G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2nd Gen G35 Engine.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:28 AM
derek

Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperGee
I got a quote from my insurance company and a new G35 coupe would cost me about $25 more per year with the same coverages as my 405 HP (V8) 2002 Z06 Vette. Kind of surprised me since the Vette is a 2 seater and the G35 is a 4 seater.
Suggest an apples to apples comparison. 2006 to 2006, as from an insurance standpoint, their obligation changes over time (for example, vehicle replacement rather than book value in the first year...).

Cheers,
D
Old 08-16-2006, 05:31 PM
SuperGee

Originally Posted by derek
Suggest an apples to apples comparison. 2006 to 2006, as from an insurance standpoint, their obligation changes over time (for example, vehicle replacement rather than book value in the first year...).

Cheers,
D
Can't do the comparison with the 2006 Z06 because is has 505 HP, so now it's a whole different animal.

The insurance premiums really haven't dropped on my Z06 since the day it was new, so I can't really believe insurance companies have changed their obligations much at all based on the age of the vehicle.

In fact, for a sanity check I just got off the phone with my insurance company since I’m now curious about this. I asked what the insurance would be for a brand new 2006 Vette Coupe (400 HP and 2 seats), which would be your “apples to apples” comparison in terms of model year.

Quote was $27 more per year over my 2002 Z06 Vette, which means it would be $2 more per year to insure a new 2006 Vette Coupe as opposed to a new 2006 G35 Coupe with the exact same coverage level (since it was $25/year more for the 06 G35 as opposed to my 2002 Z06).

Hummm ...

Last edited by SuperGee; 08-17-2006 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:53 PM
jdm_inspire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much of the insurance rates are based upon claims and expected payouts. The G is expensive to repair (especially the rear end). Z06s are probably as expensive if not more expensive to fix (re: carbon fiber). However, Z06s are probably the weekend warrior cars whereas the G is a daily driver for many more owners. So ... the actuaries are glorified number crunchers / statisticians so they base rates upon probability and actual claims. I could see why the cost to insure either to be similar.

Going back on-topic ... any new word as to the engine selection in the 2nd gen G?
Old 08-19-2006, 01:32 PM
kraqcommando

Originally Posted by derek
Here's my speculation and observations:

"IMHO:"

VTEC et al is commonplace for these engines today, the bigger deal being when it's on the suck and the blow side of things. 100 hp/L is, without exception, achieved with rpm for NA. Cases in point: 8K/9K S2K engines, 8K M3 engine, 8K GT3 engine... 100 hp/L currently occuring around 7800 rpm. New G, if it gets a 7.5K redline, should be just under that, therefore from a 3.5, expect somewhere around 330 hp, IF they don't detune it for model lifecycle planning purposes. Metals will necessarily change- sodium filled Ti valves is my guess for spinning those kinds of numbers. Rods will change too, I'm guessing.
Judging by the fact that the German mfgs now have it either on the showroom floor, or soon will (335 Coupe), and the fact that Lexus (IS) and Mazda (CX7) have as well, my hunch is that Nissan will have no choice but to follow the DI, or Direct Injection route for our next round of Gs. If not, it's not far off, and may be part of that life cycle plan as well. This won't provide huge power gains on top (expect none actually), but what it will do is expand the envelop, offering more torque and power from 2 to 6K, and thus improving street driveability (I find the sacrifice in torque made to get the extra 20hp between my 03 and 05 has meant that I must work harder to keep the car in the fat part of the powerband).

So to sum up:

500 rpm higher redline necessitating the use of new component metals/materials and direct injection, resulting in an engine providing a broader/flatter spread of torque, and peak hp around 330, for the 6MT coupe (less in the sedan perhaps for corporate political correctness, at least to begin). If it doesn't happen all at once, expect it over the life of the upcoming generation of G.

I suggest that if this isn't the case, then the sport luxury market will have just been handed back to BMW, with the Asian share of that market being handed to Lexus. These new cars will be pivotal for Infiniti. Pheonix from the ashes, the first Gs put the company back on the map; whether it was a "one-off", or the start of something meaningful, will soon be decided.

I think your right on them flatting the power band in the articles released by infiniti, they talked about an acceleration and power that kept on building so, this assumption is spot on with what infiniti is trying to do with its new engine, good call +1, props , well educated
Old 08-23-2006, 03:51 PM
SuperGee

Originally Posted by jdm_inspire
Going back on-topic ... any new word as to the engine selection in the 2nd gen G?
If I was betting, I'd say it's gonna be the same engine being put in the 2007 G35 Sedan -- why would they make a unique engine for the new Coupe. See 2nd paragraph in this link:

http://www.nissannews.com/
Old 08-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperGee
If I was betting, I'd say it's gonna be the same engine being put in the 2007 G35 Sedan -- why would they make a unique engine for the new Coupe. See 2nd paragraph in this link:

http://www.nissannews.com/
I agree that it will probably share the VQ35HR.....however there are still rumours of the new coupe being labled a G37. Time will tell.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by canuck
I agree that it will probably share the VQ35HR.....however there are still rumours of the new coupe being labled a G37. Time will tell.

It won't be labled that unless there is a corresonding bump in displacement too.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:41 PM
PaKmaN

Originally Posted by Crazi4Speed
Who gives a rats @$$ about hp/l its such a retarded way at looking @ the engine..

I think we should get bigger displacement with cylinder shutoff and automatic 1->4 shift skip, this will save gas, give us more tourque and better hp... thats what we want...
Not its not. That's a very important details as far as specs. You must be used to american motors because of what you said.

Look at the viper.. it's 8.0L 500hp V10 lol. That's pathetic when you compare it to a new Ferrari F430. Which has about 480hp I believe and is a 4.3L.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
It won't be labled that unless there is a corresonding bump in displacement too.
That's what I meant, but you said it better.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Mr_Ryte

Originally Posted by RBull
Not necessarily. Remember the 97-01 Q45? It downsized to a 4.1L while still maintaining the Q45 name. Not saying Infiniti will do this again, but nothing is written in stone....
Old 08-26-2006, 11:26 PM
6969g35

my guss on 08 coupe 315-335 hp
0-60 5.2 335hp
Old 11-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Stytch

Originally Posted by jl9618
I think thats what everyone is waiting for... information. So far Nissan has been very tight lipped regarding the new engine. It's been rumored to have displacement increased to 3.7 liters. Until they release specs on the engine and then the car itself, I think that any info regarding modability is purely speculation at best.
ISN'T THE COUPE GONNA BE CALLED THE G 37 THIS GO AROUND???
Old 11-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Stytch

Originally Posted by 6969g35
my guss on 08 coupe 315-335 hp
0-60 5.2 335hp
I HOPE SO BECAUSE THE NEW SEDAN IS PUTTING OUT 307HP
Old 11-18-2006, 12:35 PM
inTgr8r
Proud member of the COFC

Originally Posted by Stytch
ISN'T THE COUPE GONNA BE CALLED THE G 37 THIS GO AROUND???
Originally Posted by Stytch
I HOPE SO BECAUSE THE NEW SEDAN IS PUTTING OUT 307HP
OOOooooo my ears
Don't type so loud
Old 11-18-2006, 01:36 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by Mr_Ryte
Not necessarily. Remember the 97-01 Q45? It downsized to a 4.1L while still maintaining the Q45 name. Not saying Infiniti will do this again, but nothing is written in stone....
You're going to have a hard time living up to your name if you believe the same thing might happen with the G.

Pretty doubtful Infiniti is going to reduce the displacement of the G. The Q would have retained the 45 designation because of it's already low awareness brand identity and because going down in size is not as desirable as going up, from a marketing perspective.

Recent marketing for the new G sedan doesn't even mention the "35" which is possibly a precursor for a displacement bump in the future.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen G35 Engine.