G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2 years with my g-coupe, my thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM
White_G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't feel like reading the whole two pages but all I can say is good luck with the 335. Im selling my 07 BMW 650i which is q much superior car to the 335 and has had 25k worth of warrantee work done. Been to the dealer about 15times. Been through 3 batteries that left me stranded. My brother has a 328 conv 2008 and it has been in the shop more then mine.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:41 AM
beattyG37

Originally Posted by White_G
I didn't feel like reading the whole two pages but all I can say is good luck with the 335. Im selling my 07 BMW 650i which is q much superior car to the 335 and has had 25k worth of warrantee work done. Been to the dealer about 15times. Been through 3 batteries that left me stranded. My brother has a 328 conv 2008 and it has been in the shop more then mine.
That echo's my BMW experience (twice). Personally I will never go back to BMW but everyone has their own experiences. My '09 G37S has been a WELCOME change. Never had to go to the shop for anything unexpected except about a week after I got the oil change at the Infiniti Dealer, noticed some oil burning. Dealer overtightened the drain plug and cracked the plug washer so a little oil dripped on the exhaust pipe. BMW were probably the best driving cars I ever had, but taking them to the shop all the time SUCKED.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before it was totaled, I had just under 11k miles, purchased in Feb., no issues.

OP- Not to bash, but you complain about the G's reliability, then purchase a car that is being recalled because of engine issues (the N54 in your new car). (?) BMW has to field several lawsuits due to the "unreliability" of the '07-'10 335's.

Some cars have "gremlins" in 'em. I had a '99 Mercury Cougar V6 when they came out in '98. I was in a "loaner" more often than I was in my car. Trans went, cylinders wouldn't fire, computer died, sunroof motor died, stereo died, window motors died, etc. On top of that, my sister went to move my car, but used my truck key and busted it in the ignition (lock smith got it out).

Good luck with your new ride.

edit: wasn't "08", it was "98".

Last edited by Vasher; 10-27-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:30 PM
zesus-G

I call BS on the $25k in warranty work. I was to Infiniti 15+times in 2 years, neither are acceptable but 25k in work? be real here man..... But hey, I get the point....It seems that you may have had a far inferior 650i than usually comes off the line then guess huh?

Ever wonder why the older 04-08 6 and 7 series are soo cheap??? Electronics issues, mass recalls, and generally poor engineering plagued these models. You can get a loaded 7'er or 6'er for (04-07ish) for way under $40k...something has always been wrong there.

The 3 series is a pretty strong line, I dont agree with you saying the 335 is inferior to your 650, I would put my originally invoiced $50k+ loaded 335 against a 650 for comparison anyday....in looks, performance and overall class leading value.

Again, to each is own. That is your experience with your BMW, and this is mine so far. The original thread was from my experience with the G, which clearly was lackluster compared to all other cars that I owed in my life. I was disappointed in the car, but a few years down the line and maybe I would consider another one.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:43 PM
zesus-G

Originally Posted by Vasher
Before it was totaled, I had just under 11k miles, purchased in Feb., no issues.

OP- Not to bash, but you complain about the G's reliability, then purchase a car that is being recalled because of engine issues (the N54 in your new car). (?) BMW has to field several lawsuits due to the "unreliability" of the '07-'10 335's.

Some cars have "gremlins" in 'em. I had a '99 Mercury Cougar V6 when they came out in '08. I was in a "loaner" more often than I was in my car. Trans went, cylinders wouldn't fire, computer died, sunroof motor died, stereo died, window motors died, etc. On top of that, my sister went to move my car, but used my truck key and busted it in the ignition (lock smith got it out).

Good luck with your new ride.

Thanks for the well-wishes, I appreciate it.

I just wanted to correct a few things you implied....I never complained about the reliability of the Infiniti, I complained about the cheapness of the car, and how you should not have to deal with "KIA" level quality on a $40k+ car.

And btw, BMW is not recalling the "car"....they are recalling the high pressure fuel pump for a fix. Basically the car gets updated software that primes the hp pump so it doesnt burn out. If that doesnt fix, the pump is replaced. ALL of the hpfp's are warrantied for 10yrs and 120k plus miles, so BMW addressed that. BMW is actually sueing the company who originally designed the pumps that required replacing (Bosch i think?)

Yeah, everybody knows fuel pump issues, it is ****ed up I admit. But IMO... to drive this car, and get the satisfaction I get from it everyday I jump in it....its worth dealing with something like this, mostly because I have not been affected by it too much. I also knew I was taking a gamble at BMW's first attempt inlike 30yrs (if not ever) at a FI engine. Been good so far.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM
zesus-G

Damn, I forgot how much cooler everybody is on the non-BMW forums!!! lololol Theres alot of messed up slander and bs on there....I appreciate the well wishes on my car, even if you write some heavily opinionated comments!! lol I still dig this community!!!!

Except for all the painted, iron man headlights or other rice mods!!!! lol Even thats ok...
Old 10-27-2010, 12:49 PM
White_G

I had my rack and pinion replaced with 41k miles. It was 9k job. The heated steering wheel had to be changed twice cause it would start smoking. My halo headlight went out on both sides. The nav DVD player quit the first month I had the car and the steering angle sensor went also. Don't forget the three batteries. An installed battery is 1k each time. My last car was an 07 zo6 vette and I actually enjoyed the BMW more all around. The 6 is an amazing looking car but looks are in the eye of the beholder and the 6 def gets more respect on the street because of the price. My 6 was 88.xxx plus gas guzzler and tax was almost 100k out the door. I'm honestly buying a G because I can lease one new for 450 a month and not have to worrie about it being in the shop all the time. I like the 335, I think the recalled the orig turbos right? I would consider the m3 but I think there changing the body style in 2012 And fear the repairs.
Originally Posted by zesus-G
I call BS on the $25k in warranty work. I was to Infiniti 15+times in 2 years, neither are acceptable but 25k in work? be real here man..... But hey, I get the point....It seems that you may have had a far inferior 650i than usually comes off the line then guess huh?

Ever wonder why the older 04-08 6 and 7 series are soo cheap??? Electronics issues, mass recalls, and generally poor engineering plagued these models. You can get a loaded 7'er or 6'er for (04-07ish) for way under $40k...something has always been wrong there.

The 3 series is a pretty strong line, I dont agree with you saying the 335 is inferior to your 650, I would put my originally invoiced $50k+ loaded 335 against a 650 for comparison anyday....in looks, performance and overall class leading value.

Again, to each is own. That is your experience with your BMW, and this is mine so far. The original thread was from my experience with the G, which clearly was lackluster compared to all other cars that I owed in my life. I was disappointed in the car, but a few years down the line and maybe I would consider another one.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:21 PM
zesus-G

I had my rack and pinion replaced with 41k miles. It was 9k job. The heated steering wheel had to be changed twice cause it would start smoking. My halo headlight went out on both sides. The nav DVD player quit the first month I had the car and the steering angle sensor went also. Don't forget the three batteries. An installed battery is 1k each time. My last car was an 07 zo6 vette and I actually enjoyed the BMW more all around. The 6 is an amazing looking car but looks are in the eye of the beholder and the 6 def gets more respect on the street because of the price. My 6 was 88.xxx plus gas guzzler and tax was almost 100k out the door. I'm honestly buying a G because I can lease one new for 450 a month and not have to worrie about it being in the shop all the time. I like the 335, I think the recalled the orig turbos right? I would consider the m3 but I think there changing the body style in 2012 And fear the repairs.
Holy ****!!!! I stand corrected! I hope BMW gave you everything under the sun for your troubles....I would have complained until they gave me a M6 instead!!!

On the other hand wtf my friend?, the price for you 6 brand new is rediculous, not bashing and I dont know what made you make your decision spend that on a 6 series, but there are about 20 other amazing cars in that price range that about 100% of even the most die-hard BMW owners would consider over a 650i. (including maybe even a CPO'd M6 for less!!!) Your choice of course...and in the end, from what you're saying, the car was a real POS. That really sucks......I got my 335 for such a great deal, i decided not to shop m3's at the time, and I closed on it quick. I knew that I could break even or even profit on a sale, so I should be in good shape.

And no, the turbo's were not recalled. Turbo's were replaced due to poorly designed internal wastegates. They were prone to rattling, but as most hardcore tuners know, internal gates tend not seal so great, they spike boost, and they commonly rattle. The turbos, gates, and manifolds are basically packaged as one piece, so when there is an issue, these idiot techs at BMW replaced EVERYTHING.....which is ok in my book!!!!!!!!!!

CPO or extended warranty is a must with any BMW IMO.....but then if you tinker and tune, you run the risk of getting flagged and warranty claims denied.

You have to be well educated and informed of all issues that exist before you purchase any car.....Most people that actually join online forums representing specific cars actually are pretty well-informed.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:24 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry about all your problems with the G. I had an 08 for 2 years and 40k miles and loved it so much I got a new 2010 in March. No major problems for me in either car (other than a weak clutch in the 6MT which I rectified with a 7AT this time around). Hopefully the BMW will do better by you (but watch out for that HPFP).
Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 PM
IntegraHellsing

That sucks that you had so many problems. Based upon the following proven data:

Best & worst cars, top cars and lowest scorers, overall

2010 Infiniti G37 Reviews, Pictures and Prices - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

the G37 (overall) is a very reliable vehicle and unfortunately you got a lemon. Now, the chances of getting a lemon from infiniti is less then getting a lemon from BMW, however you can purchase one from either company. I'm about 5 months into my lease, and the only thing i've noticed with my G so far is that there are tiny chips in the front bumper, but hey I guess I should have gotten the clear bra.

Why did I choose the g over the 3 series? First, I require all-wheel drive living in Utah and hitting the slopes in winter. That meant the G37x or the 328i x-drive or whatever bmw calls it. The G has way more standard features, and to equip the 328 comparably to the G, it puts the price about 7-10k higher. (I can't remember exactly). Bimmer--no standard seat heaters, standard in the G. Bimmer--no standard Xenon headlights, standard in the G. Bimmer--no standard bluetooth phone interface, standard in the G.

I felt like BMW was trying to nickel and dime me when building a comparable vehicle to the G37X when I was on their website, that and the fact they are rated lower in reliability steered me towards the G.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:38 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zesus-G
hey guys....just dropping back in to see how things are going on give a recap of my experience to date with my 335!!!!!!

Well, Ive put about 20k trouble free miles on my car, just did EBC brakes and hawk pads, wheels, lowering cups in the front, (going with kw-v1's in a month or so) Was running an ecu tune for a little but took it out for regular service, going for the full JB3 tune and all the trinkets like the DP's, intercooler upgrade, diverter valves,exhaust....etc in the spring time....Very Very happy with the car....DO NOT MISS MY G37 at all!!!!! Here's a pick with my VMR wheels, Oem Mtech lip, brakes (if you can see), some reflector blanks, and matte grills.

My hpfp was replaced by that previous owner, but BMW has supposedly "fixed" the problem with upgraded software and pump...I've been good since I took ownership a year ago!!!!! But like most of you guys said, the HPFP is a very real problem....a national recall has just been issued this week for a permanent fix. The "limp" mode or protection function on my car is annoying (if it happens) but it really just prevents user from damaging the car if somthing goes. I got a limp for a temperature sensor on a 105 degree day running hard with my tune and ac blasting.....the tune wasnt related to the limp, so everything was fixed and that was that...no problems since. I really cant explain how much more solid this car is than the G....I would suggest you guys thinking about a 335 to actually go and drive one of the newer 335's or the 335is. Great cars.

I will be probably keeping this car for another year or so only....fortunately for me, I am in a better position career wise and financially as well....so I am shopping for an 08-09 e92 M3, or maybe even a 09 GTR if I come across something. I drove a coworkers GTR a few weeks back and jizzed my pants....lol (kinda miss the Nissans!!!)

Oh yeah, definately havent fallen into the douchebag category as most of the 335 owners so often do.....boy oh boy there are alot of *******'s in that e90post.com forum!!!!!!! Man miss the my350 and myg37 forums!!!!

Take it easy guys, thanks for reading!
Your 335i looks amazing! I'll be doing the same when my lease is up. Congrats!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Amon_Ra

i have to go in for wind howl...but overall my '08 hasnt been too bad...but thats what warranties are for right?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Breitling65

> Following that the floormats had to be replaced because I wore a hole in the driver side...

Agree on this, chaged twice already, another issue is watrer from windows in first rain I got. I would probably also move to 335 but in two years, car is too new.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 AM
snackpatch

Long Story, but would totally appreciate this group’s input. If you want the quick version scroll to the bottom bullet points. Thanks.

Guys - I am new to the Infiniti world and to this site. The only cars I have ever driven have been made by Honda; most recently an ’08 Acura TSX. I leased it, so when I realized it was not worth buying 36 months later (duh), I went out looking for a new car. Landed my eyes square on a G37S, and when I realized it was in my price range I went from dealer to dealer (in Chicago burbs) looking for the best one. Ended up getting a great deal on an ’08, white, 18K miles, 6MT at a non-Infiniti dealer. I was talked into buying the Millenium wheel protection plan, and got it for $500. Thought it would be a good idea in case I hit a pot hole in the city (I live in downtown Chi) and crack the rim. They said it’s accepted at any Infiniti dealer, and they would replace rims if necessary with no deductible.

NOW TO THE POINT.. So I can definitely echo some of zesus-G’s problems. The very first night I brought the car home I heard a loud spinning when releasing the clutch. Some people told me Infiniti clutches are loud, so I drove a few more days. Ended up taking it to Fields Infiniti in Libertyville, IL (near where I work). Service Manager told me he could not pin-point what it was and couldn’t be sure without dropping the tranny. Told me if it was not the transmission then I would be responsible for paying. He kept it for a few days, and then told me definitively it was the bearing on the transmission and it would be covered so I told him to go ahead and fix it since there would be no charge. He ordered parts and replaced it, but said the noise was still coming back. Then told me he needs to change the whole transmission!! I was like WTF. I had the car for 3 days, and then it was with the Dealer for 2 weeks! After replacing the whole transmission it was okay then. Since then, I hear a knocking from the clutch which resonates through to the gear box when sitting idle with the clutch engaged. Also, a BUNCH of other noises – windshield crackling, navi console crackling, something in back seat rattling, brakes squealing when in reverse, and more. Needless to say, my impression of Infiniti’s quality is not at the highest point right now, so I’m wondering if I made a wrong decision getting this car. My Acura TSX had ZERO problems – NONE. Never had to take it in for anything other than normal maintenance, and it never failed me in anyway. I know these are totally different cars, but it’s just a drastic transition to have my car in the shop for two weeks after getting it. It’s encouraging to see quite a few of you have had no problems with yours, so maybe after working through these few problems I’ll be okay (???).

So here are my summary comments/questions:
1. Does anyone else hear the knocking coming from the clutch when sitting idle? Is it normal, or something to be concerned about?
2. What is this seat bubbling issue that everyone is talking about? How do I identify it, and should I do something about it now?
3. The windshield squeaking – any solutions? It’s very annoying.
4. Exhaust – I don’t think mine has been replaced. Should I proactively ask them to check it out, and replace if necessary?
5. Any suggestions on snow tire/rim packages for the winter?
6. Does anyone else have the Millenium Tire/Rim Warranty? Have you found it useful?

Again – thanks for taking the time to read this. I would really appreciate your input. Let me end on a positive note for the G37, regardless of the problems I’ve been having – I got this car for it’s look and performance, and hands-down it is the nicest car I've ever had!!

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:56 PM
G-Rider-Azn
Banned

TRY GENESIS COUPE!!!! You won't bring up that, "but the point is that i expect this from a KIA or HYUNDAI or some other garbage car" kinda of **** again!

Quick Reply: 2 years with my g-coupe, my thoughts...