Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

7 speed auto for 2009 model?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Achilles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MadLove
Would have been nice if they told you a guesstimate time-frame for when Infiniti might be ready...

I'll contact them again to see if they have an estimate, "ball-park" date. I'll post what I get from them.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 AM
msb3079

it better be good changes if they are waiting this freaking long.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
G37-Forever

Does anyone know when Infiniti consumer affairs plans to release '09 confirmed info?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:46 PM
MadLove

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Between the 370Z announcement, which says it will go on sale in the UK "early next year" and then this other thing I just read, talking about a new G37 with a 7AT option that will go "on sale" in the UK starting April 2009 (both news-bits came out on 5/21), I'm starting to think a 7AT for the US '09 isn't in the plans.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...f_shadows.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...initi_g37.html

Or are new car features usually rolled out here first? Any thoughts?

Last edited by MadLove; 05-23-2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 05-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Jacop1130

oh you've gotta be ****ting me. They better have a 7 speed auto for the 09 model. And it better come
out soon
Old 05-24-2008, 05:39 PM
theslik1

Originally Posted by Jacop1130
oh you've gotta be ****ting me. They better have a 7 speed auto for the 09 model. And it better come
out soon
I tend to agree, and it isn't so much that the 7AT is the holy grail, but the current 5-spd is completely outclassed by BMW's ZF Steptronic. Infiniti got caught with their pants down and need to catch up NOW. A true highway gear isn't too much to ask...the engine has enough torque for lower rev cruising.

If they get the 7AT for MY2009, my purchase decision is made.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:30 PM
G37-Forever

I still think it is more than likely that the G37 will get the 7AT for '09, I am sure they have already purchased thousands of the new transmissions from Jatco (suppliers always give better deals for bulk buys) and since many of the Infiniti's share the same platform, all they would need to do is drop the new ones in with an updated ECU. I really don't think any special reverse engineering is necessary. The fact that the entirely new convertible will be released in '09 seems strengthen the fact that they will come (Why release a new model with an outdating 5AT?) Whether or not it will delay the release date no one knows for sure
Old 05-24-2008, 06:52 PM
MadLove

Originally Posted by theslik1
I tend to agree, and it isn't so much that the 7AT is the holy grail, but the current 5-spd is completely outclassed by BMW's ZF Steptronic. Infiniti got caught with their pants down and need to catch up NOW. A true highway gear isn't too much to ask...the engine has enough torque for lower rev cruising.

My heart has been dead-set on the G37 for over a month now - but finding myself caught between model years, waiting on an announcement that may or may not speak to possible improvements, has opened the door to second-guessing on my part. Unlike a lot of people, I happen to think the 335i looks sweet (A5 is sick as well)... but I'm still hot for the G - and a 7AT announcement would seal the deal immediately. Until then, I don't mind looking at pics of the 335 and A5 while I wait... hey, it's not cheating if you look but don't touch.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:49 PM
kg37

Originally Posted by theslik1

+1. The transmission on the BMW (335i) is better as soon as it's starts going through it's gears. I was very surprised actually that Infiniti released the 5AT in a time where MOST auto's are 6 and 7 speeds!! Even the ford fusion has a 6 Speed auto! The 5AT is great and everything but come on Infiniti, keep up with the times.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:13 PM
rrrevin

Originally Posted by Taktix1
wow...i'm pissed. 3 months into ownership and a 7sp auto comes...nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Wow.. you must HATE buying a new computer..
Old 05-25-2008, 01:19 PM
rrrevin

Originally Posted by Achilles
Personally, I'd hope that they also fix the soft paint issue with the G. Maybe the self healing paint or at least a protective coating in addition to the possible 7AT.... SOMETHING!!!!
They have:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080226....upe-for-europe

An adaptive front-light system (AFS) and “Scratch Shield” self healing paint are also standard. Bi-Xenon headlamps are linked to steering inputs and automatically follow the path of the front wheels to provide a wide spread of light around corners and on winding roads. “Scratch Shield” paint incorporates a special highly elastic resin within the conventional clearcoat to increase the paint’s flexibility. A car painted as such can exhibit up to five times fewer scratches that a conventional clearcoat when exposed to the same conditions.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by rrrevin
Wow.. you must HATE buying a new computer..
not at all. I work in the computer field. but how the hell do you compare a 1k computer to a 45k car? of course spending that much on a car and after 5-6 months a significant change comes around is a different feeling than when computer tech changes.....nice try though.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Keng

Originally Posted by Taktix1
not at all. I work in the computer field. but how the hell do you compare a 1k computer to a 45k car? of course spending that much on a car and after 5-6 months a significant change comes around is a different feeling than when computer tech changes.....nice try though.
Better things always comes in the future, I don't see how that comparison doesn't work
Old 05-25-2008, 05:19 PM
MadLove

Originally Posted by Keng
Better things always comes in the future, I don't see how that comparison doesn't work
something as major as a 7AT upgrade (for a first-year model) along with other improvements can be compared to a dual-core vs. quad-core buying decision... if you are in the market for a new higher-end PC with multi-tasking and/or graphics-intensive requirements and, say, the first quad-core chip is 3-4 months away from being released - one would be a fool not to wait for the quad, no? In my estimation, a 7AT would be quicker and more efficient than a 5AT... this, in addition to smoothed-out kinks from the inaugural year model, make waiting (as excruciating as it is) a smart decision.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by Keng
my point was, you guys are comparing a computer system to a car. a computer system costs MUCH less than a car so when a change comes around it's not that big of a deal. I am not naive enough to think NOTHING will change on a car but i am a bit disappointed that after one year a new transmission is being rolled out. now if this was for a mid model refresh or something thats fine but after one year? either way arguing about this is retarded, everyone has a right to be mad at whatever they want so yea...

Quick Reply: 7 speed auto for 2009 model?