how do i get a spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Poe408

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how do i get a spare tire?

my 2010 convertible didn't come with the spare tire package. my salesman told me that i'd be able to buy it separately after buying the car. i've asked a couple of dealers in the area and nobody seems to know what i'm talking about. i've gotten quotes ranging from $250-380 for JUST the tools, not the spare tire.

what i'm interested in is the $150 "spare tire package" that shows up as an option when you do "build your g convertible" on the infiniti website. the spare tire package listed on the website says it comes with a spare tire and jack. it also mentions that it replaces the "tire repair kit."

so since it seems like the dealers here are idiots, how do i get a spare tire package?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:01 PM
DmfG37sTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay
Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Poe408
my 2010 convertible didn't come with the spare tire package. my salesman told me that i'd be able to buy it separately after buying the car. i've asked a couple of dealers in the area and nobody seems to know what i'm talking about. i've gotten quotes ranging from $250-380 for JUST the tools, not the spare tire.

what i'm interested in is the $150 "spare tire package" that shows up as an option when you do "build your g convertible" on the infiniti website. the spare tire package listed on the website says it comes with a spare tire and jack. it also mentions that it replaces the "tire repair kit."

so since it seems like the dealers here are idiots, how do i get a spare tire package?
I got a guy in NJ that will take care of you or a dealership in the DC area that can help - and there is Beshoff or Grubbs Infifniti that are each sponsors (I think) of this forum that should be able to provide correct information.

Where are you located?
-B
Old 08-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Poe408

i'm in southern california. unfortunately, the dealers here aren't as helpful as the ones near you.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Brian@Beshoff
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Poe408

Unfortunately the option price is much less than purchasing the parts individually to build the option after production. They do not offer it as kit form. Oddly, we actually had a customer request the spare be removed because she didn't want to pay for the option and it was part of the original build sheet.

email Andy our parts manager at a.ersinger@beshoffinfiniti.com and he can hook you up. Or call him at (408) 531-3028. Hope this helps
Brian
Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian@Beshoff
Unfortunately the option price is much less than purchasing the parts individually to build the option after production. They do not offer it as kit form. Oddly, we actually had a customer request the spare be removed because she didn't want to pay for the option and it was part of the original build sheet.

email Andy our parts manager at a.ersinger@beshoffinfiniti.com and he can hook you up. Or call him at (408) 531-3028. Hope this helps
Brian
See Poe - that was easy.
What a great community.
Thanks Brian!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by bschurr
See Poe - that was easy.
What a great community.
Thanks
Hey B

I bought my car from these guys... have/had some experience dealing with them.. hope they have improved since then.

I get my Infiniti parts else where and I have sent PM to Poe.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Beer Magazine

The spare comes delivered with road side assistance.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
The spare comes delivered with road side assistance.
This is info could/can not be verified by calling Infiniti Roadside Assistance, what operator at Infiniti Roadside Assistance told me that if tire can not be fixed by road side assistant , he/she will tow the car to nearest dealer or contracted garage get it fixed/replaced.

Please can you provide the source of your statement... Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM
katfish711

Well I just talked to Andy and he said he was ordering the kit and tire needed.

I asked if he could confirm two things for me:
1) Is the tire a "3rd" size (vs. front and rear tire sizes)??? i.e. some sort of emergency "donut" size tire?
2) Will it fit in the stowage space beneath where the top stores?

Andy says the answer is "Yes" to both of these questions.

If anybody on the list has first hand experience and can confirm/refute this info, I would appreciate it!

Says he has to order the tire separately from the spare kit but that they would mount it for me. Says he will call me when the parts come in. I'll post back again once they give me the financial damage...
Old 08-17-2010, 12:46 PM
cvipgo
Banned

The spare can be used in front or the rear (limited miles) and the spare kit does fit in the trunk stowage space, dealer has to adjust stowage space a bit.
Great Andy came thru...
Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 PM
katfish711

Originally Posted by cvipgo
<snip> ...dealer has to adjust stowage space a bit...
Thanks for the confirmation on the spare wheel fitting front AND rear!

I am really curious about that last comment you make, though... Does the dealer actually have to cut or modify the stowage space in some way for it to fit???

Anybody know if this "adjustment" to the stowage space is a DIY project or is this better left to the dealer???

My inclination is to just get my dealer to handle it but... they are the ones that originally told me that no spare was available.

I was really hoping this was just a "buy it and throw it in the stow space" kind of solution. Hate to spend that much money only to find out it won't fit unless I break out a cutting torch!!! :-D

UPDATE: My charges for the spare tire kit (and the rubber tire itself) came to $619.70 including CA sales tax and shipping. This supposedly includes a discount Andy gave me for being a member of the G35/37 forums.

Clearly this is some expensive additional insurance considering the roadside assistance that Infiniti provides automatically. My rationalization of the expense is that it will pay for itself if even once I get stuck with a flat in an area where buying a replacement tire is for any reason challenging. I would still likely use the roadside assistance to change the flat and put on the emergency spare. I expect Infiniti still recommends that you only drive 50 or fewer miles and only at something like 40 mph but at least I won't be stuck riding shotgun in a tow truck to some crazy stealership or backwater indy shop. I will update again once I take delivery on the stuff and check how it fits into the stowage space under the "trunk".

Last edited by katfish711; 08-25-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Update
Old 08-26-2010, 04:52 PM
katfish711

Spare showed up today and... wow.

I expected an ugly, bare metal rim to hold the typical temporary tire.

What I got was a very sexy, glossy black (I'm pretty sure it's just painted as opposed to PC, cuz the back side is bare metal) Enkei rim with an 18" temporary use tire mounted.

A quick test fit into the stowage space already has me thinking I may drive it over to dealer for final fitting. I will look closer at it when I get home but just setting it in place causes the stowage cover to sit lopsided on top of the spare. Obviously, that has me feeling uncomfortable about trying to lower the top while it is sitting in there like that.

Hoping it is something simple that I just haven't noticed yet.

I will post another update once I have it all installed properly. I just wanted to relate the info about the quality of the parts since most people (myself included) felt a bit raped by the price from Infiniti.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:57 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I know it's late, but for anyone else looking at this route, check your local junkyard or car-parts.com. I got mine from a junkyard somewhere in the east coast, $150 delivered to my door and it was literally brand new.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:31 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by katfish711
Thanks for the confirmation on the spare wheel fitting front AND rear!

I am really curious about that last comment you make, though... Does the dealer actually have to cut or modify the stowage space in some way for it to fit???

Anybody know if this "adjustment" to the stowage space is a DIY project or is this better left to the dealer???

My inclination is to just get my dealer to handle it but... they are the ones that originally told me that no spare was available.

I was really hoping this was just a "buy it and throw it in the stow space" kind of solution. Hate to spend that much money only to find out it won't fit unless I break out a cutting torch!!! :-D

UPDATE: My charges for the spare tire kit (and the rubber tire itself) came to $619.70 including CA sales tax and shipping. This supposedly includes a discount Andy gave me for being a member of the G35/37 forums.

Clearly this is some expensive additional insurance considering the roadside assistance that Infiniti provides automatically. My rationalization of the expense is that it will pay for itself if even once I get stuck with a flat in an area where buying a replacement tire is for any reason challenging. I would still likely use the roadside assistance to change the flat and put on the emergency spare. I expect Infiniti still recommends that you only drive 50 or fewer miles and only at something like 40 mph but at least I won't be stuck riding shotgun in a tow truck to some crazy stealership or backwater indy shop. I will update again once I take delivery on the stuff and check how it fits into the stowage space under the "trunk".
How many flats you had in last 12 months?

and "spare tire kit (and the rubber tire itself) came to $619.70 " I think it's the dealer not Infiniti IMHO.

Quick Reply: how do i get a spare tire?