Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Do I need to retune with test pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:13 PM
willstophe
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Do I need to retune with test pipes?

I am running Stillen SC kit with EcuTek tune. Need to swap my cats (they are dead). If I go with test pipes, do I need to retune?
Old 03-04-2017, 05:08 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Yes.
8 character limit...
Old 03-04-2017, 06:04 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
there is a thread on here where they insist that moving over to test pipes or hfc will net a loss of power...
Old 05-06-2017, 11:23 PM
willstophe
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I did art pipes. Car runs way smoother since. Cooling is actually up. Havent had to retune.
The following users liked this post:
goredcar (06-10-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:44 PM
shawnberry45
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Any loss of low end? been thinking about it myself...
Old 06-10-2017, 06:08 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by willstophe
I did art pipes. Car runs way smoother since. Cooling is actually up. Havent had to retune.
I took Stillen's advice and ditched my ART pipes... am very sorry that I listened to them as my cats are now burned out I am happy to hear that you have gotten away without a retune as that adds a lot of extra cost.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:41 AM
shawnberry45
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It is great news - Im tuned with Uprev... I assume I can swap out to Art's and not have an issue or need to retune?
Old 06-14-2017, 03:48 AM
gearheadrd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you should always do a retune. Otherwise, you're not getting the full potential gains.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:18 AM
goredcar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gearheadrd
Yes, you should always do a retune. Otherwise, you're not getting the full potential gains.
This is correct in theory, but the practical ROI (HP/$) also comes into to play for most of us. I just don't see the value of paying $1K for a full tune to get maybe a 5-10HP gain. I could see it if I was going to a high boost pulley, but this exhaust change is pretty minor.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 AM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
You won't care about roi when your motor pops due to running too lean. Just saying. It's worth at least getting AFR back in range. Ignition shouldn't need adjusting besides more advancement for power but we are talking safety strictly right now.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:33 AM
goredcar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
You won't care about roi when your motor pops due to running too lean. Just saying. It's worth at least getting AFR back in range. Ignition shouldn't need adjusting besides more advancement for power but we are talking safety strictly right now.
I monitor AFR so I would immediately know if it starts running lean.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:37 AM
gearheadrd

Well, if you have already spent a couple of hundred bucks on an Intake system to gain 5-10hp, a couple of hundred bucks on a cat-back exhaust for another 5-10hp, and another couple hundred bucks on test pipes / high-flow cats for, again, that 5-10hp, then spending a few hundred bucks on a tune/re-tune for another 5-10hp is definitely worth the money

And you'll definitely see the bargain when you race another G or Z with the exact same setup as you, but he manages to pull on your because he had that 5-10hp advantage from a proper tune

Originally Posted by goredcar
This is correct in theory, but the practical ROI (HP/$) also comes into to play for most of us. I just don't see the value of paying $1K for a full tune to get maybe a 5-10HP gain. I could see it if I was going to a high boost pulley, but this exhaust change is pretty minor.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:09 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gearheadrd
Well, if you have already spent a couple of hundred bucks on an Intake system to gain 5-10hp, a couple of hundred bucks on a cat-back exhaust for another 5-10hp, and another couple hundred bucks on test pipes / high-flow cats for, again, that 5-10hp, then spending a few hundred bucks on a tune/re-tune for another 5-10hp is definitely worth the money

And you'll definitely see the bargain when you race another G or Z with the exact same setup as you, but he manages to pull on your because he had that 5-10hp advantage from a proper tune
I think you are missing an important point... it is not a couple of hundred bucks to retune on a dyno. I've had my car tuned twice and both times was well over $1K. My tune is already optimized for maximum performance. I am considering making a minor change to the exhaust system going from burned out cats to resonated test pipes. I am likely already at zero back pressure from the cats and AFR readings are fine at all throttle settings. And I don't notice any power loss. A 5 HP increase is withing the tolerance of measurement error. Even 10HP represents a 2% variance for me so doubt that would be a factor going against another car.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:54 AM
gearheadrd

Well, in your case, your car is supercharged and not a typical all-motor bolt-on setup anymore, so you should car a re-tune anyway when switching from high flow cats to test pipes. The tune will shift enough to need a quick re-tune. You can have ten thousand gauges to log your car's performance, but at the end of the day, what does that mean to you? And the million $$$ question is, how much power are you putting down to the ground with your new test pipes? Did you gain or lose power? Nobody is convinced when your butt tells you the car "feels" faster or slower.

But anyway, going back onto the original topic, if you're not planning to re-tune the car to get the most gains out of the setup anyway, then why even bother doing test pipes in the first place? Might as well save that $1K on a tune, plus another couple of hundred bucks from buying a pair of test pipes, correct? Unless you don't have access to a good local tuner, then that's different story. Otherwise, just remember, every horsepower counts when you're all-motor

I think you are missing an important point... it is not a couple of hundred bucks to retune on a dyno. I've had my car tuned twice and both times was well over $1K. My tune is already optimized for maximum performance. I am considering making a minor change to the exhaust system going from burned out cats to resonated test pipes. I am likely already at zero back pressure from the cats and AFR readings are fine at all throttle settings. And I don't notice any power loss. A 5 HP increase is withing the tolerance of measurement error. Even 10HP represents a 2% variance for me so doubt that would be a factor going against another car.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Who is charging you $1,000 for a retune? ECUTek? JoeTech here in Dallas quoted me $150 since I already am flashed via ECUTek.

1K is outrageous to just look at files and do some polishing. Hell ever thought about utilizing data logging and file transfer? That's what I did with Visconti, and I am happy with the reuslts.