G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Based on my experience (detailed below) should Infiniti buy back this G37 IPL?
Yes
55.81%
No
44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM
JerseyG37s

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
ill give you something to really laugh about..... i bought my aunt a JX35 when they first came out... the car had idk maybe 1300 miles on it and on a saturday night we were going to bring the dogs to the vet... well the car died and smoked and that was it... needless to say the block had a crack in it and was shipped from port like that or where ever infiniti builds these JX's... im still waiting on the engine from japan LOL!!! the car has been at infiniti for just over 3 months.... we are currently in the process of a buy back from them.... im switching her into the FX37... dont feel bad 3 weeks isnt too bad lmao just think of it this way youre putting miles on THEIR car =]
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM
BB_Sam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JerseyG37s
dont feel bad 3 weeks isnt too bad lmao just think of it this way youre putting miles on THEIR car =]
True -- and the fact that it's been snowing makes the JX a better ride anyway. For the record, it will be about 8 weeks that I will be out of the car before I get it back -- 4 weeks diagnostic phase, 3-4 weeks delay to order the new engine + install.

I'm more concerned about them being able to put the thing back together. I happened to be at the dealership to pick up my personal effects from the car -- it looked like the car barfed up its own innards. The car was in hundreds of pieces, wire harnesses everywhere, and post-it/instructions all over the place (presumably cheat sheets on how to put the car back together ).

I'm sure the 19 year old mechanic is qualified to put the thing back together -- just like I'm sure that the milti-million dollar factory in Japan has a very low engine failure rate
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 AM
BB_Sam

To judge whether I'm being totally unreasonable asking Infiniti for a buy back -- I added a poll to this thread.

So far, I voted "yes"
Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
JerseyG37s

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
i had a friend that had to do a total engine rebuild and had infiniti do it we went to see the progress and it honestly looked like something from outter space engine block was sitting on a engine stand and a huge hole in the car was just empty but the tech had 25 years with infiniti and he had 3 stalls with engine rebuilds he was doing so im pretty sure he was doing the right job LMAO... idk where in canada you live but here in texas they do a killer job!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 AM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RYs06MT
^ did Infiniti buy back your coupe and you bought that 13 IPL?
Well, the warranty covered the engine replacement, so technically no. But the dealership took it back on a good trade deal for the '13 IPL.

Originally Posted by BB_Sam
I'm sure the 19 year old mechanic is qualified to put the thing back together -- just like I'm sure that the milti-million dollar factory in Japan has a very low engine failure rate
Another reason to not want the car after the engine is replaced IMO. It isn't exactly factory fresh anymore. After my engine was replaced, I went back to have them check the oil consumption again. Whoever checked it didn't even put the dipstick back. He left it on the radiator and closed the hood. Yeah, I'm sure that new engine is fine...
Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 PM
BB_Sam

Originally Posted by JMS2000
It isn't exactly factory fresh anymore.
+1 --> I couldn't agree more.

I actually made this comment to Infiniti head office -- how could they trust a dealership to rebuild their (so called) highest performance vehicle? Well, my concern was immediately dismissed - "Our technicians are all highly trained ... blah blah blah".

The irony here (and I also said this to the Infiniti person) is the fact Infiniti targets individuals with these discerning, perfectionist, even picky/neurotic character traits in terms of their marketing of the IPL coupe. But, as soon as these traits become inconvenient (i.e. defective engine / replace vehicle) -- they run the other way.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 PM
ko3r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I would NEVER be happy with a replaced engine...It would feel like refurbished to me...Infiniti is being an ***...If you were in the US things would have been different.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 PM
BB_Sam

Here's a positive for Infiniti:
They have now agreed to cover my lease payments while the IPL is in the shop. That amounts to two monthly payments since it looks like it'll be in the shop for a total of 8 weeks. So, I'll give Infiniti kudos for stepping up on providing this 'compensation'.

I am grateful for this gesture -- but trust me, it wasn't an easy thing to get. I had asked for the lease payment credit a while ago -- they initially said "No, we don't compensate customers for loss of use of their vehicle"... then (once the delay looked to be in the 6-8 week range) they offered me a dealership credit equivalent to my lease payments which I could use for oil changes/service/swag. Ultimately, when it was clear that the delay would be at least 8 weeks, they came back with a full / cash credit for my lease payments while the IPL is out of service.
Despite all the hating I've been doing on Infiniti, on this gesture, I am genuinely grateful and will give them a thumbs up for the 'hush' money

Last edited by BB_Sam; 03-21-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 AM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread makes me want to get out of bed and go check my oil on my 2012 IPL.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Wow this is crazy, hope this works out
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 AM
esquesk

Originally Posted by BB_Sam
Here's a positive for Infiniti:
They have now agreed to cover my lease payments while the IPL is in the shop. That amounts to two monthly payments since it looks like it'll be in the shop for a total of 8 weeks. So, I'll give Infiniti kudos for stepping up on providing this 'compensation'.

I am grateful for this gesture -- but trust me, it wasn't an easy thing to get. I had asked for the lease payment credit a while ago -- they initially said "No, we don't compensate customers for loss of use of their vehicle"... then (once the delay looked to be in the 6-8 week range) they offered me a dealership credit equivalent to my lease payments which I could use for oil changes/service/swag. Ultimately, when it was clear that the delay would be at least 8 weeks, they came back with a full / cash credit for my lease payments while the IPL is out of service.
Despite all the hating I've been doing on Infiniti, on this gesture, I am genuinely grateful and will give them a thumbs up for the 'hush' money
That's actually pretty big of them, especially since I bet they've been paying for the rental car you've been in as well At least the story has a somewhat happy ending.

Plus, you can just return the car at the end of the lease!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 AM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ko3r
Personally, I would NEVER be happy with a replaced engine...It would feel like refurbished to me...
Exactly. At least the OP is only leasing... I was financing to own when my car blew up. New car price for a dealer-rebuilt refurb? Screw that.

Originally Posted by Nick3753
You should. I notice some oil loss everytime I change my oil. It isn't dripping, so it's burning. It isn't severe, but the reading on the stick is always less. I'd say it goes from [L---|-H] to [L-|---H] every 3000 to 3500 miles on dino/semi-synthetic oil.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 AM
BB_Sam

As others have said, this is probably a good idea -- I'm definitely going to check my oil levels a lot more often when/if I get my IPL back. Based on everything I learned from this experience, the IPL appears to just burn more oil (especially if you shift at higher RPMs).
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to add roughly 3/4-1 quart before my first oil change, though I'm not sure how high it was filled from the factory. Got the car with like 34 miles on the odometer. I will definitely keep an eye on it. I only have a 2 year lease, would hate to have to drive a loaner for 2 months out of 24.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
BB_Sam

I will definitely keep an eye on it.
My plan when I get my car back is to just use regular oil (I had switched to synthetic thinking it would perform better and I could wait longer between changes) and change the oil every 5,000 KM (approx 3000miles).

Quick Reply: 2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure