Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Center Console Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:05 PM
seadoo9010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Console Issues

I have a 2008 G37S automatic coupe, and lately I have been experiencing clicking and "plastic-y" noises from the center console whenever I drive over even the slightest bump or imperfection in the road; it could even be something as minor as a reflector on the pavement.

I have no other complaints with the car, but this one issue is bugging me the most...it just seems ridiculous for a $45K coupe to have this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this, and have you taken the issue to the dealer? If so, what have they said?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never heard of any center console noise. Just take it to the dealership and ask the service writer to ride with you so he can hear it.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get an annoying squeak from the armrest on my 6MT.....
Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Dumb question but on this site I have to ask. Do you have change or any objects jiggling around in there?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I have been getting the same thing lately. I think its just the center piece (the part with the cup holders) flexing against the 2 side panels.

You could always try and get some WD-40 in between there, or take the whole thing apart to see what could be done.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:26 AM
CateyeRR

I'd shy away from wd-40; I don't think i'd want oily stuff in my console that could leech out onto carpet or something. Graphite powder might work well here.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. It seems to come and go, but when it happens, it's a clicking noise that almost sounds like the plastics are being twisted. It's usually more noticeable when I do something that puts some stress on the chassis (i.e. speed bump, bump road, hard turn, brake hard, etc). I wish it was more consistent so I could reproduce the problem at the dealership, but it seems to be pretty random. That, the RPM surge issue, and the seat bubble are my only complaints about this car. I hope to get at least 2 out of 3 resolved before my warranty runs out.

Closest TSB I can find is here, but I'm not sure if this is relevant.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/tsb-tec...dash-area.html
Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM
seadoo9010

Dumb question but on this site I have to ask. Do you have change or any objects jiggling around in there?
Nope, just my iPod, which I'm certain is not causing the issue.

It seems very temperature dependent; it occurs more frequently in the warmer weather. And when I have a passenger, even their knee touching the center console causes it to make this noise. Very irritating and embarrassing because it's pretty loud.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I've got the exact same thing. I'm going to try to lubricate the hinge and clasp. Not sure with what yet.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CateyeRR
I'd shy away from wd-40; I don't think i'd want oily stuff in my console that could leech out onto carpet or something. Graphite powder might work well here.
Stay away from graphite as well, it stains like a *****
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 PM
huyberz350gt

I have squeaky noise coming from left front driver dashboard side and somewhere on the passenger side door...its also pissing me the hell off! Im thinking bout taking my car in sometime soon...will let you guys know how it goes
Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
blkburner

Glad I found another person with this same issue, its really driving me crazy. Like you said, the slightest bump or any pressure at all on it and it sounds like the plastics in the console are twisting...they make a loud "creaking" sound...almost like an old door opening slowly. It starts at the armrest and goes up to the ashtray. It sounds the worst when you push in on either side of the console. I think I may go to the dealer for this, does anyone have an idea of what they might do?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could always try the dealer, but in most cases they fix one problem but create two more.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:18 PM
blkburner

Originally Posted by beerme986
you could always try the dealer, but in most cases they fix one problem but create two more.
Yeah, thats what is holding me back from taking it over there. At this point its either that or take it apart myself, which I don't think I want to do.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:55 PM
InfiniDrew

The center consol isn't too hard to take apart if you're willing to do it yourself. While taking apart my interior, I noticed that there are many parts that have a small strip of fabric glued around certain edges that connect to other pieces of trim...although I'm trying to remember if the center consol had any. hmmm. But maybe one of those pieces moved slightly out of place?

The entire center consol is only held by 4 screws. Of course, you need to take off a few other pieces to get to those screws...

Let me know if you want to take it apart...I can help out (but I have a 6MT, so it'll be different if you have an AT).

Quick Reply: Center Console Issues