Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

OEM Backup camera install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:05 PM
GDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Backup camera install question

Hello, I have been searching the forum for this info but unable to find it.

Can anyone tell me if I order one of those cheap chrome wings with included backup camera from ebay, can i take the camera and install it on my g37s?

I was googling this and someone mentioned the g37 is prewired for backup camera, but wanted to find out if there is anything else I'd need to purchase

Cheers,

Dave
Old 02-15-2015, 10:13 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Everything might bolt up to the prewired plug but I believe the relays in your headunit are different which means it won't auto display when put into reverse.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:04 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 1,016 Posts
I did it on my 2008 G37 Coupe, Bose, non-NAV, it is NOT plug-and-play as there is no wiring harness for the camera. I did have a extra harness connector for the 3rd brake light (the chrome spoiler one) which I don't have so I was able to modify that somewhat. Hardest part of install was running the video wire from the camera to the center console RCA video input jack.

Keep in mind that this might vary depending on your model year and if you have NAV or not. Also, this project would depend on what what you're wanting to accomplish.

Previous poster was right, the AV unit will not automatically switch to camera image when the car is placed into Reverse. I have to press AUX (which is mainly on all the time for other "unmentionable reasons") but I only need the camera when backing in tight or congested areas so this is of no real concern to me.

Also keep in mind, the camera only produces the image. If you want the guidelines and the ability for the guidelines to move with the steering wheel, that is a more complex project as it would require the camera control unit, the steering angle sensor, and a ton of wiring. I'm not sure how that would all pan out. But if you want just the image, the whole project took me less than 3 hours.

For the record: I bought the chrome spoiler with camera, OEM from a eBay salvage yard, for about $75. Works perfectly for my needs. If you decide to buy separate pieces be sure to get exact parts for each. A camera from the coupe will not fit into the chrome spoiler from a convertible and vice versa. While the cameras are identical, the metal mounting bracket is completely different.
The following users liked this post:
GDave (02-17-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 12:02 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
If the camera isn't as integrated as it is with Infinit, can you turn on the camera anytime? That's one feature I wish I had on mine...the ability to use the camera anytime.

There is a way to do it, and it involves the hidden settings menu, but I don't want to do it that way, I just want a button called CAMERA and anytime I press it, I get the camera's feed.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:26 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
If the camera isn't as integrated as it is with Infinit, can you turn on the camera anytime? That's one feature I wish I had on mine...the ability to use the camera anytime.

There is a way to do it, and it involves the hidden settings menu, but I don't want to do it that way, I just want a button called CAMERA and anytime I press it, I get the camera's feed.
It's achievable and quite "easy" actually at least for non factory installed camera. Just tap into a 12v power source and hack the head unit (do a Google search and info can be found on nycg forum). You can send me pm if you have other questions because this is a forbidden mod to discuss.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:29 PM
GDave

Thanks much for that very detailed reply - that was all the info I wanted. I think I'll purchase it, but will have to figure out the wiring harness
Old 02-17-2015, 10:47 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Just for reference if you go the ORM route:
The OEM camera harness has 4 wires:

Attachment 110267

RED= 12v (+)
BLACK= shield (?)
YELLOW= video signal
WHITE= ground wire (-)

I ran one wire from the camera (YELLOW) through to the center console where I tapped into the video signal wire there. I didn't use the RCA plugs because my iPhone (soon to be Apple TV) uses them for something else. Don't ask.

RED (+) and WHITE (-) self-explanatory.

I'm sure the BLACK (SHIELD) wire serves some purpose but the camera works fine without it connected to anything so I left that alone.

This is how I did it on my coupe. The whole install took about 2 hours- running the video wire the most time consuming.

Except for the lack of guidelines- which I didn't want- and having to hit AUX- a temporary inconvenience until I get my other camera projects underway- the rearview camera works absolutely perfectly for my needs.

Hope some of this helps!

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 05-15-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:50 PM
VRR

Hi all,

I bought a 2009 Infinity G37 non-nav recently and was trying to install a back-up camera. I found a 4 pin connector for camera (I think) near the trunk open button. Does the screen automatically turns to rear view camera display, if I wire the camera to this connector? or do I need to modify something at the head unit to activate this feature?
Old 12-27-2022, 05:36 PM
Bigrodrick
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VRR
Hi all,

I bought a 2009 Infinity G37 non-nav recently and was trying to install a back-up camera. I found a 4 pin connector for camera (I think) near the trunk open button. Does the screen automatically turns to rear view camera display, if I wire the camera to this connector? or do I need to modify something at the head unit to activate this feature?
Mine is red black yellow blue wires coming from the camera, which color is what?
Old 12-27-2022, 05:52 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Blue?
Is this is a OEM (rear) camera or aftermarket?
Old 12-27-2022, 06:14 PM
Bigrodrick
Registered Member

I looks like the OEM one I just bought the car and the camera plugs into the harness in the trunk lid, but that's not the original trunk for my car cause it didn't have back up camera factory
Old 12-27-2022, 06:40 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

The (OEM) rear camera FOR THE G37 has four (4) wires:
Red= power (+);
White= ground (-);
Yellow= Video Signal; and
Black= shield wire.

I am not sure what your "blue" wire is/ goes to as this color does not show up for any Nissan camera that I know of offhand...

If you are able/ willing, perhaps post a pic or two of the camera/ harness and we can go from there.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:11 PM
2007 g35x sedan
Registered Member

Smile aftermarket backup camera on while driing

Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
It's achievable and quite "easy" actually at least for non factory installed camera. Just tap into a 12v power source and hack the head unit (do a Google search and info can be found on nycg forum). You can send me pm if you have other questions because this is a forbidden mod to discuss.

I've installed a aftermarket backup camera that I got off amazon on my 2007 g35x sedan since around August, and it works great, tapped into passenger side reverse light for power (orange to red, black to black), but I have been trying to make the camera display 24/7, even while driving. I know on the newer gen g37 with backup camera as a factory option you can access it through the secret settings menu, I was looking for the solution for all of us with aftermarket cameras. Any help would be appreciated.