Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Oh, just say it:
Porsche Doppelkupplung
I can barely say Porsche
Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Doc750

I think I have the porsche bug now as well. I keep finding myself on cars.com looking for deals.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 PM
NewGMan

Passed on second car now. The hunt continues.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:51 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NewGMan
Passed on second car now. The hunt continues.
Sorry to hear but not terribly surprised. QUALITY late model used 997 turbos are a rare breed. Have you considered buying new?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 AM
winkerbean

Bought it. Made a really good deal (I think...).

You are right about PDK, car drives like nothing I have driven before, absolutely sick fast, but also docile when driving normally.

Launch control is amazing, just make sure you have your head against the seat back when you do it, or it could actually snap your neck. Just put the car in Sport Plus, Push the brake down hard, floor the accelerator and when Launch pops up in the display just release the brake and the car launches.
I thought you already pulled the trigger on this one? What's the story behind that fall through?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 PM
NewGMan

Originally Posted by bschurr
Sorry to hear but not terribly surprised. QUALITY late model used 997 turbos are a rare breed. Have you considered buying new?
Considered new, but depreciation, while not horrendous on 911 TTs, adds up to more cash. Based on my analysis of 911 TTs for sale depreciation averages about 17% per year for first 2 years. On a new TT that means almost $60k in depreciation in first 2 years, and $65k over 3 years, so if I keep the car for 3 years that means depreciation would cost me about $1800 per month alone, and if I include some interest that gets it into the $2k per month range. If I buy a 2 year old 911 TT depreciation would only cost $20k over 3 years roughly, which means only $556 per month. So even if you over pay slightly for a really clean car that has low miles and is 2 years old, it still financially works out to be a much better deal. Helping this is the 911s don't change much year to year, unless I wait for 991, which then would have even higher numbers compared to above analysis.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:18 PM
NewGMan

Originally Posted by winkerbean
I thought you already pulled the trigger on this one? What's the story behind that fall through?
Just too many small cosmetic issues for me. Somehow the interior got scratches on the center console since my last test drive and they tried to touch it up with black paint, which didn't quite match. Also there were some known issues like stone chips on hood (which they were supposed to remedy but had not done yet and when going over it again I am sure would need a respray of the hood) and scratches on the painted seat backs. I could have accepted it all and had it fixed, but just didn't want to buy the car and immediately have to put money into it for repairs. They were not interested in negotiating further, which was fine.

Mechanically it was a good car, and if someone does not mind cosmetic issues (to some which would be minimal) it was a good deal. In the end the console being scratched up just put me off the car in addition to other cosmetic issues.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:23 PM
NewGMan

To further add to this off topic thread I decided to test drive this yesterday

Awesome looking, not quite the performance of the 911 TT and R Tronic transmission is a bit clunky in around town driving.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Bought it. Made a really good deal (I think...).

You are right about PDK, car drives like nothing I have driven before, absolutely sick fast, but also docile when driving normally.

Launch control is amazing, just make sure you have your head against the seat back when you do it, or it could actually snap your neck. Just put the car in Sport Plus, Push the brake down hard, floor the accelerator and when Launch pops up in the display just release the brake and the car launches.
Nice! congrats more pictures please.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM
NewGMan

OK bought the R8 today. Got a pretty good price and car is amazing. Not as fast as the PDK 911 Turbo, but pretty fast (0-60 ~ 4 sec) and looks gorgeous.

Will still have my G for a couple of more months unless I turn it in early.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:39 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
interesting choice - Congrats!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM
NewGMan

Originally Posted by bschurr
interesting choice - Congrats!
Not sure how to take that

Probably see you on the P-Car boards in a couple of years. Wanted a little more flash for now.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:20 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Cool car just soft tops don't do it or me. Looks way better as a hardtop.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 AM
NewGMan

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Cool car just soft tops don't do it or me. Looks way better as a hardtop.
Generally agree but you have to see this one in person.

Also compared to G this car has a much stiffer chassis, hugely noticeable over railway tracks near my house where G doors rattle against the chassis, and in the Audi, nothing. Interestingly though ride quality in standard suspension mode is actually more compliant than the G as well, in Sport mode the ride is stiffer though as one might expect.

Quick Reply: Possible Replacement for my 2010 G37 Vert