Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clicking noise when coming out of turns

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 AM
StinkFinGr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking noise when coming out of turns

Hi all. First post for me. I have a 2009 sport AT. I started hearing a single click from what sounds like the front end when either coming to a stop after backing up and turning to pull out of my drive way and, more recently, when coming out of slow speed low radius turns. At first I thought it may have been a brake pad shifting, it was that sort of noise. But then I heard it when I was in a parking garage, going up levels. As I would turn the tight corner and start to straighten out to go up the level there was a consistent single click, no brakes involved with that. It did not occur in the turn, only when straightening out after.
I have had the car in the dealership for 2 weeks. They had "engineers" from infiniti there because it was a sound "they haven't heard before". They figured it was the sub frame assembly, torqued it all down, tried it with a shim kit, checked all motor mounts and bushings. They even changed the rack and pinion system. Still clicking. They have given up! The service person told me they can hear the noise but can't figure out where it's coming from unless it gets louder. So they want me to drive it in hopes that it may (or may not?) get louder so they can figure out what needs to be done. Has anyone else had experience with this sort of noise? Any suggestions or thoughts any of you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

---StinkFinGr
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Any aftermarket parts or work done on the front end?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You sure its not the infamous rear differential click that lots of people get?

I know you said its coming from the front, but sounds could sometimes be misleading, especially when inside the car.

Either way, hope you get it all squared away sooner than later.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Brian Thompson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a clicking noise while turning earlier this year. It was a slow, steady click, click, click. Both of my front wheel bearings were going bad, which is what caused the problems. I replaced both front wheel bearings and the clicking was gone.

If it's a click, click, click, it may be your wheel bearings. The wheel bearings on the G37 have been known to wear out prematurely.

-Brian
Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 PM
StinkFinGr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the replies. It seems I did not get an email notification that anyone had responded to my post why it has taken me so long to get back to the thread. In my eagerness to post I didn't see the email settings at the bottom of the page.

No, no aftermarket parts, all stock. Only 26k on the car.

I was thinking of the rear differential. They did not say specifically that they checked it so I will have to ask. They claim to had had 2 Infiniti "engineers" come out to take a look, (God knows where they came from?!) and the engineers said they have never heard the sound before.

I was also considering wheel bearings, right now it's only a single click, but if it is the bearings it should get worse with the terrible road surfaces in the SF bay area!

I pick it up tomorrow and will talk to the service guy. I will say they were persistent, changed the rack and pinion for nothing, hah!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Simba989

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It might be something more serious but before anything check the obvious stuff. Take a torque wrench and make sure your lug nuts are torqued on properly. Especially at slow speeds, it might make some noise. If not that then Id go on to something like checking your wheel bearings.