Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

P0524 after galley gasket fix BUT oil pressures are good

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 01:08 AM
tripled
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0524 after galley gasket fix BUT oil pressures are good

Hi there I am new to this form and I do have about 8yrs years experience working with cars and motorcycles. That’s why this issue has me scratching my head for five months here’s the story.

So I have a 2008 G37s coupe 5AT with VHr 146,000 miles. MODS 3in intakes, ISR LTH + ISR single exit, 570cc injectors, 340 fuel pump, Valvoline 10W-30 full synthetic high mileage Tuned on 93/e85 by Admintuning.
The car ran just fine after installing all of these mods but I got wind of the galley gasket issue and wanted to address it before I had a tragic incident (I mainly use this car for street and track racing ). So I bought a kit from Z1 motorsports that included a water pump and all the gaskets and replacement O-rings that I would need. It took me about two days to do everything properly as far as cleaning the surfaces aligning the timing etc.

and yes I’m sure my timing is correct I’m sure I replace the galley gasket correctly, I double triple checked my work before closing the timing cover back up. When putting everything back together are used brand new 10W-30 oil and brand new coolant.

well I start the car up and it runs just fine for about 10 minutes once it warms up it started surging as if it had a vacuum leak( LIMP MODE ) so I’ve pulled out the soapy water and sprayed it down, didn’t find anything.
next I pull out my code reader and I get these codes:
p0524 & p0447. After looking the codes up they pertain to engine oil pressure to low and vent control valve. next I cleared the codes and try and take it for a test drive the car seems to run Jerky at low RPMs but as I slowly give it gas it will accelerate but once you hit 3000 RPMs it goes into limp mode the only way to bypass this is to slowly accelerate the car in manual and switch the gears if you do this you can get it up to highway speeds there are no funny noises coming from the car while driving it like this even though I know this is not safe.

so that brings me to now within the past five months I have replaced camshaft position sensors, VVT sensors and volt checked them to make sure there working, oil pressure switch charged twice and Ohm and volt checked it also….. my next move was to check oil pressure, so I purchased a gauge from O’Reillys gauge from 0 to 300 psi.

I checked the service manual but it doesn’t give you oil pressure in detail it only states 14psi or more at idle and 43psi or more at 2000 RPMs…. So I called Z1 MOTOSPORTS to ask a technician what oil pressure numbers do they usually see on the VHR motors, these are the numbers he gave me.

this is once your car is at operating temperatures
Idling - 30-40psi
2000rpms - 50-60 psi
hard revs - 80-90psi

my 08 g37 oil pressure test
idling - 30-35psi
2000rpms - 70-80psi
hard revs - 90-100psi

So as you can see the the pressures are a bit high but I can’t find anything on the g37 forms where someone has had trouble with high oil pressure on these motors. I also wonder why I’m getting the P0524 code if my oil pressures are normal or above.

i’ve also gotten a P0021 & P0011 BUUUUT Only if I clear the codes and force the car to drive before going back into limp mode.

So I’m just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this P0524 code after doing the galley gasket job but has normal to high oil pressure??????????

if anyone could please help me out that would be great I have been dealing with this car for five months and I am running out of solutions and money🤦🏽‍♂️
Old 09-18-2022, 12:00 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,017 Posts
Do I understand this correctly in that you took a good engine and decided to replace the gaskets as a preventive measure?

I am tagging @BULL here as he knows these engines- and the timing hassles- inside and out. Literally.

Did you remove ALL of the timing chains- both secondary's and the primary? I am willing to bet either your timing is off or there is a issue with the cam sprockets. These engines are extremely difficult to get timed correctly. I came across this post over at 370z.com which offers a way to test the intake cam sprockets/ out of phase. Then there is the encoder (reluctor) ring which may have slipped.

Not going to kick you while you're down, but sometimes it is best to leave well enough alone. Your galley gaskets may never have failed in the first place...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 09-18-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:13 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by tripled
Hi there I am new to this form and I do have about 8yrs years experience working with cars and motorcycles. That’s why this issue has me scratching my head for five months here’s the story.

So I have a 2008 G37s coupe 5AT with VHr 146,000 miles. MODS 3in intakes, ISR LTH + ISR single exit, 570cc injectors, 340 fuel pump, Valvoline 10W-30 full synthetic high mileage Tuned on 93/e85 by Admintuning.
The car ran just fine after installing all of these mods but I got wind of the galley gasket issue and wanted to address it before I had a tragic incident (I mainly use this car for street and track racing ). So I bought a kit from Z1 motorsports that included a water pump and all the gaskets and replacement O-rings that I would need. It took me about two days to do everything properly as far as cleaning the surfaces aligning the timing etc.

and yes I’m sure my timing is correct I’m sure I replace the galley gasket correctly, I double triple checked my work before closing the timing cover back up. When putting everything back together are used brand new 10W-30 oil and brand new coolant.

well I start the car up and it runs just fine for about 10 minutes once it warms up it started surging as if it had a vacuum leak( LIMP MODE ) so I’ve pulled out the soapy water and sprayed it down, didn’t find anything.
next I pull out my code reader and I get these codes:
p0524 & p0447. After looking the codes up they pertain to engine oil pressure to low and vent control valve. next I cleared the codes and try and take it for a test drive the car seems to run Jerky at low RPMs but as I slowly give it gas it will accelerate but once you hit 3000 RPMs it goes into limp mode the only way to bypass this is to slowly accelerate the car in manual and switch the gears if you do this you can get it up to highway speeds there are no funny noises coming from the car while driving it like this even though I know this is not safe.

so that brings me to now within the past five months I have replaced camshaft position sensors, VVT sensors and volt checked them to make sure there working, oil pressure switch charged twice and Ohm and volt checked it also….. my next move was to check oil pressure, so I purchased a gauge from O’Reillys gauge from 0 to 300 psi.

I checked the service manual but it doesn’t give you oil pressure in detail it only states 14psi or more at idle and 43psi or more at 2000 RPMs…. So I called Z1 MOTOSPORTS to ask a technician what oil pressure numbers do they usually see on the VHR motors, these are the numbers he gave me.

this is once your car is at operating temperatures
Idling - 30-40psi
2000rpms - 50-60 psi
hard revs - 80-90psi

my 08 g37 oil pressure test
idling - 30-35psi
2000rpms - 70-80psi
hard revs - 90-100psi

So as you can see the the pressures are a bit high but I can’t find anything on the g37 forms where someone has had trouble with high oil pressure on these motors. I also wonder why I’m getting the P0524 code if my oil pressures are normal or above.

i’ve also gotten a P0021 & P0011 BUUUUT Only if I clear the codes and force the car to drive before going back into limp mode.

So I’m just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this P0524 code after doing the galley gasket job but has normal to high oil pressure??????????

if anyone could please help me out that would be great I have been dealing with this car for five months and I am running out of solutions and money🤦🏽‍♂️
There's really nothing left other than slipped VTC tone rings. This is a semi-common issue with failing gaskets.

The reason why is semi-common is that high oil temp parameters + low oil pressure is not usually seen in our daily driver however being that you are tuned (not taking the tuner into consideration) means that you probably saw plenty of RPM with low pressure which heats up the VTC mechanism. The tone ring is usually the least lubricated part in that chain area and VTC is always moving. The temperature difference + high temps cause the slip. It can be missed during the chain job as well since no one pays attention (including me) to their position, it's not like there is a timing spot for them either.

Depending on the tuning program you should be able to see your VTC angles and make sure they match. You should be able to place the engine at TDC and with the key on monitor VTC angles. (If you move the crank after the key has been turned on the engine could start on you)You can also at TDC remove the VTC covers and see their position as well.
These rings are temperature pressed, even 230F can play an effect on these so who knows. Ring slippage has been documented and can truly mess with your head if it ends up being the problem. That's the only thing that I can think off since it seems like you've covered most of it. I also dont think oil pressures are your problem any more.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:33 PM
tripled
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Do I understand this correctly in that you took a good engine and decided to replace the gaskets as a preventive measure?

I am tagging @BULL here as he knows these engines- and the timing hassles- inside and out. Literally.

Did you remove ALL of the timing chains- both secondary's and the primary? I am willing to bet either your timing is off or there is a issue with the cam sprockets. These engines are extremely difficult to get timed correctly. I came across this post over at 370z.com which offers a way to test the intake cam sprockets/ out of phase. Then there is the encoder (reluctor) ring which may have slipped.

Not going to kick you while you're down, but sometimes it is best to leave well enough alone. Your galley gaskets may never have failed in the first place...
so yes the car was periodically going into limp mode that’s what got me on the forms and looking into what the problem could be ,that’s how I linked P0524 the galley gasket issue. From my understanding this code was relentless you were bound to get it at some point in time especially if you are frequently in the high RPMs I purposely bought this car to race,
so I wanted to address the problem before I blew the engine. my mistake was not checking my oil pressure before doing the job. AND no I did not remove the secondary time in chain I only removed it from the crank and water pump the rest of it hung there. I’ve heard of this sprocket phaser problem but did not know how to confirm it🤷🏽‍♂️
Old 09-20-2022, 06:35 PM
tripled
Registered Member

I also put the motor at top dead center before disassembling
Old 09-20-2022, 06:54 PM
tripled
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
There's really nothing left other than slipped VTC tone rings. This is a semi-common issue with failing gaskets.

The reason why is semi-common is that high oil temp parameters + low oil pressure is not usually seen in our daily driver however being that you are tuned (not taking the tuner into consideration) means that you probably saw plenty of RPM with low pressure which heats up the VTC mechanism. The tone ring is usually the least lubricated part in that chain area and VTC is always moving. The temperature difference + high temps cause the slip. It can be missed during the chain job as well since no one pays attention (including me) to their position, it's not like there is a timing spot for them either.

Depending on the tuning program you should be able to see your VTC angles and make sure they match. You should be able to place the engine at TDC and with the key on monitor VTC angles. (If you move the crank after the key has been turned on the engine could start on you)You can also at TDC remove the VTC covers and see their position as well.
These rings are temperature pressed, even 230F can play an effect on these so who knows. Ring slippage has been documented and can truly mess with your head if it ends up being the problem. That's the only thing that I can think off since it seems like you've covered most of it. I also dont think oil pressures are your problem any more.

Bank 1 passenger side

Bank 2 driver side

Crank position before timing cover put back on..
Old 09-20-2022, 06:57 PM
tripled
Registered Member

is this why I’m still getting P0524 code but oil pressure is good???
Old 09-20-2022, 07:02 PM
tripled
Registered Member

I didn’t check the oil pressure before doing the galley gasket job but I did find this when I got the timing cover open so I’m pretty sure eventually it would have failed
Old 09-21-2022, 08:21 AM
BULL
Moderador

Based off the pictures the rings look "ok" only way to find out is turning it on and monitoring on the app.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:03 PM
tripled
Registered Member

Based off the pictures the rings look "ok" only way to find out is turning it on and monitoring on the app.

is it possible that an bad intake phaser/ Ring
could be causing my P0524 code ???
Old 10-11-2022, 11:25 AM
BULL
Moderador

It is a possibility, one that will need to be confirmed via scanner.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:37 PM
Nandosan
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It is a possibility, one that will need to be confirmed via scanner.

i got an innova 3170RS OBDII scanner, would that show the position of the phasers? I couldn’t see anything related to angles or anything