Top is stuck mid-cycle!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Rpeif20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top is stuck mid-cycle!

Looking for advice from anyone on how to get the top to close again so I can drive it to a dealer for troubleshooting. Last evening I was opening the top and I stopped a couple times in mid cycle. Now, it's stuck with the roof panels down in the trunk but the black cover is still vertical and the trunklid is hanging out the back. I tried doing the initialization process described in the manual, but that doesn't work.... I don't get the beep when holding down the "open" button. Now, I get the double beeps every few seconds for several minutes after each attempt to close it. I know I need to get it to the dealer but I don't want to have it hauled on a flatbed because the driver probably isn't going to want to drive under 20mph to keep the wind resistance to a minimum on the vertical cover and trunk lid. If I can't get the top closed, I guess I'll have to drive it there myself (slowly). I have waited a few hours between attempts so I know it is not an issue of not giving it enough time to reset itself. Are these tops that sensitive to being stopped in midstream? If so, there should be warnings in the manual... this is crazy. I just bought the car a month ago and am not happy about having this problem the first time I open it. I did check it out at the dealer when I took delivery, so I know it was working then. Russ
Old 03-12-2014, 02:08 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Reset your ECU. Instructions on youtube or via the search function here on the forum.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Rpeif20

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Reset your ECU. Instructions on youtube or via the search function here on the forum.
Thanks... I'll check it out.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:08 AM
colnajoe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rpeif20
Looking for advice from anyone on how to get the top to close again so I can drive it to a dealer for troubleshooting. Last evening I was opening the top and I stopped a couple times in mid cycle. Now, it's stuck with the roof panels down in the trunk but the black cover is still vertical and the trunklid is hanging out the back. I tried doing the initialization process described in the manual, but that doesn't work.... I don't get the beep when holding down the "open" button. Now, I get the double beeps every few seconds for several minutes after each attempt to close it. I know I need to get it to the dealer but I don't want to have it hauled on a flatbed because the driver probably isn't going to want to drive under 20mph to keep the wind resistance to a minimum on the vertical cover and trunk lid. If I can't get the top closed, I guess I'll have to drive it there myself (slowly). I have waited a few hours between attempts so I know it is not an issue of not giving it enough time to reset itself. Are these tops that sensitive to being stopped in midstream? If so, there should be warnings in the manual... this is crazy. I just bought the car a month ago and am not happy about having this problem the first time I open it. I did check it out at the dealer when I took delivery, so I know it was working then. Russ
I had to have mine flat bedded in to the shop backwards, because I stopped mine with the top half way to lube the seals. I turned the engine off to take pics.... huge mistake. All the way up, all the way down
Attached Thumbnails Top is stuck mid-cycle!-forumrunner_20140313_020524.jpg   Top is stuck mid-cycle!-forumrunner_20140313_020557.jpg   Top is stuck mid-cycle!-forumrunner_20140313_020624.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Rpeif20

Originally Posted by colnajoe
I had to have mine flat bedded in to the shop backwards, because I stopped mine with the top half way to lube the seals. I turned the engine off to take pics.... huge mistake. All the way up, all the way down
I will definitely remember that from now on. Fortunately, I didn't have to have it towed or drive it with the top open. I put the OBD tool on it and cleared the codes which let the top close back up again. Thanks to gofightnguyen for the idea.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Glad you got it worked out and no roof dings!