Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tanabe Medalion w/ Mid-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Markov7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tanabe Medalion w/ Mid-pipe

Hi guys, new member here (and a noob to the aftermarket scene ). I've been looking to upgrade the exhaust on my 2009 G37S coupe to get a louder, deeper growl. I've read a bunch of threads on this forum, and it looks like a lot of people like the tanabe medalion.

I've been wondering if its worth it to get the tanabe medalion axleback + the tanabe midpipe? A respected performance shop here in my city quoted me $960 for the axleback and ~$600 for the mid-pipe. Seems pretty steep compared to some of the prices i've seen on this forum.

Is it generally more expensive to get the parts here in Canada? What would be the best/cheapest method to order the parts?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
welcome to the forum! Keep an eye open on the classified section. There are always used ones going around. However if you want new check out some of the vendors on here. They will give you the best deals.

I work at ModBargains.com, one of the vendors on here and we sell it. Your welcome to give us a call (714) 582-3330. Ill make sure you get a good deal.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 PM
budiu22

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
for that money id probably rather go with the Fast Intentions Carbon Fiber Round Cat Back... but thats just me
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Markov7

Originally Posted by budiu22
for that money id probably rather go with the Fast Intentions Carbon Fiber Round Cat Back... but thats just me
Yea the price is similar. What do you guys think? The Tanabe Axleback + Tanabe Midpipe or FI Carbon Fiber Round Catback
Old 07-03-2013, 09:19 PM
tristanbane

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my Tanabe Axleback. Have you come across my comparison video? It's on another thread here.

The sound (imo) is the perfect fit for the G's. It's been settling down after a couple of weeks, though, and I'm debating whether to go with an HFC or adding on the rest of the catback setup.

I thought I read something about the Tanabe midpipe/y-pipe being different diameter from one of the two stock parts(?). Meaning you'd have to get both?? I may be mistaken though But just make sure that buying one doesn't mean you have to get the other one, too, if you just want the midpipe and not the y-pipe.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Markov7

Originally Posted by tristanbane
I love my Tanabe Axleback. Have you come across my comparison video? It's on another thread here.

The sound (imo) is the perfect fit for the G's. It's been settling down after a couple of weeks, though, and I'm debating whether to go with an HFC or adding on the rest of the catback setup.

I thought I read something about the Tanabe midpipe/y-pipe being different diameter from one of the two stock parts(?). Meaning you'd have to get both?? I may be mistaken though But just make sure that buying one doesn't mean you have to get the other one, too, if you just want the midpipe and not the y-pipe.
Just watched your video, amazing comparison. I will definitely ask about the diameters. Think replacing the stock mid-pipe for the tanabe one will improve the sound?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 PM
tristanbane

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Markov7
Just watched your video, amazing comparison. I will definitely ask about the diameters. Think replacing the stock mid-pipe for the tanabe one will improve the sound?
Thanks!
I'm not sure from personal experience, but I've read a couple threads of others replacing the mid AND y-pipes after having the axleback already and reported that it does make the sound deeper and louder. No comparison videos for axleback VS catback though Maybe if I eventually go that route, I'll make one myself
Old 07-04-2013, 09:04 PM
enronforme

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just put on the tanabe axelback and I love it! I kept the oem y pipe and changed out the cats to hfc's...
Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Markov7
Hi guys, new member here (and a noob to the aftermarket scene ). I've been looking to upgrade the exhaust on my 2009 G37S coupe to get a louder, deeper growl. I've read a bunch of threads on this forum, and it looks like a lot of people like the tanabe medalion.

I've been wondering if its worth it to get the tanabe medalion axleback + the tanabe midpipe? A respected performance shop here in my city quoted me $960 for the axleback and ~$600 for the mid-pipe. Seems pretty steep compared to some of the prices i've seen on this forum.

Is it generally more expensive to get the parts here in Canada? What would be the best/cheapest method to order the parts?

Thanks

You could get those, along with the Y-Pipe from one of the vendors here, for less.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 PM
zakerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add a question to this thread, I've got a 2009 G37x Coupe and am wanting the same thing. Will this system fit on the X? Markov7, I'm also in Calgary, we should see if they will swing a deal if we both order...