Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Transfer case and valve cover gaskets starting to leak at 38k on 2013 G37x

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 PM
Kurt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case and valve cover gaskets starting to leak at 38k on 2013 G37x

Hi All,

I have a G37x that I bought with 34k in July 17. Took to Infiniti dealer for service and vehicle inspection. They found that the transfer case and valve cover gaskets are starting to leak. This seems early for the gaskets to go; are these chronic problems for the model/yr?

My 2003 G35 went 198k with few problems and everything still worked !

Appreciate any thoughts

Kurt

P.S. Any experience with service at San Francisco Infiniti on Van Ness?
Old 03-30-2018, 10:41 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt
Hi All,

I have a G37x that I bought with 34k in July 17. Took to Infiniti dealer for service and vehicle inspection. They found that the transfer case and valve cover gaskets are starting to leak. This seems early for the gaskets to go; are these chronic problems for the model/yr?

My 2003 G35 went 198k with few problems and everything still worked !

Appreciate any thoughts

Kurt

P.S. Any experience with service at San Francisco Infiniti on Van Ness?
Sorry, I have no information on the valve cover gaskets but as of San Francisco Infiniti, I find the peninsula Infiniti in Redwood City to be better for customer service . There is also more parking I feel like. Good luck on your situation
Old 03-31-2018, 01:23 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Transfer case is a hit and miss thing. Mine started to leak at 110k km. Had to get new seals (not expensive, but replacing them can be). Valve cover is fairly uncommon past 2010.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:36 PM
Kurt

Thanks

Originally Posted by SkyG37
Sorry, I have no information on the valve cover gaskets but as of San Francisco Infiniti, I find the peninsula Infiniti in Redwood City to be better for customer service . There is also more parking I feel like. Good luck on your situation
I have had good experience at Peninsula but no longer commute down the peninsula, will post my experience with the service I receive.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:39 PM
Kurt

Originally Posted by hexotic
Transfer case is a hit and miss thing. Mine started to leak at 110k km. Had to get new seals (not expensive, but replacing them can be). Valve cover is fairly uncommon past 2010.
Thanks for the good data on incidence. Thinking that the quality of the replacement is dependent on the skill of the tech E.g.,, preparation, reassembly attention and torquing.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:52 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
And quality oil seals. I bought National seals, and the've held up great so far. Rockauto usually has them for a good price. Probably half of what a mechanic would charge you.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=710915
https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=710722
Old 04-19-2018, 02:49 PM
Kurt

I have completed my service at Infiniti SF.; and as mentioned earlier in the thread here are my thoughts.

The service was excellent. During planned repairs for transfer case pinion seal, replacement of valve cover gaskets and replacement of the upper radiator hose, a bad O2 sensor was discovered and replaced. Car runs better than it did when ai brought it in.

Staff ( Kenneth and Fred ) communicated well, answering my detailed questions about the proposed service. The intent of the team was always to make the experience easiest for me, including holding my car for three days when I was out of town.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:19 AM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt
I have completed my service at Infiniti SF.; and as mentioned earlier in the thread here are my thoughts.

The service was excellent. During planned repairs for transfer case pinion seal, replacement of valve cover gaskets and replacement of the upper radiator hose, a bad O2 sensor was discovered and replaced. Car runs better than it did when ai brought it in.

Staff ( Kenneth and Fred ) communicated well, answering my detailed questions about the proposed service. The intent of the team was always to make the experience easiest for me, including holding my car for three days when I was out of town.
Glad to hear about a good experience. Even better that your G sounds like a happy monster now.