Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear facing car seats that fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM
MrMichael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear facing car seats that fit

So got a little one coming in mid September so we just tried to put our Graco snugride 35 in my coupe. Yeah sure it fits in the seat easy enough, put the carrier in the base, put my seat back to where it should be, no good. Put it behind the passenger seat doesn't work also, the passenger would end up having to ride with their knees touching the glove box. Anyone using a rear facing car seat with their coupe with plenty of room for the driver or passenger? For now we have accepted defeat and will never use my coupe for any short travels but will instead be stuck using a saturn ion, ugh. We already knew we would not be able to use the G37 for long trips, there is zero room for all the baby stuff we would need to bring but I thought for sure short local trips would be fine. It is good and bad news, good being my car will be safe from kid debris, but bad in that I'll have to drive a Saturn with no xm, no cruise and no nav for long trips.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this same situation myself and I could not find a rear facing seat that would work without the person in front being cramped big time. The good part is that after a year, the little one can face forward and you have a lot more options.

I don't mind that much taking a CRV on long trips as my car has 75 work commute miles each day. In the end, both cars get about an equal amount of miles plus the CRV holds a ton more and gets a little better mileage.

And yes, your car will fare better without all the baby debris!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't use the base. Assuming this is not your primary transportation with the infant, you can just put the seatbelt through the car seat and it will take up a lot less room.

It's not ideal but it works.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Eastern-G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations on your upcoming little one!

I'm actually curious about this question myself. We currently have a 16 mo old and another due in Jan. I used to have a G35 coupe that I changed to an M35 when our daughter was born (sadly, probably didn't need to). Now I am back the the G37 coupe because our Graco convertible forward-facing seat works great behind either seat and my daughter loves it (only for short rides around town). Just make sure to put lots of towels around the seat and waterproof floormats in case! I am planning on keeping the G and moving the convertible seat behind me and installing the same Graco Snugride w/base behind the passenger. My wife is tiny, so I think it'll be ok for short trips (daycare and back) and definitely when I'm alone, but I'm curious if other seat brands or the seatbelt-without-base technique works better.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:24 PM
MrMichael

Originally Posted by Eastern-G
Congratulations on your upcoming little one!

I'm actually curious about this question myself. We currently have a 16 mo old and another due in Jan. I used to have a G35 coupe that I changed to an M35 when our daughter was born (sadly, probably didn't need to). Now I am back the the G37 coupe because our Graco convertible forward-facing seat works great behind either seat and my daughter loves it (only for short rides around town). Just make sure to put lots of towels around the seat and waterproof floormats in case! I am planning on keeping the G and moving the convertible seat behind me and installing the same Graco Snugride w/base behind the passenger. My wife is tiny, so I think it'll be ok for short trips (daycare and back) and definitely when I'm alone, but I'm curious if other seat brands or the seatbelt-without-base technique works better.
Installing without a base I don't believe is a supported installation. The snugride 35 definitely does not work well in rear facing. The handle isn't the problem, that can be swung down, it is the end of the seat where the release handle is to detach the carrier from the base. I don't have the driver seat as far back as my wife has the passenger seat and I would need quite a bit more space for it to fit just behind the driver seat. I do think forward facing won't be an issue at all though. Another issue we had is that we could not fit our stroller in the trunk at all. Just doesn't fit. Infiniti does have a pdf on their owners site about car seats but I didn't go looking for another one. Which Graco front facing seat do you have that you liked?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:42 PM
boyah

most seats work without the base... check your manual
Old 07-23-2010, 04:01 PM
SnoopSER

Congratulatons on the upcoming baby( I have another one on the way too!) Not to get off target,but as I started to have kids I knew I would never drive a coupe again(its too much of a hassle with all the stuff kids come with!) but back on topic, you can try putting the seat belt through the back of the carseat where the childs butt will be, it should hold tight. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Xen

Originally Posted by SnoopSER
Congratulatons on the upcoming baby( I have another one on the way too!) Not to get off target,but as I started to have kids I knew I would never drive a coupe again(its too much of a hassle with all the stuff kids come with!) but back on topic, you can try putting the seat belt through the back of the carseat where the childs butt will be, it should hold tight. Good luck!
Books, buddies (plushies/action figures) and MAYBE water in spill proof cups is ALL they need in a car Coups are fine, it's the parents.

Use the almost non-existent trunk space

Old 07-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
We got our chicco rear facing seats to fit in the vert with the front passenger having some room for comfort.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:51 AM
ncpalafox
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bumping this thread for more information from any parents on here. I have a little one on the way and trying to see how difficult it would be to bring an infant around + baby gear in a g37 coupe.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Infiniti has a website where they list compatible car seats that fit.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/iowne...ation/snugKids

Originally Posted by BHB 91
The good part is that after a year, the little one can face forward and you have a lot more options.
Not true. It's significantly safer to leave the kids rear-facing for as long as you can.

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I turn my baby around to face forward in the car?
When he is at least 2 years old, and preferably longer. (Swedish children ride rear-facing until at least three years old in safety seats made to fit larger children.) In a crash, an infant's spinal cord may stretch if she is riding facing forward, and the baby could die or be paralyzed for life. This is true even for babies who have strong neck muscles and good head control. For children between age 1 and 2, it is 5 times safer to ride facing the back of the car.
Most convertible safety seats can be used facing the rear up to 35-45 pounds. So there is no reason to turn your baby forward before age one and risk spinal injury. Do not use a rear-facing-only seat if your baby weighs more than the maximum shown in the instructions (22-35 lbs.) or if her head is within an inch of the top edge of the seat. When using a convertible seat rear-facing, make sure the child's head is below the top of the safety seat, so that the head is not exposed to contact with the vehicle interior.
Why is facing rearward so important?
Babies have heavy heads and fragile necks. The neck bones are soft, and the ligaments are stretchy. If the baby is facing forward in a frontal crash (the most common and most severe type of crash), the body is held back by the straps, but the head is not. The head is thrust forward, stretching the neck. Older children and adults wearing safety belts may end up with temporary neck injuries. But a baby's neck bones are soft and actually separate during a crash, and the spinal cord can tear. It's like yanking an electrical plug out of a socket by the cord and breaking the wires.
In contrast, when a baby rides facing rearward, the whole body--head, neck, and torso--is cradled by the back of the safety seat in a frontal crash. Facing rearward also protects the baby better in other types of crashes, particularly side impacts. For more information, go to "Rear-facing vs. forward-facing."

The following users liked this post:
telcoman (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:04 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ncpalafox
bumping this thread for more information from any parents on here. I have a little one on the way and trying to see how difficult it would be to bring an infant around + baby gear in a g37 coupe.
The Chicco Key FIt 30 fit nicely and with the Uppababy Vista and snap adapter and baby bag it was max capicity in the coupe. I see a sedan in your future LOL.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
The Chicco Key FIt 30 fit nicely and with the Uppababy Vista and snap adapter and baby bag it was max capicity in the coupe. I see a sedan in your future LOL.
+1 for the Key Fit 30. I also have a Britax convertible for my 3 year old. I have a sedan though