My MODeSt Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Dejan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My MODeSt Thread

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I guess I was the last one to order the OEM Spoiler from imstricken before he got himself banned. It arrived few days back, correct color and model - K23 Liquid Platinum with Nav.

Now, I am no DIY expert (my biggest DIY project to date was changing the bulbs...no, not on headlights, in my house), so it took me almost 3 hours, but I did it!

I must say that it looks even better in person than on pics. Original spoiler makes the rear end look tall and narrow. With this one, car looks wide and lower, so I am very very pleased! Color is an exact match and so are the connectors for rear camera, GPS antenna, FM antenna and the Stop Light. And that silly antenna is now gone!

Installation was not too difficult, although I had a few major fights with hole saw, and lost most of them. Fitment was the easiest part - it is an OEM spoiler, so everything aligned perfectly. As long as you drill the screw holes in exactly the right place, it just pops in right where it should be, and I am pretty sure that it won't warp as there is nothing pushing it sideways.

Next.. LED Mirror Covers with LED turn signal behind the mirror glass.

Last edited by Dejan; 04-09-2011 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Added Pics
Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Very nice! Congrats on the install. Hopefully you now have more confidence in your skills and will do more, and more and more... The mod bug is certainly contagous!

But...
Old 04-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Dejan

LOL, I know...pics first thing in the morning! As for my skills, I am VERY lucky that spoiler is wide enough to hide few serous scratches when hole saw decided to take a walk around the hole....

Next few mods will be easier as there will be no drilling involved, but I'll have to remove door trim, take mirrors apart and do some electrical wiring.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dejan
LOL, I know...pics first thing in the morning! As for my skills, I am VERY lucky that spoiler is wide enough to hide few serous scratches when hole saw decided to take a walk around the hole....

Next few mods will be easier as there will be no drilling involved, but I'll have to remove door trim, take mirrors apart and do some electrical wiring.
Congrats on your spoiler install (not the toughest of DYI, but drilling those end holes thru the trunk can sweat the best ... :>!).hope you didn't walk the drill too much.. Once you do it right you feel it's your car for good for a long while.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dejan
I am VERY lucky that spoiler is wide enough to hide few serous scratches when hole saw decided to take a walk around the hole....
It's a tough lesson to learn but, all metal drilling should begin with a center punch and you should start with a small pilot hole & work up to the finished diameter in steps (or use a tapered bit).

I hope you covered the scratches with clear nail polish or primer or rust inhibitor to prevent any rust in the future...
Old 04-08-2011, 11:23 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bschurr
It's a tough lesson to learn but, all metal drilling should begin with a center punch and you should start with a small pilot hole & work up to the finished diameter in steps (or use a tapered bit).

I hope you covered the scratches with clear nail polish or primer or rust inhibitor to prevent any rust in the future...
Good basic advise...
Old 04-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Dejan

day before install, I went to Ace Hardware, got a shiny new Center Punch, Cobalt Drill Bits, brand new Hole Saws etc. Unfortunately, the 1/8" bit that I was using for pilot holes and to guide the hole saw broke just before having to do end holes....it was almost dark, possibility of rain, so I had to improvise and finish quickly. Next time...anything that can break will have a spare, just in case.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:55 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

glad you like it my friend. good working with you
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Dejan

Likewise Iamstricken. Being so far makes it tough but you were patient, flexible and understanding, so you made a potentially bad experience very pleasant. If you have any other good deals, make sure to let me know - mod bug has bit me!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

i sent you a friends request. add me up, and if anything comes across ill let you know
Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Dejan

Done, I accepted your request