Originally Posted by Jsolo
What we need is an automatic manual with 3 pedals - CBW - clutch by wire
CBW, coming to your favorite auto soon
Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 PM
GXXXVII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT or Auto vs Age!

Originally Posted by WillCo1
Halfshaft, I am in the same exact boat as you are in now. I'll be buying a pre-owned G37 coupe in the next couple months. I am almost dead set on the 7 speed auto. But there is that part of me that keeps saying to go for the 6 speed stick.

Im older now, and when I was a kid it was fun to drive stick shift cars. Race around and what ever.

However, EVERY time I was in stop and go traffic for more than a few minutes, the stick shift really got annoying.

Like you said, if I had 2 or 3 vehicles, then I would surely get a manual G37. But for something that I'm going to be driving around the city everyday, I think the auto is my best bet.

I mean, the 6 speed stick G37 has the coolness factor, but the older I get the less important that is.
Want to stay young, then do what your heart tells you! I have 3 boys in their 20s and they refer to me (their 58 year old dad), as the hot rodder in the family. I have a big dog k9 chopper with 117 CI motor, a six speed maxima that I put 100k miles on driving daily to work. And now Im the proud owner of a 2010 G37S MT - I love this car! Already studying the mods Im going to make - I pray I never grow out of this stage!!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by GXXXVII
Want to stay young, then do what your heart tells you! I have 3 boys in their 20s and they refer to me (their 58 year old dad), as the hot rodder in the family. I have a big dog k9 chopper with 117 CI motor, a six speed maxima that I put 100k miles on driving daily to work. And now Im the proud owner of a 2010 G37S MT - I love this car! Already studying the mods Im going to make - I pray I never grow out of this stage!!
Cool, cept you need to change your nic to GXXXXXVIII
Old 10-14-2013, 03:04 PM
NightInSeoul

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Cool, cept you need to change your nic to GXXXXXVIII
Made me laugh out loud at work. ^_^
Old 10-14-2013, 03:08 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I was in that boat too but chose the 7spd auto . For one I needed AWD and the manual I'm traffic may be a bit tuff. But the paddles don't shift as slow as said before maybe 200 Rpm's slow and if that worries you just slap
It in DS mod and never hit it . I love my paddles drive with them all the time my car has NEVER seen D . LOL .
Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Doubleminded
20+ cars the G was the worst drive of them all. Beautiful exterior when done RIGHT. Anyhow I hated the shift point, the stiff clutch and clunk of it, drove 3 at dealer so this IS how the 6mt drives. Just not a smooth car at all, a Honda with 200,000miles has a smoother clutch. Honestly I had to mod it to make it comfortable, and actually quick. People might go bat **** on me, but honest the G is a weak car in both the sport/luxury car that it is. Lexus F all the way, BMW m series both worlds better IMO!
So why exactly did you buy the G..?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I think it depends on your driving situation ... If you use your G as a DD and travel in a metropolitan area with constant stop and go traffic, manual can be a real PIA .... I like the AT and drop it into DS mode if I'm feeling frisky.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
I think it depends on your driving situation ... If you use your G as a DD and travel in a metropolitan area with constant stop and go traffic, manual can be a real PIA .... I like the AT and drop it into DS mode if I'm feeling frisky.
I agree, and that’s why these AT vs. MT threads are a bit silly.

Perhaps the whole argument will be settled in the near future as more manufacturers, including Nissan which is already cutting back on MT production, revert to AT cars only.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:27 PM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i have a 6MT and wished i would have gone with Auto. obviously the MT is more engaging but ease of drive and my girl not knowing how to drive MT i think i will eventually get a Auto.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 PM
G2Nice

Glad I found this thread. I was eventually thinking about picking up a used G37 for a weekend car. I want a M/T G37S, but I live in NYC and have to think about the winter months as well, so a G37X with paddle shifters is also in the cards. The fact that I'm reading the M/T isn't that great also moves me towards a G37X.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 AM
halfshaft

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I did some reading of some reviews on the 7AT. Its interesting how there are a fair amount of contradictory reviews.

"Buyers may opt for either a six-speed manual transmission or the slick seven-speed automatic found in our tester. We typically wince any time we spot two pedals in a sports car, but Nissan has worked to make the automatic in the IPL G37 Coupe as engaging as possible. The transmission boasts rev-matching downshifts from column-mounted paddle shifters as well as adaptive shift control. Drive like an all-out hooligan and the gearbox will actually match its shift points to your habits. While that tech is anything but new, Nissan has done a good job of applying the system in the G37. Whereas other adaptive shift systems can feel muddled and confused as often than not, the IPL quickly switches between relaxed around town shifts and more aggressive hard-throttle swaps. Consider us impressed."

2012 Infiniti G37 IPL Review - Autoblog

"Except for the manual gearbox, the Infiniti G37 Coupe is a real thrill to drive. The only reason this car has row ‘em yourself gears, and the only reason the row ‘em yourself gearbox was installed in our test vehicle, is because the enthusiast media in this country cries bloody-freaking-murder whenever a vehicle like this arrives without a transmission like that.

Well, in this Infiniti, you get a manual, but it feels like it belongs in a Nissan Frontier. The clutch is difficult to modulate, it feels clunky between gates with notchy engagement, and this is a tough car to launch smoothly. Plus, fuel economy ratings take a 10% hit – no good when premium is selling for close to $5 gallon in some parts of the country.

I love manuals. I own a car with a manual gearbox. But if I were buying a G37 Coupe, I would take the 7-speed automatic with Adaptive Shift Control, Drive Sport Mode, Downshift Rev Matching, and better gas mileage."

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe Road Test and Review | Autobytel.com

"
That power is now better transferred with the help of an all-new transmission. The new seven-speed automatic transmission is silky smooth around town, shifting seamlessly at a leisurely pace or quickly when you're in a big fat hurry. And when it's time to get down and dirty, switch it to manual and the paddle shifters reward you with redline acceleration and very respectable shift times. If you're not a big fan of paddle shifters, the ones in the G37 may change your mind. We found them more engaging than most wheel-mounted units with an easy to remember right-is-up, left-is-down setup.
"

Review: 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe - Autoblog

370z 7AT review
"Moving the shifter to the left from D to manual mode puts the car in a sporting mind-set, with the paddles calling forth sharp, lightning-quick shifts that helped this car set the quickest acceleration times we’ve yet recorded from the new Z: 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds and the quarter-mile in 13.1 at 108 mph, quicker by 0.2 and 0.3 second and 1 mph than our quickest manual car. With both the automatic and the do-it-yourself transmission, the 370Z is EPA rated at 18 mpg city/26 mpg highway. We saw 18 with the auto, down 1 mpg from the manual 370Z.

A pull on the left paddle nets a rev-matching downshift that will convince any bystander you are using both feet. The one negative we noted was a reluctance to crack off seamless multigear jumps. Call for a two-gear drop, and the engine briefly hangs up on the first before dropping into the second, sapping some of the joy and confidence from quick two-lane passes.

Aside from that hesitation, though, manually selected shifts feel so utterly natural that a passenger might not even notice your hands never leave the wheel as you chase the fast time through a winding backstretch. But they jolt the car so much that you really don’t want to shift for yourself while trundling around town, as there is no way to do so smoothly. Slide the shifter into D, and the car settles into commuting mode with slower and softer gearchanges."

2009 Nissan 370Z Automatic - Short Take Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

"Tellingly the automatic 370Z has a pair of long metal and leather paddles attached to its steering column that would look at home in a Ferrari with the F1 Superfast system. So it may not have the wonderful DCT twin-clutch GT-R transmission, but it seems that Nissan hasn't just thrown any old auto at the 370Z to appease that strange breed who don't want to change gear even in a sportscar - those sculpted paddles hint that this is a properly resolved package.

And so it proves. The 7-speeds are very tightly stacked - perhaps a bit too tightly as you do find yourself hunting between 2nd and 3rd as the road wriggles ahead of you - and the torque converter locks-up very quickly, giving you a direct link to the rear wheels from the throttle pedal. It punches home upshifts with a bit of a kick (think PDK on Sport) but doesn't feel contrived. There's also an effective blip on downshifts and overall it's great when in manual mode. Nearly a match for the IS-F 8-speed automatic 'box and a bit less confusing. However, it's not as smooth as a ZF 6-speeder in something like a 3-Series BMW when in full auto mode. If it was my 370Z (which would be nice), then I'd stick with the manual 'box, but the 7-speed auto shouldn't be looked upon as a clunker."

Nissan 370Z Automatic Transmission Review from Driver's Republic - Nissan 370Z Forum

These all make the 7AT sound great, but I know I've read members here and elsewhere also complain about some harsh shifts and lag. hmmm
Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 AM
JaySin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't compare the G37 and Z automatics. Yes, they both have 7 gears, but it's apples and oranges. Also, the 2009 versus 2012/2013 G37 isn't 100% fair either. The programming is different. The older ones can be updated however to fix the minor annoyances. I've driven LOTS of automatics and the 7AT in the G37x is so far, the smoothest and most responsive. Best overall? No, probably not. It's certainly good enough to consider over a manual with AWD...especially if you live in a heavy traffic, bad winter area like I do.
The following users liked this post:
inyquest (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 AM
budiu22

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Let me share my personal opinion.

Id like to say that I have previously owned a 2008 G37S 6MT. And I now own a 2012 G37xS 7AT.

I personally prefer the 7AT to my old 6MT.

But the ONE thing that I reallllyyy miss and wish I has is the right hand E-brake... That was a fun thing to play with... Other than that I prefer the AWD much more.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:35 PM
G37S Bill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same debate as i really wanted a 6MT when I was looking earlier this year. At the time there were no used ones available in my price range so i decided to try a 2008 5AT G37S with the paddles. 7 months later I still enjoy driving it even though I rarely use the paddles and when I want to shift I use the gear shift. I think with the options to shift it does give you a close experience without having to exercise the left leg. the only thing I miss occassionally is dropping the clutch and leaving a few black marks at a light. But I just look at it as saving my tires so i am not buying new ones every 6 months.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 PM
delorean

I prefer having a 6 speed in my 370z with the s-shift option that blips the throttle. Life doesn't get much better than that when downshifting!

Quick Reply: Is the automatic boring to drive?