have been the resolution, then that is not possible unless it falls within a few factors. Plus there was no way to know what the original buyer paid, unless you were wanting the MSRP for the hood?

- Damages are only returnable if noted for the driver, at the time of delivery, and refused. You are only to write "damaged" on the shipping receipt, and you are not to write or say anything else to the driver.

- Problems with the products must be notified to us within 5 days of receiving the product. (Nothing we make here is 100% fitment, and I'd say our best is about 80% or so. These are aftermarket composite parts, and our production is nowhere near OEM facilities or standards, so we don't use that term, unless describing a style. Even then with the money and technology the OEM manufacturers have, they still have recalls. If it's fitment that's unreasonable, we would be responsible, but not if there's an 1/8-1/4 gap, that usually can be adjusted.)

- Product must be in new, unused condition, and have all packaging material, and original receipt.

- If product was purchased from a VIS Racing distributor, the customer must adhere to that company's policies, since we were not the seller.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:46 PM
demo401

you wouldnt know where it came from. I believe the 1st owner bought it direct. Again you are jumping off topic i dont care to return it never even crossed my mind nor even mentioned it nowhere on this post i honestly dont even care to install it if I did I wouldve easily gotten it done already and fabricated the "correct" latch but since "i dont care" much about the hood I would rather spread the word all over the internet of my experience with "VIS". I told you through email that I wanted to make a youtube video of my "review" (with flammable material and igniter) but that would be way too funny but..... the time may come unless someone wants to buy it for half off

Quick Reply: VIS carbon fiber hood issue?