Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Fuel fill up

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 PM
stvsfx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel fill up

Hey guys, so today I got gas cause I was at 1/4 tank left. The pump stopped at 5.6gals. Seeing as that only brought me to half tank, clearly there is an issue. I'm not sure if it's my car or the gas stations pump. I've filled several times since I got the car a few weeks ago and I've been fine with fill to full. Anyone else see or hear of this issue? I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy.

Thanks

- Steven
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 PM
1BAD2012IPL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stvsfx
Hey guys, so today I got gas cause I was at 1/4 tank left. The pump stopped at 5.6gals. Seeing as that only brought me to half tank, clearly there is an issue. I'm not sure if it's my car or the gas stations pump. I've filled several times since I got the car a few weeks ago and I've been fine with fill to full. Anyone else see or hear of this issue? I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy.

Thanks

- Steven
Get used to it at certain pumps. I have one station I always go to and one pump I use that never gives me any issues.....Went to another pump at the same station..... yeah had to baby the nozzle took me 20 minutes to fill up. I think there's an issue with the angle of the filler neck on our cars. I have heard of it many times on the forum already.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
there's a large thread about this. some people are expierencing inaccurate fuel gauge readings. something about the fuel floater terminals dirty.

just do a search and you should be able to find it.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM
NyLiGHTz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah try another gas station
Old 10-02-2012, 02:10 PM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fill it up and reset the "trip" odometer and keep resetting every time you get gas. That'll give you some idea how much gas you have used. Of course that will change with long trips or a lot of city driving.

I do agree that this may be a float issue, if the car still has a warranty, take it to the dealer.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yup, I have the issue...well when I first got the car it was more frequent but not so much recently. I used to have to put the nozzle in upside down (be careful, at some pumps the sensor wont stop once it's full...trust me I know, I overfilled it once). People will stare at you like you're an idiot but meh..it's a quick fix.

I bought the car in the winter so I think weather might have an effect on it too since it hasn't happened to me even once this summer, only last winter when I bought the car.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM
G37fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BAD2012IPL
Get used to it at certain pumps. I have one station I always go to and one pump I use that never gives me any issues.....Went to another pump at the same station..... yeah had to baby the nozzle took me 20 minutes to fill up. I think there's an issue with the angle of the filler neck on our cars. I have heard of it many times on the forum already.

yeah def. don't get used to it ^^^ My car had this issue and I took it in to the dealer (under warranty) and there was a fuel gauge error and some other issues inside the tank so they replaced the whole tank and it hasn't happened since.

i recommend getting it checked out since it CAN be fixed.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
It can indeed be fixed. As far as the fuel level accuracy, that's been known to be a bad sending unit and I have heard of members on here having it fixed and it coming back after some time. The half way fill up is because there is an issue with the valve in the tank. It lays over the drive shaft and it has 2 chambers. He valve fails or the pump is pumping too fast and the valve can't catch up to allow gas to flow into the 2nd chamber of the fuel tank. If you do find a pump that is high velocity, just manually control the flow to about half speed or so. I've had my valve replaced and its been a lot better but from time to time I have the issue, I just let the tank breathe for a few seconds and slowly pump until it basically switches over and then I can pump at full speed again.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G37fanatic
yeah def. don't get used to it ^^^ My car had this issue and I took it in to the dealer (under warranty) and there was a fuel gauge error and some other issues inside the tank so they replaced the whole tank and it hasn't happened since.

i recommend getting it checked out since it CAN be fixed.
Huh. I can count the time it's happened on 1 hand after a year of ownership but maybe I'll see what my dealer says now...
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 PM
second2none

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fortunate I don't have this problem but good info if the problem arises.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 PM
g37sFromAdig

first of all, ur problem filling is because of the angle.Pull the gas nozzle out slightly. Just give it enough room to breath. just think about it! its like trying to fill your washer fluid too fast.....if you don't let air in also the water will back up and overflow. those gas nozzles have an emergency shut off for just that reason...overflow.Some pumps are more sensitive than others. As far as the gas gauge goes, there is a fuel level sensor that goes bad(common problem). Think about what saddle bags look like on a motorcycle... thats what the fuel tank is shaped like, the pump is on one side and the level sensor is on the other. depending on what model you have their could be a level sensor on the pump as well. there is a vent tube on the tank to let it breath while filling(there is no valve in the tank!)but i can tell you thats not the problem. Been an Auto Tech 10 years and i only have seen that 1 time on a volvo that was 25 years old.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM
jmueller

Happens all the time to me. It is an issue with the filler neck as suggested before. Some gas-stations won't give you and trouble, but others will. My only suggestion is to "throttle" the fill up speed... You will have to slowly build the fill up speed from a slow drip to full blast. I often have good luck doing this at those stations that normally give me problems.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:08 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hey Guys,

Bumping an old thread, because this one seems to have more info than just heresay.

Anyway, I'm new here, and new to my 08 G37S! I've been having this same problem with the gauge. I cleaned off the circuit boards on the senders, and it changed the reading on the dash! Great! Then, it continued to read 1/4 tank as I ran out of gas. I sorted that out, and then filled up and it only went to 3/4!

I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another, but someone thought that the low/empty reading comes from the drivers side sender, while the high/full reading comes from the passenger side sender. Is there any confirmation that this is true? I ask because this would help me focus on one or the other: if it reads accurately for this tank, but doesn't go to full - that would mean that I should double check the passenger side sender.

But I probably need to replace both senders. Upon searching, most of the threads seem to be from 2012, about 2008 cars. Are the newer senders different or more reliable? Do they have a different part number?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance! This forum is a really great resource!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:31 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
Hey Guys,

Bumping an old thread, because this one seems to have more info than just heresay.

Anyway, I'm new here, and new to my 08 G37S! I've been having this same problem with the gauge. I cleaned off the circuit boards on the senders, and it changed the reading on the dash! Great! Then, it continued to read 1/4 tank as I ran out of gas. I sorted that out, and then filled up and it only went to 3/4!

I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another, but someone thought that the low/empty reading comes from the drivers side sender, while the high/full reading comes from the passenger side sender. Is there any confirmation that this is true? I ask because this would help me focus on one or the other: if it reads accurately for this tank, but doesn't go to full - that would mean that I should double check the passenger side sender.

But I probably need to replace both senders. Upon searching, most of the threads seem to be from 2012, about 2008 cars. Are the newer senders different or more reliable? Do they have a different part number?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance! This forum is a really great resource!
No apologies necessary; good job on using Search to find out what you need!

Can't help you with the part no.s but welcome to the forum...