Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:15 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
So if thats a new concept, then what the hell is this?? >>

Infiniti reportedly registers JX nameplate for trademark — Autoblog
What do you mean? One article is about the Etheria teaser and the other article is about the JX name.

The white "concept' is just a mashup Motor Trend made up themselves for the article. The photo in the JX article is of a M56 trunk, as mentioned below the photo.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
What do you mean? One article is about the Etheria teaser and the other article is about the JX name.

The white "concept' is just a mashup Motor Trend made up themselves for the article. The photo in the JX article is of a M56 trunk, as mentioned below the photo.
I'm not talking about the photoshopped concept thing. The JX is supposed to be a new model, nothing to do with the M56. The M56 in the pic has nothing to do with the subject. what I'm saying is, if Infiniti just registered the JX name, then does that mean there's two new models coming out in the future?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

I'm not talking about the photoshopped concept thing. The JX is supposed to be a new model, nothing to do with the M56. The M56 in the pic has nothing to do with the subject. what I'm saying is, if Infiniti just registered the JX name, then does that mean there's two new models coming out in the future?
No, there's just one. Why do you think there's two? Etheria is just the concept name, just like the "Infiniti Sports Coupe" concept became the G37 Coupe. The names applied to concept vehicles are not the production names so the Etheria will most likely be called the JX when it goes into production.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Infiniti is very hush about their future models to be released to the public for any sketches or info... which is a good thing i suppose to keep the suspense
Old 02-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Q8y_drifter

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
No, there's just one. Why do you think there's two? Etheria is just the concept name, just like the "Infiniti Sports Coupe" concept became the G37 Coupe. The names applied to concept vehicles are not the production names so the Etheria will most likely be called the JX when it goes into production.
I realize that and that's what i'm saying. The JX refers to an AWD model, and the Nissan Juke comes in AWD, therefore if this is the Infiniti version of a Juke based car or any other small AWD car for that matter, then it could possible be the same car in both news announcements. However, since this one is considered a coupe then it might be a different model which would make 2 future models << That is what I've been trying to ask.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

I realize that and that's what i'm saying. The JX refers to an AWD model, and the Nissan Juke comes in AWD, therefore if this is the Infiniti version of a Juke based car or any other small AWD car for that matter, then it could possible be the same car in both news announcements. However, since this one is considered a coupe then it might be a different model which would make 2 future models << That is what I've been trying to ask.
In Japan the Nissan Tiida/Versa is sold with an AWD option. Since this new car is based on the Nissan Tiida/Versa I imagine it'll have AWD standard. That would meet the "X" requirement in the name.

It's a coupe, but the cars it's based on are all hatchbacks. I imagine it'll be a "coupe" like the BMW M Coupe.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Q8y_drifter

"Here’s your first look at the new Infiniti concept vehicle, ETHEREA! ETHEREA is a compact luxury model that embodies an evolving Infiniti identity and features a profile distinctly different from anything currently available in the premium compact class."

Infiniti’s new Etherea concept for the Geneva show previews a stylish new front-drive coupe-hatchback that will go into production in 2014.
It borrows styling cues from the firm’s previous Essence concept – including its crescent C-pillars – while its new front and rear light designs preview Infiniti’s new design language that is set to appear on its next range of G-series models.
Infiniti says the new car is “a new type of luxury for younger buyers”. “It is not just a smaller version of a typically conservative and traditional luxury car,” said Infiniti’s global business unit chief Toru Saito.
The highly stylised concept is 4.4m long and Infiniti says it blends qualities of coupe, saloon, hatchback and crossover – thanks to its raised ride height and large carbonfibre-trimmed alloys - in “one highly sculptural, near-mono volume form”. The hi-tech Etherea will feature quality Japanese materials and finishes in its interior.
The badge on the side of the car reveals it be a hybrid, which Autocar has previously learned from sources in Japan a four-cylinder petrol-electric drivetrain with hybrid technology borrowed from the firm’s new M35h. The production version is likely to be offered with turbocharged four-cylinder engines from Mercedes.
The production Etherea is likely to be based on the Renault-Nissan’s new C-platform that will underpin around 1.5 million cars per year across the Alliance, including the next Megane.
Infiniti says the “practical” concept features “a new mechanical layout”. It also says there are “innovative access arrangements”, which suggests the doors could be rear hinged with access only from the inside.
An insider says the Etherea is not destined for production until 2014 at the earliest, a year after Infiniti launches its own luxury electric car based on the Nissan Leaf.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=255436

Last edited by Q8y_drifter; 02-14-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

The Tiida on which the Etheria is based uses electric motors to power the rear wheels for its AWD system. I wonder if that's what they mean by a "new mechanical arrangement". That would also make it a hybrid.

The illuminated front grill is an interesting feature.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 02-14-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:24 PM
SCBLKG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It kind of looks like Honda's CRX Or sport Hybird looking thing
Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 PM
G35sportsedan

I should design cars for infiniti
Old 02-20-2011, 03:50 PM
baileyrx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i like the front, but not the rear end...
Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 PM
4drScreamer

I just don't get this crossover business. Are they realy that popular? Is this just another fad? What is the market sector for these? They are difficult to see out the back end of, serious blind spots on the sides, and I don't get how the weight balance results in any performance benefit.

How is this so different from an EX or FX? More car-like? It's like a pregnant Z4 that's half asleep and just ran into a wall.

Are they using cameras now for side view mirrors? The rear almost looks like it could be going forwards with those tail lights. Can't they get rid of the dam chrome lip in the back? Has this become such a symbol of Infiniti that it has to be tacked on to all their models now?

Not to mention that the front and rear from the side looks like the were cut off!

OK, now that I am done ripping this, I guess I should say that I realize this is a concept and they rarely make it into production. I applaud Infiniti for testing out new ideas and hopefully some of the technical improvements will make it into future models.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tell me these guys aren't on the new G design team as well...