G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Based on my experience (detailed below) should Infiniti buy back this G37 IPL?
Yes
55.81%
No
44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Interesting thread. Glad to hear your car is getting fixed, even though its taking longer than you would like.

You mentioned the dealer thought your driving style may have contributed to excessive consumption. How do you drive that they thought that?

I'm at 6500 miles. First interval I burned about half a quart. Since 3800 miles I've gone through about 1.5 quarts. Fortunately I keep a couple quarts in the trunk and check the oil level weekly.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 AM
OMEGA46

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Forgive me, but isnt the IPL motor the same as all other G37's? Only difference would be ECU tune and exhaust right? I wonder if those changes are the cause..
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM
BB_Sam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
You mentioned the dealer thought your driving style may have contributed to excessive consumption. How do you drive that they thought that?
I think her comment was a general comment about how people drive a 'high performance' 6 speed. She was basically saying that people tend to shift at higher RPM (to hear the roar of the engine) and also depending on how you downshift, apparently she was suggesting that this could also cause extra burn of oil. I wasn't really sure how any of these things could/should affect oil consumption.... but I listened politely.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 AM
BB_Sam

Originally Posted by OMEGA46
Forgive me, but isnt the IPL motor the same as all other G37's? Only difference would be ECU tune and exhaust right? I wonder if those changes are the cause..
I was thinking the same thing -- except I was thinking that they may be replacing the engine but it could be a defect with the ECU that's causing this issue. Keep in mind that they still don't know (or maybe they do but haven't told me) why the engine failed.

I don't know enough about the mechanics of the car, but if the ECU is defective or not programmed properly, maybe it will crash/kill the new motor they're putting in too. Again, I freely admit to having no clue what I'm talking about, but I'm sure others do and can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BB_Sam
I think her comment was a general comment about how people drive a 'high performance' 6 speed. She was basically saying that people tend to shift at higher RPM (to hear the roar of the engine) and also depending on how you downshift, apparently she was suggesting that this could also cause extra burn of oil. I wasn't really sure how any of these things could/should affect oil consumption.... but I listened politely.
Fair enough...I shift at pretty high rpm, and I've had oil consumption in pretty much every car Ive owned, so there might be some truth to that.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Fair enough...I shift at pretty high rpm, and I've had oil consumption in pretty much every car Ive owned, so there might be some truth to that.
Makes sense though right? I think almost all engines burn some oil, obviously some more than others. I've read about the s85 engine in the e60 M5 routinely going through a quart every 1000 miles.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 AM
BB_Sam

UPDATE March 27 ---> Got a call that my baby is ready for pickup!!! New engine has been installed

Only glitch is I'm out of town I won't be able to pick her up until next week.

I'll update this thread when I pick up the car.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad to hear the car is ready, sucks you had to go through this but hey at least infiniti stepped up to the plate; new motor, loaner car, payments covered for the time you were out of your car. No one wants to go through this but it happens, just gotta take it and move on and be grateful they handled it professionally for the most part.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I've dealt with the lemon law, but in Washington. The buyback process was cake...and I managed to keep it away from court. Keep in mind, to stay calm. Infiniti took great care of me, and I have complete faith in their product. Granted, sucks to be in your shoes, but they compensated me heavily (including modifications). Not sure of the Canada version, but Washington state illustrates a total of 30 days or more before even being applicable to the lemon law. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 AM
BB_Sam

Just picked up the G

Got back into town last night, picked up my baby this morning -- new engine and all.

Now, who wants to help me decipher the codes on the invoice? See pics attached. Here's what it says:

Cause: Internal Failure. Scoped crank and cam sensors, six exhaust studs seized and 4 bolts on Y pipe siezed
The instructions I have are: (1) I have to do an oil change at 2,000 KMs; and (2) can't rev past 4,000 RPM until after my second oil change (presumably 5,000 kms after the first change).
Attached Thumbnails 2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure-invoice1.jpg   2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure-invoice2.jpg  

Last edited by BB_Sam; 04-05-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
I had a 2010 370 before my g and it burned about a quart every 3k miles. recently got rid of the z and got a 2010 g37 7at, I drive it pretty hard and it does not drink a drop of oil. I just think it's luck of the draw with these motors. literally, the oil level on my dipstick does not budge. A motor should never burn oil in my opinion.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:31 PM
BB_Sam

Help? Am I losing oil???

Now that I am fully paranoid about losing oil, I've been checking my oil level when I fill up with gas. So far, I've put about 800kms on the fancy new engine -- and this is my second fill up. At the first fill up, I could have sworn that the oil level was close to the "H" on the dip stick.

After my second fill up, the level is now (in my view) lower (see horrible quality pic attached -- I'll try to take a new pic tomorrow during the daylight). I labelled the pic with an arrow to show where the actual oil level is because it's very hard to see in the pic.

Am I just being paranoid here? Maybe I am wrong about the initial oil level being closer to the H -- what would have been the standard level they would have filled it to?

Please don't tell me I should have taken a picture of the first dip stick check -- I now realize that it would have made this whole question a bit easier to answer....
Attached Thumbnails 2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure-dipstick.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Mayu

You are becoming paranoid. Also, checking the oil immediately after the car is shut OFF is wrong. Since the dip stick is in the oil pan and your oil is (mostly) not. The best thing to do is, check every morning.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:11 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Nissan recommended a 1 minute wait before checking the oil on my 350Z. BTW, it is normal for a brand new engine to use a bit of oil. Make sure the car is level before checking the oil.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Mayu

1 minuite? Thats interesting! Appart from VVEL and displacement, not much is different between the VQ35 and VQ37... hmmm

I should really look into this. Wonder if it is in our manual... Will have to wait until I get home tonight...

Thanks for the info jaykellogg!

Quick Reply: 2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure