Sponsored By:

G37 Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G2Envy
I think it's a safety concern regarding baby seats. If there is a baby seat there you wouldn't want the airbags to deploy.
People put baby seats in the front? That's pretty dumb! But wouldn't the sensor see that as the same as if a person were sitting there?

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Because if they deploy unnecessarily when they're not needed, it will cost a few thousand bucks to fix when they didn't need to deploy in the first place. The sensors are extremely reliable. If they weren't and they malfunctioned and didn't deploy when they were supposed to they would get sued for a gazillion dollars. They work.
I suppose when you get into the costs of replacement it makes sense for the consumer, but wouldn't a car company want to be able to charge you more money for repairs? I'd be surprised if anyone decided not to buy a car based on the fact that it doesn't have those sensors, it seems like it isn't really worth it for the car company to do that. The company has to spend more money on parts that is reflected by no change in the prices people are willing to spend on the car, and they don't get to sell as many air bag replacements.

The same (well, opposite, but the same idea) can be said for the lock on the nav system when you are in motion. Wouldn't that be something that might make people not want to buy the car? I'm sure some people would be turned off when they realize the car does that, especially with cheaper cars when there are so many alternatives. You would think a car company would make sure not to install a nav lock to avoid losing sales.

Come to think of it, how exactly does the sensor work? Is it a weight sensor or a seatbelt sensor? If it were a seatbelt sensor that would be pretty dumb; some retards out there don't wear seatbelts because they think the airbag will save them, but then their punishment for not wearing a seatbelt is that the airbags don't deploy, then they're really screwed. Yeah, I suppose it must be a weight sensor but it would be funny if it were a seatbelt sensor--natural selection at its finest . Anyone know how much weight the sensor requires?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by soldier9599
People put baby seats in the front? That's pretty dumb! But wouldn't the sensor see that as the same as if a person were sitting there?

I suppose when you get into the costs of replacement it makes sense for the consumer, but wouldn't a car company want to be able to charge you more money for repairs? I'd be surprised if anyone decided not to buy a car based on the fact that it doesn't have those sensors, it seems like it isn't really worth it for the car company to do that. The company has to spend more money on parts that is reflected by no change in the prices people are willing to spend on the car, and they don't get to sell as many air bag replacements.

The same (well, opposite, but the same idea) can be said for the lock on the nav system when you are in motion. Wouldn't that be something that might make people not want to buy the car? I'm sure some people would be turned off when they realize the car does that, especially with cheaper cars when there are so many alternatives. You would think a car company would make sure not to install a nav lock to avoid losing sales.

Come to think of it, how exactly does the sensor work? Is it a weight sensor or a seatbelt sensor? If it were a seatbelt sensor that would be pretty dumb; some retards out there don't wear seatbelts because they think the airbag will save them, but then their punishment for not wearing a seatbelt is that the airbags don't deploy, then they're really screwed. Yeah, I suppose it must be a weight sensor but it would be funny if it were a seatbelt sensor--natural selection at its finest . Anyone know how much weight the sensor requires?
You kind of answered your own questions. The sensor detects adult weight to activate the airbags. How much I don't know exactly, I'd guess at least 70 pounds or so. They don't want them to deploy with a child seat as it might injure the child, particularly if someone were to place a rear facing child seat up front. See your waring on the visor. So they make it a failsafe in case someone does this so that it doesn't injure or kill their child due to owner stupidity or people who won't RTFM. I doubt the sensor is very expensive. At any rate, I can guarantee that all the sensors used on every one of their cars costs less than just one judgment plus punitive damages for negligence in the case of a kid getting killed because Infiniti decided it wasn't "cost effective" to implement when the technology to save that life is readily available.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Achilles

I still think the NAV lock is total bull**** and I hate that I have to get a NAV work-around for this crap!!!!! How can they say that they are targeting BMW 3series when their NAV systems don't lock you out while in motion??? Fracking Nissan!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:08 AM
J.Oh

Originally Posted by Achilles
I still think the NAV lock is total bull**** and I hate that I have to get a NAV work-around for this crap!!!!! How can they say that they are targeting BMW 3series when their NAV systems don't lock you out while in motion??? Fracking Nissan!!!!!!!!
theres a mod to get rid of this forgot which company makes it though
Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by homelessdrunk
theres a mod to get rid of this forgot which company makes it though
Yeah I know of the mod but it sucks that you have to get a mod for something you've already paid a bit of money to use. This is huge drawback of the car in my opinion, compared with BMW. This car has so much potential but Infiniti is holding itself back. So sad..........
Old 06-17-2008, 12:58 AM
gxerboi750

Airbag Sensors And Deployment Issues...

You guys got this issue with the sensors twisted. Passenger seats have airbag sensors in them to prevent it from deploying in the event that the passenger him/herself is not sitting properly. Just imagine what would happen if the passenger falls asleep and has his/her head flopped to the right side of the seat (where the side airbag is located) when the airbag suddenly goes off due to a colission. RIGHT!!! It's pretty much an airbag guillotine!!! Seat sensors can also sense (by weight) if the occupant is a child or an adult. Most airbags are now multi stage meaning they can deploy at different speeds depending on what is needed to lessen the impact on the passenger. I'm a shop foreman at a dealership. It's not Infinity but all safety stuff are almost the same. Hope this clears up the issues...
Old 06-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by gxerboi750
You guys got this issue with the sensors twisted. Passenger seats have airbag sensors in them to prevent it from deploying in the event that the passenger him/herself is not sitting properly. Just imagine what would happen if the passenger falls asleep and has his/her head flopped to the right side of the seat (where the side airbag is located) when the airbag suddenly goes off due to a colission. RIGHT!!! It's pretty much an airbag guillotine!!! Seat sensors can also sense (by weight) if the occupant is a child or an adult. Most airbags are now multi stage meaning they can deploy at different speeds depending on what is needed to lessen the impact on the passenger. I'm a shop foreman at a dealership. It's not Infinity but all safety stuff are almost the same. Hope this clears up the issues...
Please explain how the sensor determines if an adult is asleep and leaned toward the B pillar, leaned forward near the dash, or in any other dangerous position in the seat?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
xeddyboi420x

sometimes when my gf sits in the passenger I still notice that the passenger airbag is off! should I take it in?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:24 PM
ppc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xeddyboi420x
sometimes when my gf sits in the passenger I still notice that the passenger airbag is off! should I take it in?
Start dating older women or feed her a hamburger !
Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 PM
gxerboi750

Seat Back Sensors

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Please explain how the sensor determines if an adult is asleep and leaned toward the B pillar, leaned forward near the dash, or in any other dangerous position in the seat?
All front seats (and rear seats) have two parts. The part where your butt sits on (called the "seat bottom") and the part where your back leans onto (called the "seat back").
Look at your passeger "seat back" and you'll notice that it is divided into 3 separate parts. Left bolster, middle part and right bolster. Each of those "seat back" portions are imbeded with thin strips of materials that are spaced evenly apart from each other from top to bottom. Now, these thin strips project low frequency radio waves (no worries, its not deadly) to the the next strip above it or below it. If a person lays a body part on top of these strips, the radio waves are cut off indicating the location of the occupant. For example, if the right bolster radio waves are interrupted, the system knows that the passenger is leaning on top of it and is not sitting upright/straight. Also, if only the the bottom half of the middle part of the passenger "seat back" radio frequency is interrupted, the system knows that there is a child, or an adult is leaning forward with the help of the seat weight sensor. Hope this helps...
Old 06-17-2008, 09:38 PM
gxerboi750

Originally Posted by xeddyboi420x
Make sure your GF is sitting reasonably upright. Also make sure she doesn't have anything on her sides (handbag). Also, certain cellphones, laptops and electrical gadgets can mess with the sensors. Your dealership will tell you the same thing unless there is really something wrong with your SRS system and a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is stored in the SRS unit. But if that's the case, then your SRS light (not airbag off light) on your gauge cluster will be permanently illuminated until the problem is fixed.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 PM
mal_TX

My current favorite passenger pose is the nasty feet on the dashboard with the massively reclined seat...

I guess people don't find being able to walk worth more than slouching in a seat.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by gxerboi750
All front seats (and rear seats) have two parts. The part where your butt sits on (called the "seat bottom") and the part where your back leans onto (called the "seat back").
Look at your passeger "seat back" and you'll notice that it is divided into 3 separate parts. Left bolster, middle part and right bolster. Each of those "seat back" portions are imbeded with thin strips of materials that are spaced evenly apart from each other from top to bottom. Now, these thin strips project low frequency radio waves (no worries, its not deadly) to the the next strip above it or below it. If a person lays a body part on top of these strips, the radio waves are cut off indicating the location of the occupant. For example, if the right bolster radio waves are interrupted, the system knows that the passenger is leaning on top of it and is not sitting upright/straight. Also, if only the the bottom half of the middle part of the passenger "seat back" radio frequency is interrupted, the system knows that there is a child, or an adult is leaning forward with the help of the seat weight sensor. Hope this helps...
Thanks for the explanation. It does help. A lot!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:56 AM
sorphin

Not trying to hijack here.. but interesting airbag sensor story.. I had a 350Z before i got my G.. some bimbo caused me to wreck it.. the airbags didn't deploy.. I later found out.. that's because the wires to the front bumper sensor were CUT during the impact... Nice design there eh?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:42 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
you should have sued nissan,air bags that fail to deploy in a serious accident.
they would be 100 % liable for any of your injuries.

Quick Reply: G37 Recall?