Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2 questions about our beloved G37...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:09 PM
G35Tuning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 questions about our beloved G37...

1. When cruising at very low speeds "usually in 1st gear or 2nd gear for the 6MT guys" is there supposed to be a very noticeable whine when under light acceleration coming from the transmission? Sounds like its coming through the dash...Even worse with the windows down...

2. For those who haven't noticed "6MT guys only"...Sit in your garage with the car on...When the clutch is not engaged there is a very loud mechanical noise that comes from under the car...But the moment I press the clutch in it automatically stops...Does that have something to do with the hyd clutch?

Everything else is great...Just curious about both of those things as I never had those issues with the G35...Thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 PM
maxipad96

This has been discussed about sitting and the clutch.

Don't know the answer but several of us have it.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:25 PM
G35Tuning

Thanks Maxi...How about the whine that comes from the transmission upon acceleration? Please tell me its not just my car...LMAO
Old 05-08-2008, 11:46 PM
chain492

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Tuning
Thanks Maxi...How about the whine that comes from the transmission upon acceleration? Please tell me its not just my car...LMAO
i've heard alot of discussion about both of these that you speak of. go search and you may see some solutions.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:59 PM
GiGGaplease

i have #2 happen to me. im not sure about #1, i probably do not pay attention to that.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 AM
DetroitG37Joe

my car is guilty of #2 and its annoying but at least its moderate and consistent...for now...im only just past 3k miles...my fellow g37 owner down the street from my at 7k had a much louder noise at idle when clutch was not pressed in....his tranny has been pulled from the car to research whether its a problematic noise....i have no clue about #1 u mentioned dont think ive noticed that at all.....
Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
jab23

I have the first issue. The tranny is just whiney when you are in first gear and moving at a very slow speed...like looking for a parking spot or something. I don't think it's an issue, just annoying. Noticed it the first day I got the car. Only notice it occasionaly now. Just used to it I guess. Not sure about the second issue. I'll have to check it out.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 AM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
my car is guilty of #2 and its annoying but at least its moderate and consistent...for now...im only just past 3k miles...my fellow g37 owner down the street from my at 7k had a much louder noise at idle when clutch was not pressed in....his tranny has been pulled from the car to research whether its a problematic noise....i have no clue about #1 u mentioned dont think ive noticed that at all.....
post updates. if its the transmission, i will go back to the dealership and get that **** fixed, muthafudge told me its not........
Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 AM
jab23

Come to think of it, my G35 transmission ate itself at 1000 miles when I bought it back in 2003. Replaced under warranty, but you'd think Nissan would have gotten it right by now. Not saying these issues are problems, but I'ved owned a lot of cars with manual transmisions and I don't remember any of them having mystery noises.

Oh well, still loving the car though and I like the clutch feel and shift action.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 AM
G35Tuning

Originally Posted by jab23
I have the first issue. The tranny is just whiney when you are in first gear and moving at a very slow speed...like looking for a parking spot or something. I don't think it's an issue, just annoying. Noticed it the first day I got the car. Only notice it occasionaly now. Just used to it I guess. Not sure about the second issue. I'll have to check it out.

Exactly...I really dont want to get used to it...Its a mistake on my part as I should have paid closer attention on my test drive...I LOVE this car...10X better then my G35 in terms of its all around capabilities..But the whiney trans is something better suited for a 18k car....Not a car that stickers at 44k...
Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Infinite G37S

The whining you are hearing is called "Gear Whine", every car does it, you should have heard my Subaru, sounded like there were cats in my transmission in 1st and 2nd.

The second thing you are hearing is the main shaft front bearing, when the clutch is depressed the transmission is still and the throwout bearing is spinning, with the clutch out you are now spinning the transmission and its the bearings and clutch disk you are hearing spin, its all very normal and seems to be a little louder in the G's.

Relax, everything will be fine!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 AM
G35Tuning

Originally Posted by Infinite G37S
The whining you are hearing is called "Gear Whine", every car does it, you should have heard my Subaru, sounded like there were cats in my transmission in 1st and 2nd.

The second thing you are hearing is the main shaft front bearing, when the clutch is depressed the transmission is still and the throwout bearing is spinning, with the clutch out you are now spinning the transmission and its the bearings and clutch disk you are hearing spin, its all very normal and seems to be a little louder in the G's.

Relax, everything will be fine!

Sounds good...I understand that plenty of manual transmission cars may have that whine but my 6mt G35 coupe never had it...Or I could barely notice it...This one just seems much louder...Anyways, the car is great...Just wanted to be sure I wasn't alone an island with those issues...
Old 05-09-2008, 12:47 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
my g35 had the same issues but only much worse. on hot days, with the clutch out, sitting in neutral, i sounded like sneakers in a dryer.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have both. Sounds perfectly normal to me. I don't think it's anything to worry about at all, it's just the way our car sounds.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:53 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
post updates. if its the transmission, i will go back to the dealership and get that **** fixed, muthafudge told me its not........
quickest way to find out would be to PM him. ill message him soon. his screenname is fattah089

edit: i just hit up his facebook wall ill u know when he gets back 2 me.

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 05-09-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 2 questions about our beloved G37...