Sponsored By:

Wheel Spin in 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Tek-C
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cy7878
you do have 300+ HP stock. In the right RPM, cold weather and lousy tire combined, spinning in 3rd is definitely possible.

Generals are not bad tires. I'm sure it'd be great on your mom's Lincoln or Lexus. But anything that is meant to last 75k miles has no part on a high performance car with a manual transmission.
high performance...LOL!!!

I'd call a Ferrari high performance, but not the G. the G is sporty and quick, but not high performance IMO.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:30 PM
darkmatter7

... The '97 Supra I happened to be next to was a different story. (Don't flame me for street racing, we were near legal limits and it wasn't prolonged)
Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Itchytoe

Being "near legal limits" means speeding. Not prolonged means just until I knew I won the race. Come on man, who are you trying to fool?

Anyway, If you're getting tire spin at 55, you've got absolutely terrible tires or you're on gravel. 330 hp isn't nearly enough force get the tires to spin at 55. You don't have enough torque multiplication from the gearing to do that with decent tires on a dry road. Remember, just because that little slip light flashes, doesn't mean you're spinning your wheels. It just means the nanny is kicking in.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 PM
darkmatter7

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Being "near legal limits" means speeding. Not prolonged means just until I knew I won the race. Come on man, who are you trying to fool?

Anyway, If you're getting tire spin at 55, you've got absolutely terrible tires or you're on gravel. 330 hp isn't nearly enough force get the tires to spin at 55. You don't have enough torque multiplication from the gearing to do that with decent tires on a dry road. Remember, just because that little slip light flashes, doesn't mean you're spinning your wheels. It just means the nanny is kicking in.
It was more of two guys showing off cars at 3 am on an empty road. We stayed below reckless endangerment speeds and just accelerated for maybe an 1/8th mile. Yes it was slightly illegal, but by no means dangerous to us or anyone else. I don't promote actual street racing whatsoever.

That said... hell no I did not win. It wasn't prolonged because it was no contest. I don't know what he had under the hood, but it must have been something powerful.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 PM
cy7878

Originally Posted by darkmatter7
It was more of two guys showing off cars at 3 am on an empty road. We stayed below reckless endangerment speeds and just accelerated for maybe an 1/8th mile. Yes it was slightly illegal, but by no means dangerous to us or anyone else. I don't promote actual street racing whatsoever.

That said... hell no I did not win. It wasn't prolonged because it was no contest. I don't know what he had under the hood, but it must have been something powerful.
Apparently our cars are not considered "high performance" according to Tek-C. You never had a chance.....

j/k.

3am, empty road is not reckless endangerment in my book. You are only endangering you and the other driver, who is a willing participant anyway. Back in the days, we would race up to the speed limit on empty streets. Never had anyone call the cops and never gotten tickets. On a crowded freeway..... that's a different story.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:22 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tek-C
high performance...LOL!!!

I'd call a Ferrari high performance, but not the G. the G is sporty and quick, but not high performance IMO.
Ferrari street cars aren't high performance loll! I'd call their formula 1 cars high performance cars but never their production cars. Way too slow.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:42 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
I'd call their formula 1 cars high performance cars
You wouldn't say that if you watched this season's F1
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 AM
FukinG37S
Banned

I think most of his wheelspin was coming from a combination of 3am morning dew, wet...

I haven't heard of the G-max's giving that much lee-way, and with the tread pattern and all-season combination, the ground had to somewhat wet.

On slightly ****ty tires (not bald), it is very easy to spin all the way to 70, with the conditions right on the road (wet/damp), in a 5AT.

So, his tires may be going out, but the G-max's are Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. Prorated at 168mph, and weight limit for each corner the same as bridgestones. And if anything, if he had bridgstones on, which are High Performance Summer tires, he would of slipped a hell of a lot more on a backroad at 3am. I live in the south, and these roads are very lightly traveled, shaded majority of the day, and was probably wet, and his tires were slightly cold.

The G-max's haven't been out that long for anyone to give a *these tires suck* view. They launched in April of this year.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:21 AM
MurderedG37s

Even in wet weather, wheel spin at 55 mph? WTF? I want wheel spin in 3rd gear. I dont even get wheel spin in 1st.. : ( AWD
Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Itchytoe

I have good tires. I can spin in first, and sometimes I can get them to chirp going into second in a straight line. I can't get them to spin in third at all. No chirp, not around corners... I suppose I could be an idiot and try a hairpin turn at 90 in third and get the back end to break loose, but why?

If you have decent tires, I can understand spinning all through first, and a little in second. I.E. when you first get it in gear, and again when you get near the redline.

Third gear should never spin if you have decent or better tires. That's why the people saying "these tires suck" are saying it. They are the people who have good tires. His tires are G-max tires? Ultra High Performance All-Season tires? Wait a minute, that's like saying Ultra Huge Mega Shrimp. The best all-season tire is worse than the worst summer tire in the summer, and worse than the worst winter tire in the winter. They should be no-season tires instead of all-season tires. Get 1 good set of high performance summer tires and you'll see the difference immediately. All-seasons are better than summer tires in snow, and snow tires in the summer though which is why people get them. You can drive them all year long so people think they are saving money.

If you're dumb enough to race on wet public road, empty or not, then there's absolutely nothing I can say that will change your mind, and I hope you only hurt yourself and maybe the other idiot racing you when you wreck. "The road was empty" "There's never any traffic on this road" "I've done it a million times before" and others are the same as "No officer, I'm not drunk, I'm just buzzed."
Old 11-05-2011, 01:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^What do you consider a "good [summer only performance] tire"?
Old 11-05-2011, 03:05 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got on my car leaving my friends house, I spun thru 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. VDC was off, my tires are also stretched but it was fun
Old 11-05-2011, 04:01 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by fairladyz34
I just got on my car leaving my friends house, I spun thru 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. VDC was off, my tires are also stretched but it was fun
You can spin trough all the gears if you maintain the loss of traction the whole time. I just did a Bama 93 tune, CAI, and exhaust on my 5.0, and I also have the factory 3.73s in it and I can't spin in 3rd on dry pavement, and I'm at 417whp/380wtq.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:32 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^yeah I just kept on it lol and got it to kick loose and wiggle
Old 11-05-2011, 08:19 PM
darkmatter7

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
I have good tires. I can spin in first, and sometimes I can get them to chirp going into second in a straight line. I can't get them to spin in third at all. No chirp, not around corners... I suppose I could be an idiot and try a hairpin turn at 90 in third and get the back end to break loose, but why?

If you have decent tires, I can understand spinning all through first, and a little in second. I.E. when you first get it in gear, and again when you get near the redline.

Third gear should never spin if you have decent or better tires. That's why the people saying "these tires suck" are saying it. They are the people who have good tires. His tires are G-max tires? Ultra High Performance All-Season tires? Wait a minute, that's like saying Ultra Huge Mega Shrimp. The best all-season tire is worse than the worst summer tire in the summer, and worse than the worst winter tire in the winter. They should be no-season tires instead of all-season tires. Get 1 good set of high performance summer tires and you'll see the difference immediately. All-seasons are better than summer tires in snow, and snow tires in the summer though which is why people get them. You can drive them all year long so people think they are saving money.

If you're dumb enough to race on wet public road, empty or not, then there's absolutely nothing I can say that will change your mind, and I hope you only hurt yourself and maybe the other idiot racing you when you wreck. "The road was empty" "There's never any traffic on this road" "I've done it a million times before" and others are the same as "No officer, I'm not drunk, I'm just buzzed."
Man... I expected flaming but that's a little harsh. The road was completely dry... that's part of what confused me. I didn't go more than 10 mph over the speed limit. It was just two guys showing off cars... not a race, and I'm not being sarcastic by saying that. I'm against street racing. There is no need to be so rude.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spin in 3rd