Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review Fast Intentions SS Catback & RHFC's

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Talking Fast Intentions SS Catback & RHFC's

I have long been promising this review to Lance and others, so I'm getting it started tonight after having some time behind the wheel with the Fast Intentions exhaust.

I will say that after the long 3 month wait + 1 month since I received it (Matt's busy work delay) from the time I ordered it, Fast Intentions has me in excellent spirits...I'm in the mood to leap from a yacht, deep off the coast of Miami (saddle in hand), on to a mercury surfboard, to chase down and tackle a great white shark, taming it instantly, strappin up, and riding it into shore, and naming it Sir Preston, as we then share a single malt scotch and pipe tobacco smoke together, with deep, hearty laughter...you know, that kind of mood. :^)

I have researched exhausts for 4 years, listening to hundreds of youtube clips, to analyze the very best balance between build quality, craftsmanship, power gains, and the best sound.

As it's long-known for anyone that's been around this forum for any appreciable amount of time, Lance (1cleanG) is THE person to go to in order to commence the process of acquiring this amazing exhaust. Lance is professional and an officer and a gentleman, for cheerfully answering any of my questions, and even vacillation and flat-out wavering in my decision for the options on the exhaust.

My initial order was the stainless steel exhaust for the sedan, with no resonators on the X-pipe. The stock diameter for the sedan exhaust is 2.25". Through more asking of questions, I realized this and upgraded to 2.5" diameter piping. A few weeks later, I added RHFC's, also in 2.5"

And then the con to the whole deal: the impatient wait. I threw numerous hissy fits of impatience and wanting to hurry the ship date forward-- the effects of which were deleterious to my couch (see animated gif):

Confession: it wasn't really that bad, but that's how I felt inside. After responding to some of Black Betty's comments in another exhaust thread, I concluded that yes, even the waiting time to get the exhaust is good. Good in the sense that it builds character and patience. The effects of which are an even greater sense of satisfaction once you do receive it.

I received the exhaust and cats right on schedule. The box was huge and all of the components were very will packed and secured with lots of bubble wrap and cardboard. I was impressed with the build quality and workmanship in Tony's product. I blacked out the cans with high temperature flat black per BLnewt's suggestion so as to not attract attention that this is aftermarket from afar. When anyone is in earshot, all doubt of it being aftermarket is completely GONE.

I attempted to install the catback myself last weekend and failed miserably due to a lack of tools and a lift. The bolts on the cats and Y-pipe were just not budging. So that shelved my attempted install. I had already dropped the muffler cans and I drove all this week with no cans. I liked the sound and was thinking if the Fast Intentions sounds close to this, I would be happy. A quick call to my good friend Tony, over at Jotech Motorsports, and I was on the books for install today.

Jason had no trouble getting the Y-pipe and mid-pipe off. However, getting the cats unbolted from the headers was a BIGTIME biznasty-iatch. In keeping with statistics, the top bolt on the driver's side snapped off. The O2 sensors came out of the stock cats with no problem. He got everything bolted up and it aligned perfectly. The exhaust tips needed no adjustment whatsoever, a definite hallmark of Tony's build quality.

Sorry for the lack of pics so far but I was acting as Jason's assistant to hold the exhaust while he was bolting it up.

One we were done installing it, Jason started it up and I was behind the car for that first, FI virgin start. The engine fired to life and there was a deep, thunderous rumble bellowing out of those gorgeous chrome exhaust tips. I brought my Dad along for the trip and we both looked at each other and concluded in unified agreement that it sounded absolutely awesome and nasty! From all the youtube videos I'd watched, I had a good idea of how I *thought* it would sound. I was not prepared for the cacophony of thunderous noise that would come from this system. It was probably 3 octaves deeper than just running the muffler delete and twice as loud.

In driving, the presence of the exhaust was VERY noticeable, in the best kind of way. No rice-y rasp that many exhausts of lesser quality are known for, but there is drone if you want there to be. Why buy an exhaust if you don't want deep, loud tone?? LOL. I would characterize it as a rumble. When you're on the highway, just cruising at 70 mph, it's hard to hear the exhaust, but tip into the throttle such as being on an inclining road, and it's presence becomes known.

In revving and then letting the rpm fall back to idle there is a brief hiss which I think is an exhaust leak. I'm going back over to Jotech on Tuesday to get that checked out. Oh and it's noteworthy to mention that there was no CEL.

I will get some pictures of the fitment on the exhaust tips and some video to capture the sound tomorrow. I can now conclude that any youtube video will simply not do the Fast Intentions exhaust the justice that it deserves.

Ok I have edited and uploaded the video for the aural enjoyment of your ears. Would love to hear everyone's opinion on how it sounds. For best results, listen to this with some good, in-ear headphones because computer laptop speakers simply don't reproduce the deep tone that this exhaust makes.

Here's the first start video after the exhaust was installed. There's a little bit of rasp but I think one of my gaskets may not be aligned properly. I'll be going back to line it up when I get the tune done and will record new videos once that is resolved. But, it's loud and nasty - just how I like it. :bigthumpup:

Here's another video of a cold start, viewed at the tail pipes until I can get the GoPro and do that WOT run that Mike and many others have requested.

I forgot to add that I had what I would consider the highest form of a compliment from one of Jotech's highly modified GT-R customers who said that my exhaust sounded incredible! Bob has a LOT of work into his GT-R (fully built motor - around 1,000 AWHP and built transmission) so I consider that high praise.

There is definitely more pull and torque throughout the powerband. Just how much gain remains to be seen. I'll be going back in about a month to get an UPRev tune on the car with dyno so we'll be able to see how much power the FI setup adds. The butt dyno says it's a decent amount!

Last edited by twin_snails; 08-20-2014 at 07:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1cleanG (07-28-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:15 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Nice review ! Now let's see thems numbers mang!
twin_snails (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 05:41 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Thank you Sir! I will post the numbers as soon as I can get back over for the UPRev tune. I do have an exhaust leak or a gasket that's out of place so I am going to go get that fixed on Tuesday. I was too excited about the overall exhaust to pay too much attention to the leak.
conkus805 (08-04-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Nice review! This exhaust is really good! I also love mine
twin_snails (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:23 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Thank you Viz! Very nice hp/torque numbers in your signature there.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Jumping off to tame a shark that you name Sir Preston!!! Holy$h!t that's hilarious

I want that mood n the CBE badly. Already got the LTH's from FI ordered. Boom you've made the CBE decision so easy now
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Haha, I had fun writing that and painting a picture of the great mood I'm in.

I'm definitely interested in hearing the combination of FI LTH and CBE. Does FI make an exhaust to fit the vert? I truly hope that they do because I really want you to have the same smile that I do!

Just curious, what was behind your decision to go LTH over the factory shorty headers & HFC setup?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Thank you Matt for the amazing review/writeup! I know it was a tough decision on the resonator setup, but I had full confidence you would be happy with your choice.

I also added a link to your/this review in the official FI review thread!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...d-reviews.html
twin_snails (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 05:09 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 1cleanG
Thank you Matt for the amazing review/writeup! I know it was a tough decision on the resonator setup, but I had full confidence you would be happy with your choice.

I also added a link to your/this review in the official FI review thread!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...d-reviews.html
You're very welcome Lance! Thank you for guiding me into an ABSOLUTELY AWESOME setup!

I added the video that shows a cold startup inside the car and doing some light acceleration. I really can't believe how amazing it sounds!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
well I'm really curious how it sounds under WOT with non resonated X-Pipe... perhaps get a GoPro and mount it to the rear bumper and record some videos under load

btw great review... I can only imagine how sick it sounds, I remember Kevin's FI CBE with 18" + RHFCs how much joy it was
twin_snails (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Thanks Mike! I'll see what I can do to get a GoPro and record some bumper videos under WOT.

I will say that it does get very loud under WOT! But yes, the FI exhaust is pure joy to the ears.
Mik3G37S (07-30-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 PM
Vxlyf3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice and deep sound
twin_snails (07-28-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Thanks Mike! I'll see what I can do to get a GoPro and record some bumper videos under WOT.

I will say that it does get very loud under WOT! But yes, the FI exhaust is pure joy to the ears.
let me know when you record something and make sure you send me a PM so I don't miss that even though I am subscribed to this thread !
Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

^^ Definitely will Mike! I'm not sure when that will be just yet. Work is picking up like crazy this week. I see a lot of 18 hour days in my immediate future.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Haha, I had fun writing that and painting a picture of the great mood I'm in.

I'm definitely interested in hearing the combination of FI LTH and CBE. Does FI make an exhaust to fit the vert? I truly hope that they do because I really want you to have the same smile that I do!

Just curious, what was behind your decision to go LTH over the factory shorty headers & HFC setup?
Actually FI doesn't make a CBE for the Vert....yet. I've been messaging back n forth with 1CleanG about getting it going tho. Tony at FI said if we can get 10 VERTS together they will do a GB. Lance is working on getting that knocked down to 5. That's actually what happened with the LTH's. I placed the CBE order and was notified that they don't make a CBE for the VERTS....so I just used that towards the LTH's. I'm excited to get te whole setup.

Quick Reply: Review Fast Intentions SS Catback & RHFC's