Question about G37S 6MT verts and VDC

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM
id888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about G37S 6MT verts and VDC

Hey y'all. I'm going on my third month with my 6MT vert, and I wanted to confirm some driving impressions. When I am on a dry road, making a 90degree turn in second gear (like from a rolling stop) I often get the VDC light as I give the car some gas. Tires look like they have plenty of tread, and I don't think I am giving the car so much throttle that I deserve the light.

Thoughts?

Maybe the summer tires on the S don't grip well enough in the mild North Carolina winter? Maybe the heavier weight of the vert has something to do with it? Maybe my foot is heavier than I think it is?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Infinitard
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I think it is just normal slippage that you would otherwise never notice if the light wasn't flashing. Same thing happens in my Sedan.

Nothing to be alarmed about, unless you hear or feel something that isn't normal at the same time.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:18 PM
kilya

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just getting some slip man. I get that a lot up here right now in Jersey. Dont worry about it just let the traction control do its thing. That way you dont do any 180s/360s/720s......
Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,594 Likes on 3,439 Posts
AFAIK, there's no VLSD on the 6MT Vert like there is in the 6MT Coupe and 6MT Sedan, but (!!) you've got shorter rear gears to offset the added weight, which is cool. I drove a Vert for a few days some years ago, and it doesn't take much to lose traction. It's a heavy car, and it drives like a heavy car. Also, those OEM Bridgestones... Not so great.

Some aftermarket sway bars would certainly help you out, keeping the car flat in the turns, allowing for better traction.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-06-2014 at 08:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
id888 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 AM
id888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess my problem is that the VDC seems to kick in a bit too early. There's nothing wrong with letting the back end out a little before it reels me in, right . I don't feel like turning off traction control because it will be off during the time that I actually need it.

And yes, the vert is damn heavy. I didn't get a good sense of the difference when I went on my test drives. I know I'm going to love having the top down in summer, but it feels like I'm driving a truck sometimes. A really fast truck, no doubt.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,594 Likes on 3,439 Posts
Originally Posted by id888
I guess my problem is that the VDC seems to kick in a bit too early. There's nothing wrong with letting the back end out a little before it reels me in, right .
There are times when I want to have fun with the car, but TC slaps me back because I forgot to turn it off. That happens to me too, even though I've got sways, Michelin PSS and VLSD. So perhaps what you're feeling is just normal to this car when matched to your preferred driving behavior.

It would be nice if TC had 3 levels of control, rather than just an ON/OFF switch. I can certainly relate to that. I'd leave it on the lowest setting all the time. But that's not the car we own.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Blake008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rochester
There are times when I want to have fun with the car, but TC slaps me back because I forgot to turn it off. That happens to me too, even though I've got sways, Michelin PSS and VLSD. So perhaps what you're feeling is just normal to this car when matched to your preferred driving behavior. It would be nice if TC had 3 levels of control, rather than just an ON/OFF switch. I can certainly relate to that. I'd leave it on the lowest setting all the time. But that's not the car we own.
I wish there were levels as well. It still bugs me a little when I turn my 'verts traction control off and try to have a little fun and it STILL kicks in even though it's off :-/
Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by id888
Hey y'all. I'm going on my third month with my 6MT vert, and I wanted to confirm some driving impressions. When I am on a dry road, making a 90degree turn in second gear (like from a rolling stop) I often get the VDC light as I give the car some gas. Tires look like they have plenty of tread, and I don't think I am giving the car so much throttle that I deserve the light.

Thoughts?

Maybe the summer tires on the S don't grip well enough in the mild North Carolina winter? Maybe the heavier weight of the vert has something to do with it? Maybe my foot is heavier than I think it is?

Thanks.
The summer tires on a road that is less than 40*F will certainly create an interesting ride - especially around 90* curves in a low gear with the foot into the fun pedal. FYI - The Vert does not have LSD either so a right hander will be more exciting than a left...
Old 03-11-2014, 05:55 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
There is a thread on here about a mod that will allow you to completely kill the VDC when you hit the switch. It doesn't seem like a hard mod just alittle wiring. I won't do it since I know I'd end up screwing something up. I break traction regularly going into sharp turns. I've kinda made a game out of trying to get the VDC light to pop ON while driving "normally". LOL