Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil Sandwich Plate Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:39 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Oil Sandwich Plate Recommendations?

Looking to grab an oil sandwich plate to keep an eye on the oil pressure. I've been reading some incredibly mixed reviews on Glowshift, Mishimoto and Mocal with half of them being excellent and the other half saying the rings were junk and they leaked. Anyone have any recommendations, or should I just get a T fitting?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:40 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 271 Posts
Keep i mind that if you use a sandwich plate for oil pressure, you are measuring the oil pressure BEFORE the filter and not the actual engine oil pressure.
I suspect the difference is only 4-8 PSI, but I just wanted you to know

You might want to put on an adapter and connect the oil pressure switch and oil pressure sensor to the stock location.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Keep i mind that if you use a sandwich plate for oil pressure, you are measuring the oil pressure BEFORE the filter and not the actual engine oil pressure.
I suspect the difference is only 4-8 PSI, but I just wanted you to know

You might want to put on an adapter and connect the oil pressure switch and oil pressure sensor to the stock location.
do you know what the thread is on the T? Is it NPT all the way around? My original plan was to do the T fitting but a tuner told me the length and weight the adapter and two sensors could damage the port?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:13 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

The oil pressure port on the engine is a 1/8" BSP (British standard pipe thread), so you will need a T with three ports:
• 1/8" BSP male (to engine)
• 1/8" NPT (to gauge)
• 1/8" BSP female (to factory pressure switch)
Many people have put a T on the oil pressure port with out any problems, just try to keep the assembly as short as possible.

** Do not over tighten the T or engine oil pressure switch. The spec is 11 foot-lbs **
The following users liked this post:
krazyfiend (01-02-2022)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Dude, thank you so much, I've been trying to find that information out for like forever. Would you use pipe tape to seal the threads? Is it possible to just get rid of the factory sender without throwing codes?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:38 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

GlowShift 1/8 BSPT Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Sensor Thread Adapter for 2012-2016 Scion FR-S Subaru BRZ Toyota GT86 GlowShift 1/8 BSPT Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Sensor Thread Adapter for 2012-2016 Scion FR-S Subaru BRZ Toyota GT86

^ This should be exactly what I need then, right?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:05 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nonlinearedits
Dude, thank you so much, I've been trying to find that information out for like forever. Would you use pipe tape to seal the threads? Is it possible to just get rid of the factory sender without throwing codes?
I am 98% sure you can remove the switch without any ECU issues. The switch is open when there is more than 5 psi, so it is open almost all the time.
(BTW: having the switch open, or disconnecting the connector is the same thing)

Then get a 1/8" BSP Male to 1/8" NPT Female adapter and just remove the oil pressure switch and connect the adapter and gauge to the engine.

It is best to use some type of thread sealant like Ultra Grey RTV Gasket Maker.
When you use teflon tape, there is a small chance a part of the tape can tear off and enter the oil passages.

Originally Posted by nonlinearedits
That should work, but is does look a little long and heavy.