Sponsored By:

Grounding Wires....whats your take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Kingston Kustoms
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Grounding Wires....whats your take?

Hey everyone just wanted to hear what you have to think about grounding wires. I know there are posts about the technical aspect of them but let’s hear what you have to say about them as a whole. I don’t have them myself but if all is true and you do get a quicker shift response from the AT....why wouldn’t anyone want them.

Ok...so now let’s hear what you think
Old 02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll start it off...

S
Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Dieseldoug22

I don't know why people wouldn't want them. The ones who aren't afraid to mod their cars have done it, and others have an MT wouldn't notice much difference. Then you have the ones that think "Unless it comes from the dealer" won't do it because they are too scared. From what I've seen the ones that aren't afraid to mod themselves and have an AT have done it. Plus a few with MT.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:30 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as you can avoid busting off bolts and leaving them buried in the block it's a no brainer!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a grounding wire kit on my last car. They are very easy to install. If you can take a bolt off and put one back on, you can install them.

I noticed a slight benefit in shifting for my AT, but thats about it. However, my last car was really laggy.

For an AT, I think the 7 speed in the G is actually pretty good. Not as good as the dual clutches, but one of the better shifting transmissions I have ever driven, so for me, I dont think I have a need for a grounding kit. My only complaint about the AT is some of the engine breaking and downshifts, but Im pretty sure there is a TSB out that will fix that, so Im planning on getting the TSB first to see if it eliminates the problem.

If you want better throttle response, your issue probably is with the drive-by wire and a blitz throttle controller might be the better option.

My take: They arent a must-have mod...... I put them in the same boat as the COBB post MAF hose. They will provide a small benefit, but for the cost, are you really expecting a 5 hp gain from them? But if you are a mod addict, and are spending thousands on an exhaust an intake, for under 100 bucks, you might as well add a grounding kit. Some people spend hundreds on a carbon fiber engine cover or asthetic parts. For some people, grounding wires complete the under the hood look.

However, to each his own. I consider changing the suspension and dropping the car to even out the fender gap a must have mod, but a lot of people on here are fine with the stock look. And I also consider getting rid of the amber sidemarkers a must have mod because I think they look horrible on some colors, however a lot of people dont want the hassle associated with them and keep them. To each his own.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Beer Magazine

These aren't noticeable. I put them on my 350Z and those who think the can feel any difference are also loving sugar pills. I remember arguing with people that they felt name brands were better...as if your car can tell differences in wire.

All the DYNO BS is just that 3-10hp are standard variations in run to run. If you want your engine to look maybe a little "cooler" then put them on...otherwise they do nothing.

You think a manufacturer wouldn't ground their car right?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 PM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
These aren't noticeable. I put them on my 350Z and those who think the can feel any difference are also loving sugar pills. I remember arguing with people that they felt name brands were better...as if your car can tell differences in wire.

All the DYNO BS is just that 3-10hp are standard variations in run to run. If you want your engine to look maybe a little "cooler" then put them on...otherwise they do nothing.

You think a manufacturer wouldn't ground their car right?
Well put. If you think it will make something work better then
it probably will, and I only say that because there is more
emperical evidence of the placebo effect than there is tangible
effects from grounding wires.....or you can fill up your tank
and change your oil and send me $50 and I'll send you a "MOJO"
bag to hang from your mirror that I guarantee will affect
your car.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Beer Magazine

It's even funnier to see that people can feel mechanical difference in an electric "ground"...lol My mufffler bearings are attached to my blinker fluid...quick get me a left handed screwdriver.

But if you think it works it's money well spent.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Kingston Kustoms
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So help me out here. For these people claiming that there is actually an improvement....why not try something like this; Here's a bit of Quality Assurance for those manufactures to put to the test if you want to prove your product improves at least shift response on an automatic transmission.

Set up a Repeatability and reliability test.

Use a camcorder inside the car so you can see when you have engaged the paddle shift up and also hear when your car has completed the gear change. Make sure you have a program that you can transfer the video onto that can capture milliseconds (Most programs do anyway)

Have the car travel at a moderate speed on a stock car set up (without the grounding kit) and maintain a certain speed. At a specific RPM in a certain gear, shift the gear up. Repeat the exact same speed, RPM and gear shift about 10 times not changing or allowing for different variables. (IE Use the same road and do it in the same day, etc..) oh and my bit of health and safety is to do this on a closed circuit road. lol

Now once that is done.... Put one of the grounding kits on and repeat the same thing as in the stock set up another 10 times.

Get the averages from the video clips and compare the milliseconds that it takes from triggering the shifter to engaging the next gear. Now you have some actual data that can say yes or no, these kits will improve something like shift response. For any manufacture who is willing to do this, think of it this way, here is your chance to prove you have a quality product that works and put some disbelievers to rest and increase the amount of kits you sell….or…..if no one steps up to the plate….you are only admitting that you have a product that you are not willing to admit is only cosmetic and serves no purpose….but love selling them to make a quick buck.

So there! There is your challenge. And please don’t get me wrong, I’d love to be proven wrong as well and would gladly pay the money to have such an item if it can be proven to do what is claimed.
You might have to get creative and post a video comparison as well.

Good luck to anyone who is willing to try!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:10 AM
camNili

Honestly, it's worth the money. It's the cheapest performance mod you can do to your car; why not? I have experienced VERY smooth gear shifts since I installed the Stillen GW. It just has more wiring for the stock wiring. Just do it haha you have nothing to lose and it's not a pointless mod unless you have MT.

I have the 5at and i dont regret buying it
Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

i have on as well on my 5AT
Old 02-03-2010, 09:28 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I think that one active thread is enough on this one.