Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help 2013 G37 sport coupe won't start after sitting over a year

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 06:29 PM
Tade37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G37 sport coupe won't start after sitting over a year

It's been sitting over a year. Ran fine when parked. Put a brand new battery in it and something is stuck and making it struggle to try and start. The crank fights to turn slow for one or 2 rotations and stops. Dont sound like it does when it normally should start. And a small amount of smoke coming up out of (driver side ,not front) of engine (burnt rubber smell). I figured it was the serpentine belt with a seized pulley. But I loosened the belt and felt all the pulleys by hand and none seemed seized up. It's got 138,000 miles. Does anyone have any information to share. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-07-2023, 08:52 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,017 Posts
Under what conditions was the car stored for such a extended period of time (garage, outside under a tarp, etc.?

Did you check the oil and coolant levels?

The "burnt rubber smell" could point to the connections at the starter. These are known to corrode over time even with normal usage. With the battery disconnected check the starter connections- make sure they are clean and tight.

While not the easiest to do, especially with these cars, but rule of thumb for engines that sat unused for extended periods of time was to remove the spark plugs, place a few small drops of oil into the cylinders, and turn the crank for a few rotations. This would allow oil to recirculate through the passages and ensure the internals did not seize. Remember, all of the oil has drained to the sump and what little may remain in the upper passages is not enough to protect from corrosion.

Important, if the engine does start, DO NOT rev the engine. LET IT IDLE for AT LEAST 5-10min. This will let all of the fluids come to temperature while giving you time to check for leaks, odd sounds, etc. Assuming all checks out good, limit driving until you can at least change the oil.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:44 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Tade37
It's been sitting over a year. Ran fine when parked. Put a brand new battery in it and something is stuck and making it struggle to try and start. The crank fights to turn slow for one or 2 rotations and stops. Dont sound like it does when it normally should start. And a small amount of smoke coming up out of (driver side ,not front) of engine (burnt rubber smell). I figured it was the serpentine belt with a seized pulley. But I loosened the belt and felt all the pulleys by hand and none seemed seized up. It's got 138,000 miles. Does anyone have any information to share. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Any updates?
Old 08-13-2023, 11:18 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts
Did you leverage a fuel treatment like this one before putting the car in storage?
Amazon Amazon

Based on my understanding, it acts as an emulsifier for all of the condensation that will build up in the tank over an extended storage period.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:40 PM
Tade37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello. Sorry for late reply. I got it figured out. It was 2 problems and a mistake by me. It was a seized alternator that I thought I checked but it was hiding deep down there, and the tow truck was pulling up to bring it to my house and I was rushing and missed it. The starter was bad also. I got it to turn over by smacking it with the hammer but after doing that two different times it stopped working all together. I just purchased the car and didn't know anything about it until I got there that day. I dont know where the seller got 2013 sport from either, because it actually is a 2011 x model. And boy the starter and alternator was a fun job to replace in that car. smh, lol. Its my first time working on an Infinity. And what a job compared to other cars it was replacing them. I guess if it wasn't Awd it would've been a little bit easier. All I can say is thank god for YouTube and websites like this to go to when you need some help.