G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

First oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:05 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
To each his own ... frankly I don't see the point of buying a 40k car then going cheap on the oil. The G engine has to run hot and there are ton's of tests that show synthetic does hold up better than dino and not just after 3k miles
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Breitling65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree on above.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
To each his own ... frankly I don't see the point of buying a 40k car then going cheap on the oil. The G engine has to run hot and there are ton's of tests that show synthetic does hold up better than dino and not just after 3k miles
Frankly I don't understand how the price you pay for a car has anything to do with what oil you put in it. I have never used synthetic in any car I have ever owned and have never had engine problems. As was said before, if you plan on keeping a car after warranty its probably a good idea but otherwise, why waste the money on oil???
Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Frankly I don't understand how the price you pay for a car has anything to do with what oil you put in it. I have never used synthetic in any car I have ever owned and have never had engine problems. As was said before, if you plan on keeping a car after warranty its probably a good idea but otherwise, why waste the money on oil???
1) If you think putting a higher quality product in your car is a waste of money, then why did you get a G37 and not a Geo metro? They both get you from A to B.

2) Why base how long you are keeping the car for on what quality of product you put in it? I take pride in everything I own, which means keeping it in as pristine condition as I have control over -- regardless of how long I plan on keeping it for.

To each his own I guess
Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Breitling65

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
1) If you think putting a higher quality product in your car is a waste of money, then why did you get a G37 and not a Geo metro? They both get you from A to B.

2) Why base how long you are keeping the car for on what quality of product you put in it? I take pride in everything I own, which means keeping it in as pristine condition as I have control over -- regardless of how long I plan on keeping it for.

To each his own I guess

Agree, it is same to me as people asking why my cell phone exploded after using 3-rd party cheapo battery from Ebay with it Or why would I use high octan number gasoline on G if I could use low octane for cheap?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:59 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I have had three new cars in the past (well many) years ..all I have kept over 100k miles and over 10 years each ... not a bit of engine issues in any (Sterling, Sienna and Xterra). I used synthetic in all, I rest my case.

You don't understand the cost of the car having input on the oil? Would you buy a $3000 Nikon body and put a $100 Vivitar lens on it? A GT2 with Pep Boy special tires?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:44 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Breitling65
Agree, it is same to me as people asking why my cell phone exploded after using 3-rd party cheapo battery from Ebay with it Or why would I use high octan number gasoline on G if I could use low octane for cheap?
Yeah, thats the same thing.

Infiniti doesn't stipulate the usage of synthetic in their engines. I use the exact type of oil recommended in the owner's manual as well as the recommended octane gas. If Infiniti stipulated the use of synthetic I would use it, but I'm not wasting my money on something else when I plan on turning the car in after 36 months anyway.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:10 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Infiniti doesn't stipulate the usage of synthetic in their engines. I use the exact type of oil recommended in the owner's manual as well as the recommended octane gas. If Infiniti stipulated the use of synthetic I would use it, but I'm not wasting my money on something else when I plan on turning the car in after 36 months anyway.
You are one of the guys who always says "if the minimum wasn't good enough it wouldn't be the minimum" aren't you...

It's not a waste of money to put a higher quality product in something than the "factory recommendation"
Old 04-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Breitling65

I went to the dealer and end up paying extra $40 for Mobil 1 Synthetic; I asked again if anything against synthetic been said by Nissan and he said - no. I also talked to the mechanic who did oil change and he said - you could drive 5K miles on this oil without worry. And that is not bad advantage since 3700 miles oil change cycle is pain in special place to me.

Last edited by Breitling65; 04-03-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Breitling65

Again it is your car, but I wouldn't buy G37 if I would assume that I would save money on cheapo oil and low octan gasoline. I would get Hundai ...
Old 04-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Breitling65

Not exactly same but philosophy for about same mentality people. G37 not exactly car for saving money ...
Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

I went to the dealer and end up paying extra $40 for Mobil 1 Synthetic; I asked again if anything against synthetic been said by Nissan and he said - no. I also talked to the mechanic who did oil change and he said - you could drive 5K miles on this oil without worry. And that is not bad advantage since 3700 miles oil change cycle is pain in special place to me.
Extra $40?!?!? Just buy your own Mobil1 at Walmart for $22.99 and then take it to the dealer.

My entire oil change (when I don't do it myself) costs me ~$45.00 ($23 for the oil and my dealer charges me $22 for putting it in)
Old 04-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Breitling65

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
Extra $40?!?!? Just buy your own Mobil1 at Walmart for $22.99 and then take it to the dealer.

My entire oil change (when I don't do it myself) costs me ~$45.00 ($23 for the oil and my dealer charges me $22 for putting it in)
Who said it cost me more than $40? It is total 39.95, because first service is free as I said before Extra for non regular oil.
Why would I take it to the dealer than if I have to go Wallmart? Does it requared too much of your brain/skills to drain oil and use buttles from Wallmart? Personally, I would pay extra $50 do not go inside stores like Wallmart, I guess you know what I mean.

Last edited by Breitling65; 04-03-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:58 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Who said it cost me more than $40? It is total 39.95, because first service is free as I said before Extra for non regular oil.
Why would I take it to the dealer than if I have to go Wallmart? Does it requared too much of your brain/skills to drain oil and use buttles from Wallmart? Personally, I would pay extra $50 do not go inside stores like Wallmart, I guess you know what I mean.
umm....you said you paid an extra $40 for Mobil1...I'm just saying you can get it a lot cheaper.

I went to the dealer and end up paying extra $40 for Mobil 1 Synthetic
I almost always do my own oil changes. sometimes I don't have the time and just drop it off at the dealer. I have a big supply of it at home that I buy from WalMart.

And no, I don't know what you mean b/c I can barely understand what you are typing.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:00 PM
MrBig

This debate has been going on since synthetic oil has been available. The powertrain warranty covers 72months/70,000 miles regardless of the oil used. I just choose to follow the owners manual for everything about the car oil/gas etc. Others do not. Doesn't make it right or wrong, it's just an opinion. I don't race, autocross or otherwise put the car through extreme conditions, others do. It's your car do what you want.

Quick Reply: First oil change question