how do i get a spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM
katfish711

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cvipgo
How many flats you had in last 12 months?

and "spare tire kit (and the rubber tire itself) came to $619.70 " I think it's the dealer not Infiniti IMHO.
Actually, the 170+ mile roundtrip I make most days has graced me with the good fortune of two flats within the last 6 months. One in my car and one in a carpool buddy's.

Now you might argue that statistics favor better luck moving forward but I would point to the fact that the stretch of the 101 freeway I travel is simply worse than most regarding debris, nails, serious potholes, etc. It is so bad that I have the driving line memorized to avoid the worst down to not just which lane but precisely where within a given lane I need to be for smoothest roadway surface.

I totally understand the comment about price. And I did give brief thought to calling a junkyard or two but I was impatient and wanted to be sure I had the exact parts blessed by Infiniti. The dealership I bought from simply didn't seem to know what was required. :-/

It might be true that I was "gouged". I suppose I thought a sponsor here was likely to be giving me at least a fair shake...

Bottom line, to each his/her own. I will feel like this pays for itself even if I only ever needed it once. Having some way to drive my own car immediately after an incident is simply that valuable to me. Not saying it would be for everybody.

Last edited by katfish711; 08-27-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
bulldog2

Don't have a spare tire--get one!

DW had a sudden loss of tire presure (not a blow out but close) on the freeway yesterday evening on the way home from work. She called roadside assistance at 1809 and was told someone would be there in a half hour. She called me and I went to set with her and wait. At 1830 she received an automated message stating a tow truck would be there within 30 minutes. At 1915 I called and was told the truck would be there within 30 minutes. At 2000 I called and was told the truck would be there within 30 minutes or they could cancel the truck and call a different company would could be there in 60 minutes...I think you get the picture. After almost three hours a tow truck arrived.

Lessons learned: First, if the hole in your tire is greater than .16" or 4mm the tire repair kit will not work. Second, if you use the repair kit you must replace the tire sensor/tire. Third, Infinity has no standard for how long their customers are expected to wait for roadside assistance. Fourth, Infinity should be ashamed to sell a 52K without a spare and I am an idiot for buying a 52K car without a spare. Fifth, Infiniti Corporate customer service is a joke...don't believe the hype. The service rep first told me that Infiniti would not sell a car without a spare tire, discovered they did, and told me I should have bought the option.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bulldog2
DW had a sudden loss of tire presure (not a blow out but close) on the freeway yesterday evening on the way home from work. She called roadside assistance at 1809 and was told someone would be there in a half hour. She called me and I went to set with her and wait. At 1830 she received an automated message stating a tow truck would be there within 30 minutes. At 1915 I called and was told the truck would be there within 30 minutes. At 2000 I called and was told the truck would be there within 30 minutes or they could cancel the truck and call a different company would could be there in 60 minutes...I think you get the picture. After almost three hours a tow truck arrived.

Lessons learned: First, if the hole in your tire is greater than .16" or 4mm the tire repair kit will not work. Second, if you use the repair kit you must replace the tire sensor/tire. Third, Infinity has no standard for how long their customers are expected to wait for roadside assistance. Fourth, Infinity should be ashamed to sell a 52K without a spare and I am an idiot for buying a 52K car without a spare. Fifth, Infiniti Corporate customer service is a joke...don't believe the hype. The service rep first told me that Infiniti would not sell a car without a spare tire, discovered they did, and told me I should have bought the option.
Real unfortunate experience, by the way are you related to uncle Murphy?... man that's why you have AAA as second backup, what if the spare was flat too..How many times people check the air on their spare? Having spare sounds good but, I bet 1 in 10 check their spares even if they have it. I have used my spare once in 7 years and that too had no air, on my G35 coupe, so I called AAA... but I agree that Infiniti should provide better road service than you got.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM
katfish711

As I drove to work this morning I saw three vehicles along my route that each were on the side of the road with a flat.

One poor guy was in a Beemer 5 series and had actually lost his entire rear driver's side wheel! I saw his wheel sitting on the side of the highway nearly an 1/8 of a mile further up the road. Man, I bet his morning got off to a terrible start, eh?

Stories like bulldog's sure do reaffirm my choice to bend over and buy the spare! I figure even if I do get timely roadside service, I'd still rather be able to drive away after they change the tire for me...
Old 09-09-2010, 04:24 PM
bulldog2

Just picked up the car from my local dealer. The dealer was actually very supportive and agreed that Infiniti's Roadside Assistance screwed up. They are absorbing some of the cost to retrofit the car to receive the spare. Parts will be in soon and while we wait I will drive the car so at least I and not the wife will be the one stranded after dark if Murphy strikes again.

While I was at the dealer I noticed a 2010 in the showroom with the spare tire kit installed...sticker price $150. I recommend anyone purchasing new should demand this factory installed option or walk away. You can always take it out of the car if you don't want it but if you change your mind it costs $675 for the dealer to retrofit and install.

Luckily, my local dealer lowered my cost considerably. Still much more than $150.

Spare tire flat = shame on me
Infiniti sells a 52K car without one = shame on them
Someone buys a 52K car without one = Idiot like me
Old 09-09-2010, 06:53 PM
katfish711

I do have to admit that I suffered a little embarrassment the first time the question about the spare came up when showing off my new car to friends and family.

It only takes one ride with the top down, listening to our kitten purring and then growling away under the hood for most to agree that the lack of an included spare is a pretty minor issue (and resolvable if it matters to you). :-)

No need to feel like an idiot bulldog. Drive your baby with pride! (but maybe consider a AAA membership!)
Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 PM
stevelam

what size is the spare tire is it a 19 inch or 18?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:03 AM
bulldog2

Agree, driving the car is fun and the issue is resolvable. Still believe that at the price point the vehicle should come equipped with a spare from the factory. Let the customer decide if they want to take it out vice pay $500+ more dollars to retrofit than the $150factory retail price.

Infiniti roadside assistance is the same as AAA. My salesman told me that yesterday. Wrecker that eventually showed up was also a AAA roadside assistance vehicle. Infiniti subs out a call center to call a contracted wrecker...nothing more. Only difference that I could tell was they would tow to the closest Infiniti dealer eventhough there are several options closer.

Spare will be 18" but I suppose if you had 19" wheels they would order it instead...not sure the price difference if any.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 AM
cvipgo
Banned

In the owner's manual the spare wheel size is 18 × 4T and the tire size is T145/70R18, listed for both 18s and 19s.

Last edited by cvipgo; 09-10-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My 2007 Volvo S80 didn't come with a spare tire either so I am accustomed to dealing with this. I haven't gotta a flat in either vehicle so it has not been an issue yet <knocking on wood> and each car has roadside assistance & I am an AAA gold member just in case.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 PM
katfish711

The spare is indeed an 18" even if you are running the 19" Sport package wheels.

Guess that means you really have to know that when they call it a "temporary" tire, they truly mean it.

Can't be good for the rest of your tires to be running an 18 incher mixed in with three 19" wheels. Handling prolly gets real interesting too...

Still rather be able to "limp" my baby to where I can get a tire myself rather than be at the mercy of the tow truck.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 PM
katfish711

I just wanted to post and mention that Andy at Beshoff Infiniti was a great help in sourcing my spare kit and getting it to me prepped and ready to install. Had a slight hiccup but he took care of it promptly at no further expense to me. I was pleased with the way he worked with me. He certainly seems more informed about my car than my own dealer was... :-/ Anyway, since I think they are a sponsor thought I should give them props where they were due.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 PM
psdenno
Registered Member

Anyone try to put a rear wheel with flat tire in the trunk after installing the spare? Not a lot of room. I am spareless and looking.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 PM
cvipgo
Banned

there's is the dilemma of having a spare tire... where to put the removed front or rear wheel....
Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cvipgo
there's is the dilemma of having a spare tire... where to put the removed front or rear wheel....
Front or rear seat... <silly>

Quick Reply: how do i get a spare tire?