G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

08 g37s coupe automatic, engine heating up. What's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
BlueOnyxBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 g37s coupe automatic, engine heating up. What's going on?

Hi everyone - I was wondering if any of you can shed some light on my situation.

Yesterday, I was driving my g37s for about 30 minutes with normal driving and some fast acceleration here and there (:P). When I got home in the evening I noticed my feet feeling quite hot. I opened the engine up and the engine seemed really hot so I left it to cool down. An hour later it still felt hot to the touch (so hot I couldn't even put my finger on the metal). the car was driving perfectly all day as well.

The temperature gage was right in the middle as well. I also did not turn on the air conditioning at all that day (kept windows open). As well, yesterday and today have been extremely hot in Toronto. Feeling like 40 degrees Celsius or about 100 fahrenheit.

I took the car out this morning to somewhere up the street and within 1 minute the temperature creeped up again to about the middle. Car was driving and sounded perfectly fine. When I got home, I opened the hood and the engine felt pretty hot again (I only drove it today for 5 minutes). My only confusion though is why the fans didn't come on to cool the engine. Or do they not come on when the gage is half between hot and cold. Do they come on when I turn the air conditioning on?

It might also be worth mentioning that this past sunday I lightly cleaned my engine bay. Carefully with a cloth and degreaser nothing else. I also, for the first time, turned off the VDC yesterday when driving my car (I was curious to see what it would drive like).

I'm not exactly the biggest car tech person so any help to ease my worries would be fine. I have a feeling I'm just being paranoid, but I just want to know why that fan didn't turn on. It seemed hot enough for the fan to go on, but who knows...

Thank you!!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM
criledo
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you using premium gas? These high compression engines need the high octane to run properly. If you are using regular or even the blend, your combustion will be a lot hotter. Your coolant might stay within range. The best way to know is to check the spark plugs, if they are even somewhat reddish there is your problem.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If the temperature needle is about half way, that is normal. Maybe you don't realize how hot an engine gets?

Is your coolant low? Oil level low?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Press your recircualtion vent thing, what your feeling is hot air coming threw the vents which is normal. If you leave your recirculation off air still comes threw the vents and it will naturaly be hot. Your temp gauge being in the middle is perfectly fine, never judge your engine tempertaure with feel as it gets very hot and thats normal.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Everything is norm. These cars run hot. The fans dont even come on till 215 degress, I used to smell anti frezze and tranny fluid( Tranny runs hot too) all the time in the summer just the way they run..
Old 06-20-2012, 03:24 PM
BlueOnyxBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. All of this makes sense to me! Have a great day guys!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Hot Engine

That's why GTM and Z1 Motorsports sell an oil cooler kit. From what I've read from many sources, the cars run hot and if pressed on a hot day or tracked, they will run into trouble and to reduce that, the car will often go into it's "limp home" mode. I've had the AT not shift to lower gears but it actually shifted up for me to help reduce the RPM's and thus heat generation. I've also heard that the revs may be reduced and not reach redline until the engine cools enough.

It seems that the engine heads are primarily cooled by oil and not as much by water. Given this you can easily see how the oil temp will climb and thus the water temp also and since the tranny is connected to the engine, it gets that extra heat which over-heats the tranny fluid.

I'm getting ready to add an oil cooler to the car because down/up here in Sacramento CA., we can easily hit 100+ degrees for many days straight. Given you'll be driving in stop and go traffic, the A/C running hard, etc., etc., cooling off the oil is almost a must for this car. At least for us gear heads it is. Good luck with this.

Al

P.S. I've also gotten into the habit of when I get home and park the car in the garage is to open the hood to allow the car engine compartment to vent more easily. The metal parts I'm not worrying about as much, but more the rubber, electrical wiring and other plastic stuff. Also I think it reduces the heat load on the hood's paint job and won't eventually fade and/or peel the clear coat like I've seen on so many cars lately.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Everything is norm. These cars run hot. The fans dont even come on till 215 degress, I used to smell anti frezze and tranny fluid( Tranny runs hot too) all the time in the summer just the way they run..
I smell anti-freeze also, and was debating whether to take the car in for service.

To the op. You can't judge how hot an engine runs by touching the interior. The metal gets, very, very hot and can easily burn you. As long as the temp. gage is in the middle, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I don't think smelling antifreeze is a good thing whether or not you're SC'd, TT'd or stock. I would take it in. Burning antifreeze means you've got a leak somewhere. It's should be a sealed system, much like your oiling system.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
I don't think smelling antifreeze is a good thing whether or not you're SC'd, TT'd or stock. I would take it in. Burning antifreeze means you've got a leak somewhere. It's should be a sealed system, much like your oiling system.
Not really, I took my car in twice for it, My 08 5 times and wifes once for it, never had a leak, I check my fluids all the time and do not lose any?? Just the fiuld beeing very hot I guess,

Plus for the oil cooler, and Trans cooler, Today is 92 right now 830am, and very humid, drove into work and oil temp was about 180 and trans was 168-170, Drove with the AC on and was pretty agressive at times Temps where soild.. Coolant temp was just below halfway, But I also had my fan speeds adjusted with UPREV, which is helping a ton, Fans come on at 185 instead of 215.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
The coolant system isn't really a true "sealed" system if you think about it". It's a closed system sure, but not a true sealed system. For one reason...the overflow tank that is directly connected to the radiator via a small diameter hose. It has a cap. I haven't pulled mine off on the G, but I have in other vehicles and the caps didn't have a rubber seal like the actual radiator cap does....it was just a cap. An "antifreeze smell" could easily escape out of that cap if the fluid was hot enough. I would also think that if the fluid were hot enough, it could potentially evaporate through this cap as well

Now...whether the coolant smell people are smelling is coming from the cap or not....who knows.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
The coolant system isn't really a true "sealed" system if you think about it". It's a closed system sure, but not a true sealed system. For one reason...the overflow tank that is directly connected to the radiator via a small diameter hose. It has a cap. I haven't pulled mine off on the G, but I have in other vehicles and the caps didn't have a rubber seal like the actual radiator cap does....it was just a cap. An "antifreeze smell" could easily escape out of that cap if the fluid was hot enough. I would also think that if the fluid were hot enough, it could potentially evaporate through this cap as well

Now...whether the coolant smell people are smelling is coming from the cap or not....who knows.
That is absolutely true. I guess "closed" is what I meant. In any case, I've smelled antifreeze on two different occasions with another car I had. The first occasion was when my upper rad. hose busted and was leaking fluid everywhere, and the other instance was when the block cracked and there was fluid everywhere! White smoke was coming from my tail pipes, it was leaking at the block, there was antifreeze in the supercharger....so yeah. I've had bad experiences lol. This was 96 SC'd V6 Ford Mustang.