Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review Official FAST INTENTIONS Thread - Post Up Your Photos, Videos & Reviews!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
i've had my Fast Intentions exhaust for almost 2 years now and i honestly couldn't be happier. i ordered the SS setup with new x-pipe and 12" resonators. I also ordered the RHFC all at the same time. In the 2 years i've gotten nothing but compliments on the exhaust, from the way it looks on the car to how it sounds. It's the perfect blend of deep throaty tone while keeping the VQ tone that brought me to the car. Also its just the perfect amount of loud for my taste, it has presence but isn't obnoxious (except at 5:30AM when im on my way to my internship at the hospital, my neighbors can back that one up lol). Also, and my favorite part of this exhaust set up is from idle to redline there isn't the slightest hint of rasp, just throaty tone the entire way. Hats off to Tony at Fast Intentions for making such an amazing exhaust!

Heres the pics and videos from the install day. i'll take another video now thats it broken in and hopefully better quality than the initial one:

Name:  7C1EBC15-3948-4EF5-B624-BAFDC0510794_zps1ch8007p.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  312.1 KB

Name:  EBC436C2-79FD-4D14-83D8-560755E0F972_zpsvxriq2qe.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  284.1 KB

Name:  33A98F29-E555-4DC8-93DA-317E89AEF5E2_zpsz7nyxa08.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  280.4 KB

Heres a video of the car just cats, no exhaust:
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/wX064NEvFI0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/wX064NEvFI0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Heres the video from the next afternoon:
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/AfKu56CFnqs?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/AfKu56CFnqs?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here are some pics of it on the car:

Name:  D690217D-5AE8-4D07-A6AF-5368AC78FFB5_zpshg9g77hx.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  168.2 KB

Name:  DDA81A3B-1697-4855-94AB-2629DE71404F_zpsa0jjbh43.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  705.3 KB

Name:  2D171FB7-BEAA-4407-8572-588037DFC686_zpsmxg5r6jx.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  23B0EF39-95DA-4D80-B6DA-D8808F85A7FF_zpsxnte7zc9.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  134.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
1cleanG (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
^^^Car looks and sounds great! Thank you for the great writeup!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 AM
lillytho67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INTENTIONS Thread - Post Up Your Photos, Videos & Reviews!!

I have to create some videos and photos then i will upload it. May be today night i will upload it.

Lake Worth FL Locksmith
Old 06-04-2014, 04:06 PM
CCVan5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fi exhaust system

Lance,

I just wanted to let you know that the exhaust system has been installed for a couple of weeks now. It sounds awesome. Thank you for all of your help. It was great doing business with you.

Ching
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Twin_snails review:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...and-rhfcs.html

Thank you!
-Lance

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I have long been promising this review to Lance and others, so I'm getting it started tonight after having some time behind the wheel with the Fast Intentions exhaust.

I will say that after the long 3 month wait + 1 month since I received it (Matt's busy work delay) from the time I ordered it, Fast Intentions has me in excellent spirits...I'm in the mood to leap from a yacht, deep off the coast of Miami (saddle in hand), on to a mercury surfboard, to chase down and tackle a great white shark, taming it instantly, strappin up, and riding it into shore, and naming it Sir Preston, as we then share a single malt scotch and pipe tobacco smoke together, with deep, hearty laughter...you know, that kind of mood. :^)

I have researched exhausts for 4 years, listening to hundreds of youtube clips, to analyze the very best balance between build quality, craftsmanship, power gains, and the best sound.

As it's long-known for anyone that's been around this forum for any appreciable amount of time, Lance (1cleanG) is THE person to go to in order to commence the process of acquiring this amazing exhaust. Lance is professional and an officer and a gentleman, for cheerfully answering any of my questions, and even vacillation and flat-out wavering in my decision for the options on the exhaust.

My initial order was the stainless steel exhaust for the sedan, with no resonators on the X-pipe. The stock diameter for the sedan exhaust is 2.25". Through more asking of questions, I realized this and upgraded to 2.5" diameter piping. A few weeks later, I added RHFC's, also in 2.5"

And then the con to the whole deal: the impatient wait. I threw numerous hissy fits of impatience and wanting to hurry the ship date forward-- the effects of which were deleterious to my couch (see animated gif):

Confession: it wasn't really that bad, but that's how I felt inside. After responding to some of Black Betty's comments in another exhaust thread, I concluded that yes, even the waiting time to get the exhaust is good. Good in the sense that it builds character and patience. The effects of which are an even greater sense of satisfaction once you do receive it.

I received the exhaust and cats right on schedule. The box was huge and all of the components were very will packed and secured with lots of bubble wrap and cardboard. I was impressed with the build quality and workmanship in Tony's product. I blacked out the cans with high temperature flat black per BLnewt's suggestion so as to not attract attention that this is aftermarket from afar. When anyone is in earshot, all doubt of it being aftermarket is completely GONE.

I attempted to install the catback myself last weekend and failed miserably due to a lack of tools and a lift. The bolts on the cats and Y-pipe were just not budging. So that shelved my attempted install. I had already dropped the muffler cans and I drove all this week with no cans. I liked the sound and was thinking if the Fast Intentions sounds close to this, I would be happy. A quick call to my good friend Tony, over at Jotech Motorsports, and I was on the books for install today.

Jason had no trouble getting the Y-pipe and mid-pipe off. However, getting the cats unbolted from the headers was a BIGTIME biznasty-iatch. In keeping with statistics, the top bolt on the driver's side snapped off. The O2 sensors came out of the stock cats with no problem. He got everything bolted up and it aligned perfectly. The exhaust tips needed no adjustment whatsoever, a definite hallmark of Tony's build quality.

Sorry for the lack of pics so far but I was acting as Jason's assistant to hold the exhaust while he was bolting it up.

One we were done installing it, Jason started it up and I was behind the car for that first, FI virgin start. The engine fired to life and there was a deep, thunderous rumble bellowing out of those gorgeous chrome exhaust tips. I brought my Dad along for the trip and we both looked at each other and concluded in unified agreement that it sounded absolutely awesome and nasty! From all the youtube videos I'd watched, I had a good idea of how I *thought* it would sound. I was not prepared for the cacophony of thunderous noise that would come from this system. It was probably 3 octaves deeper than just running the muffler delete and twice as loud.

In driving, the presence of the exhaust was VERY noticeable, in the best kind of way. No drone or rice-y rasp that many exhausts of lesser quality are known for. I would characterize it as a rumble. When you're on the highway, just cruising at 70 mph, it's hard to hear the exhaust, but tip into the throttle such as being on an incline, and it's presence becomes known.

In revving and then letting the rpm fall back to idle there is a brief hiss which I think is an exhaust leak. I'm going back over to Jotech on Tuesday to get that checked out. Oh and it's noteworthy to mention that there was no CEL.

I will get some pictures of the fitment on the exhaust tips and some video to capture the sound tomorrow. I can now conclude that any youtube video will simply not do the Fast Intentions exhaust the justice that it deserves.

There is definitely more pull and torque throughout the powerband. Just how much gain remains to be seen. I'll be going back in about a month to get an UPRev tune on the car with dyno so we'll be able to see how much power the FI setup adds. THe butt dyno says it's a decent amount!
twin_snails (07-28-2014)
Old 01-27-2015, 05:57 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

TTT, lets see more reviews!!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

TTT!!!! Lets see those Fast Intentions photos/vids and reviews!
Old 03-16-2015, 02:42 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
FI 12 inch resonated catback with their HFC's on a G37S sedan.

Pros - deep aggressive sound with just the right amount of loudness, butt dyno definitely feels the power improvement. Fit and finish top notch. Drone is not bad at all.

Cons - HISS, HISS, and more HISS. It literally is louder than my exhaust on decel. I find myself trying to keep my rpm's high or low to not bring on the hiss which happens in between 1.5 and 2.5k. Pretty embarrassing IMO. Audible rasp on hard acceleration (is it a high flow cat after all so not too surprising). I also wish the cats has a cross member attachment point as well (lot of stress with no support) but I do like the vibration through the cabin so meh. Could also do without the wait time.

Note: the hiss doesn't happen with the exhaust by its self or when the cats are mated to the stock exhaust. However, when paired together it definitely rears its ugly head. Not all setups do this so due diligence is needed when trying to find the perfect setup (hiss has been prominent on the VQ's for years when messing with the cats, I just happened to find the best combo for it).

So, in closing, if a loud salt shaker hiss bothers you when decelerating don't get my exact setup but remember, this is common for HFC's in general so be mindful of that. Trying to find the best setup now will save you headaches later so research!

I dunno what my next move is going to be but I'm hesitant to take off the cats and have this happen again with another manufacturer and I have to say I do like the Fast Intentions product for the most part (no cel light is a huge plus).

Last edited by AroundTheG37; 03-16-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:27 AM
crawlbugg
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
FI 12 inch resonated catback with their HFC's on a G37S sedan.

Pros - deep aggressive sound with just the right amount of loudness, butt dyno definitely feels the power improvement. Fit and finish top notch. Drone is not bad at all.

Cons - HISS, HISS, and more HISS. It literally is louder than my exhaust on decel. I find myself trying to keep my rpm's high or low to not bring on the hiss which happens in between 1.5 and 2.5k. Pretty embarrassing IMO. Audible rasp on hard acceleration (is it a high flow cat after all so not too surprising). I also wish the cats has a cross member attachment point as well (lot of stress with no support) but I do like the vibration through the cabin so meh. Could also do without the wait time.

Note: the hiss doesn't happen with the exhaust by its self or when the cats are mated to the stock exhaust. However, when paired together it definitely rears its ugly head. Not all setups do this so due diligence is needed when trying to find the perfect setup (hiss has been prominent on the VQ's for years when messing with the cats, I just happened to find the best combo for it).

So, in closing, if a loud salt shaker hiss bothers you when decelerating don't get my exact setup but remember, this is common for HFC's in general so be mindful of that. Trying to find the best setup now will save you headaches later so research!

I dunno what my next move is going to be but I'm hesitant to take off the cats and have this happen again with another manufacturer and I have to say I do like the Fast Intentions product for the most part (no cel light is a huge plus).
Hey what kind/brand of cat's do you have?
Old 03-26-2015, 03:02 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
FI 18" resonators SS exhaust with FI double resonated test pipes, sounds great through the whole rpm range, almost no drone.
There is noticeable hiss on deaccleration with the windows down
Old 03-26-2015, 07:30 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by crawlbugg
Hey what kind/brand of cat's do you have?
Fast intentions non resonated.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
xpost with my Build Thread

Installed my FI catback with 12 inch resonators on my Sedan this past Sunday.

First things first, drove up onto my buddies’ lift then enjoyed a nice cigar while we let the car cool off.

Install was very straightforward and that’s even with my friend and I being pretty n00bish when it comes to exhaust…he’s done 1 (on his BRZ) and I’ve never done one before. The stock exhaust all came down in one piece. Removing the hangers from stock exhaust was a piece of cake with some WD40. Being up on the lift certainly made things very easy – all the bolts came off with no issues at all.

The FI catback went up: front then mufflers, then X pipe. I used the hardware that was already on the back end of the stock cat because FI didn’t provide a gasket for that connection and I didn’t have replacements. I’ll see if I have any leaks and if I do I’ll replace those gaskets. Then the mufflers went up with utilizing 2 of the 3 stock hangers. Lastly the xpipe bolted up. Everything fit great and torqued everything down front to back. Re-installed my center brace since it did just clear the bottom of the xpipe (more on this later).

Here are some photos of the finished install showing that great FI fitment:

Name:  6fb2a67b-9cea-41f6-977f-9da4befa27b7_zpsz97q11ru.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  142.3 KB

Name:  3416fc42-7449-4083-aa2c-161936185eec_zpsoqtbc0ri.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  137.7 KB

Name:  85656ed8-e279-4beb-b860-4241255c2f86_zpsji6p5qnm.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  151.9 KB

Name:  ec66f3af-f5a7-430d-8823-44a2bb1b4418_zpspr9yoqtu.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  170.6 KB

Starting it up for the first time made me giddy. Just the right volume I was looking for. The tone is nice and deep on a cold start and the tone raises up nicely as you rev the engine. Inside the cabin with the windows closed you can definitely hear the difference under load and hard acceleration but at cruising speeds and idle you’d never know it’s aftermarket…very good! There is definitely a drone though under light acceleration in 5th and 6th gear that I’ll have to get used to or adjust my shifting patterns to compensate for.

On my drive home from my friend’s I was definitely smiling the whole way. Everything seemed to be installed correctly and sounded great.

Then I took the car out this morning to get some breakfast. I started noticing a clunking sound…it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side muffler but I wasn’t sure exactly…it’s hard to pinpoint these noises. I parked back at home and worked for the morning, hoping it was just break in from heating/cooling cycles but was pretty doubtful that was the issue. Later in the afternoon when I took my son on some errands I definitely heard it again. It seemed to happen mostly when going over bumps.

Got back up on my friend’s lift tonight and noticed the passenger rearmost muffler hanger had a bit of play to it…the bolts were nice and tight to the frame but the rubber part definitely seemed to move up and down more than the driver side one did. It would move up enough to make contact with the bottom of the car frame when I pushed it hard enough so figured this would be the issue. We uninstalled the hanger and rotated it 180 degrees to see if maybe that would make a difference…It did make the hanger have less movement upward so thought this would probably solve the issue…drove around but still heard the clunking.

Then my friend suggested removing the center brace…So I did and viola! No more clunking! I was pretty surprised this was the issue for a couple reasons. 1- it did fit under the xpipe without touching it. And when I tried to move the pipes up and down it did not appear to make contact with the brace. 2-FI install instructions say you don’t need to remove it unless you have the 2.5” piping.

Anyway this seems to have fixed the issue so I am just running without that brace for now. I did reinstall the bolts since they hold some sort of metal shield to the underside of the frame. Thinking about buying some spacers of some kind, maybe washers to move the brace down a little bit. Anyone know the purpose of this brace and if it’s worth it to figure out a way to reinstall it?

Anyway thanks for sticking with me through the long-winded review. I am ecstatic with this exhaust now that I am clunk free! I’ll do a follow up review in time once it’s been broken in and on the car for a bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Falker11:
blnewt (07-28-2015), jroyalty7 (07-27-2015)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:14 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

bump bump! Be sure to post up your Fast Intentions reviews/photos/vids!
Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Lets see more reviews!!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Ordered a set of RHFC so I'll hopefully be able to chime in soon! Since I have an IPL with a true dual exhaust already, I thought the RHFC's would be a better choice.
1cleanG (06-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Review Official FAST INTENTIONS Thread - Post Up Your Photos, Videos & Reviews!!