Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review Tanabe Medalion axle-back with FI RHFCs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Tanabe Medalion axle-back with FI RHFCs...

Picked up the Tanabe Medalion axle-back from the classifieds. I went with the Tanabe axle-back because: 1. it was a great deal ($460 shipped)...shout out to Seraphix for hookin it up! 2. If I want to add the mid-pipe and y-pipe later on I could. 3. the mufflers don't hang down as low and aren't as noticeable as some of the other systems. 4. I wanted something that would make the exahust sound deeper and louder without being completely obnoxious. 5. I could do the install myself.

Quality: Even though its used, it was still in great shape. You can tell that Tanabe does a great job with this system.

Install: Piece of cake...once the factory bolts were removed. Even after 2 cans of PB Blaster I couldn't get them to budge, so I went to a local muffler shop and they broke them loose with an air gun. I felt better when 2 of the mechanics couldn't do it by hand either lol. It took about 20 minutes to remove the old exhaust and install the Tanabe. I'm lowered on Eibachs but I didn't have to lift the car bc the bolts are so close to the back. I'm SO glad I didn't pay someone to do the install

Fit: Spot on. Tail pipes sit a little higher up than the stock tips do, but they don't touch the rear bumper. They stick out about as much as the stock tips do. Most importantly, they lined up straight without having to make any adjustments/modifications. At first I wasn't a fan of the bigger round tips...but they're growing on me. I was thinking of replacing the round tips with round quad tips, but we'll see.

Sound: Awesome! Its louder than I thought it would be...I guess that's because of the RHFCs. It's definitely louder and deeper at start-up, idle and under acceleration. There is some drone when cruising at around 1.5-2 RPMs, but it's nothing unbearable. No rasp. At WOT it screams. I'm glad I didn't go with a full CBE...this is definitely loud enough for me. Couldn't be happier with it!

Here are 2 videos...turn up your speakers...
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LjjdP-c-jhM?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2c5jmmEsj94?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Glad you like them brother. And they do sound great , love the throatiness of the tanabe's.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 PM
tomro99

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
sounds great! I love the sound of my tanabes. When adding the mid and y pipe, what effect will they make? Will the system be louder, throatier, deeper?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Dr.Pat

Yes adding the y and mid pipes will make it louder
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Dr.Pat

Originally Posted by Seraphix
Glad you like them brother. And they do sound great , love the throatiness of the tanabe's.
Yea they're awesome....thanks again man! I even left the inside of the tips painted lol. I thought about stripping the paint but I think it looks better with the inside blacked out. What exhaust are you running now?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
No problem dude, yeah I like the black on the inside of those tips since there so huge. I went with a Fast Intentions CF set up. Paired with the R2c's, man my midrange power got significantly better. Those 2 seem to flow well together. I'm done messing with exhaust set ups lol, going in for a tune in the next month.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM
mr_nlu
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds amazing, i if i could of gotten tanabes for that price, i wouldnt of went with the megan axle back How do you think the FI RHFC would sound paired with my exhaust?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 AM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a perfect combo , not to mention you saved a heck of alot of money by not getting a full cat back lol
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Dr.Pat

Originally Posted by Nickuhplease
sounds amazing, i if i could of gotten tanabes for that price, i wouldnt of went with the megan axle back How do you think the FI RHFC would sound paired with my exhaust?
The RHFCs would make your exhaust sound deeper and louder...I've never heard the combo, so I'm not sure if you would get any drone or rasp when pairing them with your Megan axle back. Try doing a YouTube search.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Dr.Pat

Originally Posted by JohnsVert
Sounds like a perfect combo , not to mention you saved a heck of alot of money by not getting a full cat back lol
Definitely! I looked at CBE systems from FI and Borla for a long time, but I just couldn't justify spending that much. I can add the rest of the CBE pieces later on, but I don't see that happening bc it's already plenty loud for me
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 PM
teonguyen

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
Definitely! I looked at CBE systems from FI and Borla for a long time, but I just couldn't justify spending that much. I can add the rest of the CBE pieces later on, but I don't see that happening bc it's already plenty loud for me

It sounds pretty awesome . I just ordered mine last week and will receive this Monday. Would you mind telling me how much louder does tanabe compare to stock ? I just can't wait to put it on mine.DOMO

Thanks,
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Dr.Pat

Well I already had the HFCs installed before I put the Tanabes on, so my exhaust was already a little louder and deeper than stock. The Tanabes made it much louder compared to the HFCs alone. The HFCs make the car louder at WOT, but the Tanabes make it louder and deeper at idle, low rpms and high rpms.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 PM
teonguyen

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
Well I already had the HFCs installed before I put the Tanabes on, so my exhaust was already a little louder and deeper than stock. The Tanabes made it much louder compared to the HFCs alone. The HFCs make the car louder at WOT, but the Tanabes make it louder and deeper at idle, low rpms and high rpms.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 03:44 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Great reveiw! Would love to hear the RHFCs paired with a midpipe added.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 PM
InspiredMan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds great!

Quick Reply: Review Tanabe Medalion axle-back with FI RHFCs...