Sponsored By:

VIS carbon fiber hood issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:54 PM
juan goose
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by demo401
bro the "vis" hood has like two holes on each side. one is threaded the other isnt, which is larger than than the OEM latch apparently VIS "doesnt know what im talking about" why should I take my time out to buy or fabricate a striker/latch because they failed to provide such a simple hardware? Can make a carbon fiber hood but cant thread it to the OEM specs then sells it to costumers and not tell them about it sounds legit? Reason i am supposedly the "first" customer with this issue is because they mostly sell to companies that sell them to their customers and they have no choice but to fab up the latch in order to "sell" the item and please the customer. they wont order a customer a hood install it half assed leaving it not locked to the car drive off and it pops up in to their windshield leaving them liable of course they are going to do whatever it takes to install it right. My hood mustve been purchased direct on their website leaving the purchaser stranded for all i know and left me with the headache when I bought the car. Makes sense doesnt it?
I get the point your trying to get to about attempting to get customer service to assist you with the issue with the hood. Make sense to reach out and see if the vendor has the hardware, but something I have learned about some aftermarket vendors. They do not have extra hardware for products. They purchase items from a manufacturer that source out the item to many vendors. Its sold as a " package" of x amount of items and that's it. That's why it take some time often when there is a problem with an order for a correction to take place. They contact the manufacturer and try to find out where the deficit is.

And my opinion to this is. Its like trying to have lets say gaskets for test pipes from a seller when you purchased them second hand on the forums. Yes they come with them when you buy them new but they will say that you have to buy the gaskets.

Just seems like the strikers are a bit harder to find than gaskets so that does make this harder. As to why they are not OEM size does not make much sense either. Should be to make install easier. It did occur to me for you to try and find out what type of insert you have. More specific the pitch and thread size of it and see if another vehicle uses that kind. Yes much work goes into it but just a suggestion. Some also suggest the latch pins, like Lt8Che did, for composite hoods due to the isolated stress of the area. Might cause cracks over time and maybe one day while driving the inserts give and the hood slams onto your windshield. Farfetched but has happened.

Vis here you can help. Does your hood sell with strikers? Would you happen to know the pitch and thread of the insert that's used? And last what's your company policy if say during install I bend a striker. for me to get a replacement?

Sorry for the long read and all.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:58 PM
VIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juan goose
I get the point your trying to get to about attempting to get customer service to assist you with the issue with the hood. Make sense to reach out and see if the vendor has the hardware, but something I have learned about some aftermarket vendors. They do not have extra hardware for products. They purchase items from a manufacturer that source out the item to many vendors. Its sold as a " package" of x amount of items and that's it. That's why it take some time often when there is a problem with an order for a correction to take place. They contact the manufacturer and try to find out where the deficit is.

And my opinion to this is. Its like trying to have lets say gaskets for test pipes from a seller when you purchased them second hand on the forums. Yes they come with them when you buy them new but they will say that you have to buy the gaskets.

Just seems like the strikers are a bit harder to find than gaskets so that does make this harder. As to why they are not OEM size does not make much sense either. Should be to make install easier. It did occur to me for you to try and find out what type of insert you have. More specific the pitch and thread size of it and see if another vehicle uses that kind. Yes much work goes into it but just a suggestion. Some also suggest the latch pins, like Lt8Che did, for composite hoods due to the isolated stress of the area. Might cause cracks over time and maybe one day while driving the inserts give and the hood slams onto your windshield. Farfetched but has happened.

Vis here you can help. Does your hood sell with strikers? Would you happen to know the pitch and thread of the insert that's used? And last what's your company policy if say during install I bend a striker. for me to get a replacement?

That's the original advice I gave to the OP. That's what he wasn't satisfied with. I don't know if it's an OEM size or not, because I don't have access to a G37 to test it at that time. I have just received a shipment of AMS style hoods, and will take and provide pictures of it, as it comes on Monday. Now that I have the hood back in stock, I'm going to take a look at everything, since I couldn't do it during this whole ordeal, since I also stated that there weren't any here. Initially seeing the back side as they brought it into the photo room, our hoods do not come with hardware, and the catch is transferred from the OEM hood.

As for the hood pins, it's something we recommend for safety reasons, and Lt8che used it for that, and fitment. However after speaking to him, I asked immediately if he was using gas struts. The hoods we make are composite, and flexible. They don't have the tensile strength that the metal hoods do, so it's never good to use those in front, or in the trunk, or tensioning rods in the trunk. Given that characteristic, people who have warped their parts have been able to weigh it down (if they're in an area with hot weather), and leave it for the day under the weight of a safe object that won't slide off, and the gap progressively went down.

Now that I have the hood back in stock, I'm going to take a look at everything, since I couldn't do it during this whole ordeal, since I also stated that there weren't any here. Initially seeing the back side as they brought it into the photo room, our hoods do not come with hardware, and the catch is transferred from the OEM hood.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:38 PM
juan goose
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Alright then got it. I'll measure my strikers tomorrow and report those findings. Thanks for the response and looking forward to your inspection of the ams hood
Old 01-16-2016, 12:44 AM
demo401

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
VIS you continue to tell me the history on the hood like that really matters. Had I bought the hood personally wouldve you given me the same "service"? The hood was brand new. And i repeat it again MY situation with the original owner of the hood is irrelevant along with most of the point you say. I, ME, am having hardware issue with the AMS hood. Not the last owner not joe shoe not Donald Trump. Basically youre telling me im beat since im not the original purchaser? And of course I wasnt happy with your "advice" you told me to some how fabricate it myself with home improvement parts you completely ignored my last comment here because im sure you know I am right. Thats like me buying my G and i need a OEM part from the dealer I call infinity and they tell me go to autozone or discuss it with previous owner come on man get real here.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:49 AM
demo401

Originally Posted by juan goose

Bro I dont think he knows that info he didnt know what my problem was through email the entire whole time but suddenly on this thread he does BUT... still as unhelpful as he was from the first email i got from him
Old 01-16-2016, 01:35 AM
VaderK52

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Mods can we please close or lock this thread. The vendor at hand hasn't resolved the issue in a timely nor professional manner. Ban them from business activities here if no resolution and let's move on. Childish on VIS part..stand by your product or don't reply..this back and forth is foolishness. It's straight bs for the comsumer and I feel his angst...make it right for him already.

Last edited by VaderK52; 01-16-2016 at 01:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
demo401 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:40 AM
demo401

Originally Posted by VaderK52
Mods can we please close or lock this thread. The vendor at hand hasn't resolved the issue in a timely nor professional manner. Ban them from business activities here if no resolution and let's move on.
VIS doesnt do any type of business or advertising here he just started his profile just so he could comment on here. During our email exchange I sent him the link to this thread so that others are aware of my situation or seeking help from members that may have experienced this issue
Old 01-17-2016, 07:37 PM
VaderK52

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
VIS doesnt do any type of business or advertising here he just started his profile just so he could comment on here. During our email exchange I sent him the link to this thread so that others are aware of my situation or seeking help from members that may have experienced this issue
My point still stands..Ban him, he's not professional,to have created a profile to continue to spew foul customer support is utter bs. Since he's not a supporting vendor here, he should be banned immediately no validity questions asked in advance. ..imo.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:54 PM
demo401

My point still stands..Ban him, he's not professional,to have created a profile to continue to spew foul customer support is utter bs. Since he's not a supporting vendor here, he should be banned immediately no validity questions asked in advance. ..imo.
Agreed
Old 01-18-2016, 06:35 PM
VIS

VIS you continue to tell me the history on the hood like that really matters. Had I bought the hood personally wouldve you given me the same "service"? The hood was brand new. And i repeat it again MY situation with the original owner of the hood is irrelevant along with most of the point you say. I, ME, am having hardware issue with the AMS hood. Not the last owner not joe shoe not Donald Trump. Basically youre telling me im beat since im not the original purchaser? And of course I wasnt happy with your "advice" you told me to some how fabricate it myself with home improvement parts you completely ignored my last comment here because im sure you know I am right. Thats like me buying my G and i need a OEM part from the dealer I call infinity and they tell me go to autozone or discuss it with previous owner come on man get real here.
Yes, it did matter, since I told you I didn't have a hood to check here, and was relying on what you had to answer your question. If we provided hardware with the hoods, and you didn't have any, then I wouldn't be able to help. Not ignoring anything either, because the answer I'm posting publicly, is the same one I gave you. I wasn't aware if the hood came with hardware or not. I've verified now that it doesn't, so the only importance of knowing whether you purchased it second hand or new, is if anything was removed. From people I've asked, the catches are removed from your OEM hood, and transferred onto our product. This is now what I'm waiting to verify myself, when I can get a car in here to test the OEM bolt into the hood. If it doesn't fit for any reason, I will inform anyone who purchases the hood that they may have to purchase their own bolts, but having an OEM bolt, I can give them a more general idea of what the bolt head and depth is. Pitch would be something they'd need to try out.

As for the service, it would be the same, if your emails back to me were the same. Your emails were just insults and profanity, because I didn't give you the answer you wanted. All answers I gave in here, are the same as what you were given. Nothing has changed. I did however update what comes with the hood and so forth, now that I have one here. This should all look like the same answers that you were given, in regards to why your catch was not fitting with the bolts. Did you perhaps check if he attempted to install the hood before, and the bolt was cross-threaded?

Bro I dont think he knows that info he didnt know what my problem was through email the entire whole time but suddenly on this thread he does BUT... still as unhelpful as he was from the first email i got from him
How is that? I still don't know what the diameter, thread, pitch and so forth is, but I did confirm now that ours does not come with hardware. What I was told when asking others, is that the OEM bolts fit into the threaded ends of the hood, and that 3 of the strikers are transferred from the OEM hood.

Mods can we please close or lock this thread. The vendor at hand hasn't resolved the issue in a timely nor professional manner. Ban them from business activities here if no resolution and let's move on. Childish on VIS part..stand by your product or don't reply..this back and forth is foolishness. It's straight bs for the comsumer and I feel his angst...make it right for him already.

I don't understand what I've done that wasn't timely. The matter was addressed before this thread was created by Demo. My purpose here was to just address his comments. I really don't think you've taken time to read my replies, or Demo's. I don't expect him to write in a certain way since, he's just a regular person, but I don't think I've done anything wrong, or have I said anything in a rude or unprofessional manner. What a few have pointed out is that I used "LOL" in my email... General emails are not like forums with emoticons, and the "LOL" was to not give the email an attacking tone. I did state openly that the first remark was sarcastic, because of the insults and replies I received. If Demo would approve it, I can post his replies to me in here, if you feel you would like to judge my replies.

As for "banning", there are certain terms and conditions that are agreed to before being able to join. I am not a vendor, so I'm abiding by those rules. If I was a vendor, and an issue like this arose in a thread I opened, it can be locked if an issue wasn't resolved. That wouldn't even be grounds to ban. Besides that I've also provided answers to things that I was able to in this thread. I've still read my replies again, to see where I was spewing "foul customer service", but haven't found anything. If there's something you want to point out, I would definitely like to know if I was wrong in any way. I'm not above criticism, because I can't change what I don't know.

Last edited by VIS; 01-18-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:39 PM
VIS

I'm trying to find OEM bolts to verify the size, now that the hood is here. This is how it comes, without hardware.

First image is the underside, then the center striker, driver's side, and then the passenger side. The center has a glassed in threaded opening on either side, and each of the side ones have one each.
Attached Thumbnails VIS carbon fiber hood issue?-g37-ams-back.jpg   VIS carbon fiber hood issue?-g37-ams-middle-catch.jpg   VIS carbon fiber hood issue?-g37-ams-driver-side-catch.jpg   VIS carbon fiber hood issue?-g37-ams-passenger-side-catch.jpg  
Old 01-18-2016, 07:27 PM
demo401

Honestly tired of this post already.. I'll say it again. My OEM latch/pin whatever u want to call it does not properly fit the thread thats on the AMS hood. I think I would know if my hood or my latch was not oem. As far as what size my latch/pin is idk as far as what thread size the AMS hood has idk neither i know its larger diameter than the oem. Have I taken the time out to figure this out no. Was kind of hoping you would do that for me since you are the "Director of Marketing" and would "know" better than I would. And yes you can post whatever email I sent you its not going to benefit you in any way but hurt you IMO. Feel free to post the whole conversation Fred..

By the way all the threads all line up on the AMS hood EXCEPT the two hood latches on both left and right
The following users liked this post:
VIS (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 07:49 PM
VIS

Honestly tired of this post already.. I'll say it again. My OEM latch/pin whatever u want to call it does not properly fit the thread thats on the AMS hood. I think I would know if my hood or my latch was not oem. As far as what size my latch/pin is idk as far as what thread size the AMS hood has idk neither i know its larger diameter than the oem. Have I taken the time out to figure this out no. Was kind of hoping you would do that for me since you are the "Director of Marketing" and would "know" better than I would. And yes you can post whatever email I sent you its not going to benefit you in any way but hurt you IMO. Feel free to post the whole conversation Fred..

By the way all the threads all line up on the AMS hood EXCEPT the two hood latches on both left and right
Was not referring to your bolt not being OEM, especially since it still fits your factory hood. My question was if it wasn't fitting because it may be cross-threaded from the previous owner trying to install it, and doing it incorrectly. The threaded ends that are glassed in do not come from here as I've stated. The way this was "designed" was to utilize the stock hardware, otherwise we'd have to include something that was different. Of all that I've asked (only 3-4 so far), they've reused their OEM hardware without issue. That's why I was checking to see why yours was localized. If it is a localized issue, and the factory used an incorrect threaded end for any reason, I wouldn't have your hood here, so you'd have to research the bolt that way, since they're the only ones with that much variety, and I've done the same for my spoiler. If it's cross-threaded, then no bolt will fit, because you will need to re-tap that threaded end.

As for the emails you wrote to me, I am not posting them for my own benefit. I know what was sent to me, and you know what you wrote. The permission wasn't an attack or call out on you, but there are people in here that feel I was out of line. Vader offered up many opinions, but I'm not entirely sure what he was basing them on. I don't feel my sarcasm was out of line, and if people wanted to see why that was my reply, then I would post it, given your permission now. I wouldn't just post it to try to gain favoritism, or backing.

I'm currently trying to find a stock G37 who will allow me to try the bolts from their hood, so I can get verification on whether the threaded end on our hoods are correct, or flawed.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:48 PM
demo401

smh... dude my oem latch are NOT cross threaded there is nothing wrong with my threads at all, The cut outs on the ams hood is larger than the oem bolt we discussed this already as well i believe 4 times in email. How can I explain this in a way that it is "appropriate"....my oem latch= my shoe size 9.5 my wife buys me a Size 11 sneakers. The AMS hood thread cut= shoe size 11 my feet wont fit a shoe size 11 my feet is loose in the sz 11 because I wear a size 9.5

My oem latch= 9.5 in a sneaker size
AMS hood cut thread= 11 in a sneaker size

The pics speak for themselves I sent you these pics already through email awhile back. You also said the threaded ends that are glassed do not come from you guys but the pics you posted shows they ARE threaded so who is threading these? And you dont know the bolt specs to this thread? Have not answered that yet. Also I will repeat it again, My ams hood was never installed. NEVER til the day I tried and that was when I noticed the latch slid right up through the ams thread. The hood can stay in the dungeon for all I care Im just hoping this will not cause a headache for other potential customers you may have. However I did want to mount it when going to car shows/meets
Attached Thumbnails VIS carbon fiber hood issue?-img_4680-1-.jpg   VIS carbon fiber hood issue?-img_4679-1-.jpg   VIS carbon fiber hood issue?-img_4681-1-.jpg   VIS carbon fiber hood issue?-img_4599-1-.png  

Last edited by demo401; 01-18-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Phx-G37s

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was just about to purchase this hood tonight and did a search on forums, and came across this. They are only ones that make something different than the carbon creations or terminator clone or whatever one that I don't like or the Chinese one that is clone of autokits old one. So probably still will have to buy. Unless someone know another hood?

Anyway, to play devils advocate a little, I wonder if your bolt holes were stripped or something? You ever think why the hood wasn't on the vehicle when you bought it? Maybe the original owner messed up when installing the hood and stripped the holes or used something in its place that damaged it causing your oem not to work. Then he just passed the buck on to you. Too bad you don't have a receipt. It seems more likely the issue be with him and not vis, as we haven't heard anything like this before. Since it does not come w hardware and its oem transfer, it's more than likely this.

If I do purchase the hood after all, hopefully I don't run into the same problem. If I do then I hope I can figure something out to make it work. If not, then I should be able to return it considering I am buying it myself and not through a third party deal.

VIS Please post here when you figure out if the oem bolts thread up with no problems please, as it most likely will determine if I buy or not or need to give time for you guys to fix.

Quick Reply: VIS carbon fiber hood issue?