Sponsored By:

IPL Mod Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:18 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
IPL Mod Setup

Time to say goodbye to my 350Z b/ I finally found a used IPL 6MT! Bought car yesterday (2011 graphite w/ 23k mi), tires are shot so ride is sub-par right now, but I couldn't be happier otherwise.

Buying a bunch of parts first thing tomorrow morning. Here is what's on the horizon:

-SPC full camber kit
-KW v1 (strongly considered going swift springs, just want to go a smidge lower (maybe that's a bad idea tho)
-Spacers (either 15mm or 20mm)

-Stillen g3 intake
-Res test pipes (still deciding on brand but FI seems to be forum consensus)
-Uprev tune

After reading everything I could find on the subject, I feel this mod setup gives you the best bang for the buck without overlapping with the extras you get from buying IPL over S. From what I have seen, stock IPLs are putting around 287 to the wheels. I'm expecting (hoping) I will be around the 310-315 mark when all is said and done; which although is a little ambitious, doesn't seem unreasonable from other members results. I'll post pics after I do suspension as well as before and after Dyno results for reference. Suggestions/Opinions welcomed...

Last edited by sobeIPL; 10-20-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats on the pick up and good luck with the modding, should be able to get the 310 to the wheels I think. Post some pics after drop and spacers, should look sweeettt.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:18 PM
G Nepal

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Congrats on your new IPL . One thing that I don't understand is, why would you pay more for an IPL if you are gonna replace the exact parts you paid extra for? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't IPL an IPL because of the performance: tune, suspension and exhaust? You could've just got a base and invested the difference on the mods.. just my honest opinion.
The following users liked this post:
sprix (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM
inknartg37

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sobeIPL
Time to say goodbye to my 350Z b/ I finally found a used IPL 6MT! Bought car yesterday (2011 graphite w/ 23k mi), tires are shot so ride is sub-par right now, but I couldn't be happier otherwise.

Buying a bunch of parts first thing tomorrow morning. Here is what's on the horizon:

-SPC full camber kit
-KW v1 (strongly considered going swift springs, just want to go a smidge lower (maybe that's a bad idea tho)
-Spacers (either 15mm or 20mm)

-Stillen g3 intake
-Res test pipes (still deciding on brand but FI seems to be forum consensus)
-Uprev tune

After reading everything I could find on the subject, I feel this mod setup gives you the best bang for the buck without overlapping with the extras you get from buying IPL over S. From what I have seen, stock IPLs are putting around 287 to the wheels. I'm expecting (hoping) I will be around the 310-315 mark when all is said and done; which although is a little ambitious, doesn't seem unreasonable from other members results. I'll post pics after I do suspension as well as before and after Dyno results for reference. Suggestions/Opinions welcomed...
If your strictly going for looks you should get 20mm spacers and an eibach pro kit, your car will sit perfectly and be in stock specifications after alignment if you want to save some $$$
Old 10-21-2013, 02:47 PM
BeefMaster

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
You're losing the IPL tune. I honestly wouldn't expect to make much power more than what the IPL already provides.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:00 PM
The_finest_G
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
congrats on the 6mt!!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Ordered suspension today. Eibachs sit way to high for my liking, so swift is where I'd be if were to do springs, but I ultimately bit the bullet and I went with the KW v1. I want to be a little lower than swift and I'm not the type to always play w/ strut settings so the adjustable v3 seemed like overkill. Also went 20F/15R (mm) on the spacers. I figured that was a common setup already and should I decide to go all the same, one way or the other, I only need to buy one more set. And finally, hopefully SPC kit keeps me nicely aligned.

As far as why get IPL and mess with it, on top of it being a fully loaded "S" you get (in order of importance IMO) the kit, the wheels and the CBE (and don't forget IPL badge!). I'm not screwing with any of that. A CAI and HFC aren't really replacing "precious IPL" parts and the tune will help sync it all up. From what i have seen, this will yield reasonable power gains over stock IPL (and make it sound tougher too).

Also keep in mind in the secondary (used) market, your not paying as much extra for an IPL over a "S" as compares to brand new. I didn't pay that much more than a really nice fully loaded 2011 "S" for my 2011 IPL (maybe a few thou).
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
So basically you bought an IPL to turn it into what everyone else on this forum has. Make sense to me!
G Nepal (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 AM
inknartg37

Originally Posted by sobeIPL
Ordered suspension today. Eibachs sit way to high for my liking, so swift is where I'd be if were to do springs, but I ultimately bit the bullet and I went with the KW v1. I want to be a little lower than swift and I'm not the type to always play w/ strut settings so the adjustable v3 seemed like overkill. Also went 20F/15R (mm) on the spacers. I figured that was a common setup already and should I decide to go all the same, one way or the other, I only need to buy one more set. And finally, hopefully SPC kit keeps me nicely aligned.

As far as why get IPL and mess with it, on top of it being a fully loaded "S" you get (in order of importance IMO) the kit, the wheels and the CBE (and don't forget IPL badge!). I'm not screwing with any of that. A CAI and HFC aren't really replacing "precious IPL" parts and the tune will help sync it all up. From what i have seen, this will yield reasonable power gains over stock IPL (and make it sound tougher too).

Also keep in mind in the secondary (used) market, your not paying as much extra for an IPL over a "S" as compares to brand new. I didn't pay that much more than a really nice fully loaded 2011 "S" for my 2011 IPL (maybe a few thou).
The Eibachs sit perfectly flush with stock wheels and 20mm spacers, I had them with my 2013 G37S
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM
ReD2847

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sitting flush with eibach has nothing to do with why he does t want them. He said its because they sit too HIGH and I completely agree with that.
IPL Twin (06-24-2019)
Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 PM
inknartg37

Originally Posted by ReD2847
Sitting flush with eibach has nothing to do with why he does t want them. He said its because they sit too HIGH and I completely agree with that.
Haha now i understand what you're saying... I thought he was referring to the space between the tire and fender...
Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 PM
G Nepal

Originally Posted by inknartg37
Haha now i understand what you're saying... I thought he was referring to the space between the tire and fender...
I used to be on Eibach PK and replaced them with Tein H.. Not low enough. Now I am on KWv3 which is perfect!
Old 10-22-2013, 02:09 PM
G Nepal

Originally Posted by Tazicon
So basically you bought an IPL to turn it into what everyone else on this forum has. Make sense to me!
The way you said it reminded me of this lol..

Name:  p8dca_zps6f6a1e83.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  147.9 KB
Old 10-22-2013, 02:57 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

That is hilarious!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Darkstar752

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Like the others, not sure why you bought an IPL, especially since it's a stock OEM exterior color, hope you at least got red interior. Basically paid for a body kit if not.

Originally Posted by BeefMaster
You're losing the IPL tune. I honestly wouldn't expect to make much power more than what the IPL already provides.
I/TP/E + Tune would put him at 330whp, 40hp+ is a decent amount.

Quick Reply: IPL Mod Setup