Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is the automatic boring to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 04:37 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
I have been thinking about getting a 6MT lately. Every time I watch a YouTube vid of a 6MT, I start getting the itch.

I think I might let fate decide this one for me. If I find a 6MT in great shape/low miles and I get a good deal, I might pull the trigger.

Only thing I worry about with buying a 6MT is whether or not it was owned by someone who raced around in it and drove it hard.

Would rather buy a 7AT that was babied and never abused.

Any closer to buying a vehicle halfshaft?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:32 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I bought mine new exactly for that reason. I don't particular beat on it, but I do like to drive fast. Fast and smooth is best for cornering.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:16 PM
MP87

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know if we are but I just wanted to mention why I went with 7AT.

I bought the G37 primarily because it is a luxury car and I wanted to focus most of my driving on comfort. However, coming from a 5 speed Mustang, I needed something that was still fast and sporty. I chose the 7AT for the following reasons:

-Better suited for a luxury car. Especially in stop-go traffic or long road trips.
-More consistent from run to run in the 1/4 mile. My last 4 runs at drag strip all varied by only a few 1/100th of a second.
-Shifts faster than I can in a manual. I'm not too sure if human beings can even shift as fast as these new autos?
-Never misses a gear
-On a closed track, all I have to worry about is gas, brakes, and cornering. Not having to engage the clutch and shift make closed course racing a bit easier for me.

I will say that even with paddle shifters, I still dont feel as connected to the car as I did when I was driving the Mustang. However it is nice to set the tranny to D and just cruise home in comfort after a very long work day
The following users liked this post:
dbeachy1 (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 03:37 PM
inyquest
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MP87
I don't know if we are but I just wanted to mention why I went with 7AT.

I bought the G37 primarily because it is a luxury car and I wanted to focus most of my driving on comfort. However, coming from a 5 speed Mustang, I needed something that was still fast and sporty. I chose the 7AT for the following reasons:

-Better suited for a luxury car. Especially in stop-go traffic or long road trips.
-More consistent from run to run in the 1/4 mile. My last 4 runs at drag strip all varied by only a few 1/100th of a second.
-Shifts faster than I can in a manual. I'm not too sure if human beings can even shift as fast as these new autos?
-Never misses a gear
-On a closed track, all I have to worry about is gas, brakes, and cornering. Not having to engage the clutch and shift make closed course racing a bit easier for me.

I will say that even with paddle shifters, I still dont feel as connected to the car as I did when I was driving the Mustang. However it is nice to set the tranny to D and just cruise home in comfort after a very long work day

I SSSooooo understand were you are coming from.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:45 AM
halfshaft

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
So I actually decided to go 6MT. I test drove both 7AT and 6MT back to back recently and even though I like the 7AT a lot more on paper, the 6MT just felt quite a bit more fun to me and gave me the intimate and mechanical connection with the car. I guess that just goes to show you that this whole transmission choice is such a personal choice and you can't make the decision by reading any one elses opinion. Driving it in heavy traffic will suck but thats a trade off I'm willing to make for all the benefits and fun of 6MT.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:41 PM
MP87

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad you found resolution . There really was no wrong answer, so choosing what you think was best for you was the best move! Enjoy!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 AM
halfshaft

Originally Posted by MP87
I'm glad you found resolution . There really was no wrong answer, so choosing what you think was best for you was the best move! Enjoy!
I picked up my G37S 6MT, very much in love with the car

I agree there was no right or wrong answer. Even now I don't think either transmission is superior to the other, they both have their strong points and I guess the driver just has to select on based on what is important to him/her. I enjoyed the extra control and sportiness given by the 6MT but the effortlessness, smoothness and ease of use of the 7AT is great too.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:08 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by halfshaft
I picked up my G37S 6MT, very much in love with the car

I agree there was no right or wrong answer. Even now I don't think either transmission is superior to the other, they both have their strong points and I guess the driver just has to select on based on what is important to him/her. I enjoyed the extra control and sportiness given by the 6MT but the effortlessness, smoothness and ease of use of the 7AT is great too.
Awesome halfshaft. Congrats on the new car.

Now we need to see some pics!

I think I have decided on the 7AT for myself. I am just too worn out by the time I get off of work to be shifting through the gears.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 PM
halfshaft

Originally Posted by WillCo1
Awesome halfshaft. Congrats on the new car.

Now we need to see some pics!

I think I have decided on the 7AT for myself. I am just too worn out by the time I get off of work to be shifting through the gears.

Thanks Wilco . Will post once I get some pics of the car.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, the 7AT G37 should be excellent
if you don't want to always be rowing your own gears. Are you going coupe or sedan? Let us know how your search goes.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice pick up, now you're officially a true G37er