Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

To All VQ engines, Pls. check your cam cover for oil weep, dampness, leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Awgd8

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
To All VQ engines, Pls. check your cam cover for oil weep, dampness, leaks

Guys, my 2008 Infiniti EX35 (@84k miles ) extended warranty ends this month (July 25) and I had to bring my car last week for full checkup with the Infiniti dealership service dept.

My primary issue was an oil weep (very small area ) coming from the driver side cam cover seal. It is not dripping with oil, but it is a bit wet. It is in the middle and back of the cam cover driver side. Since the warranty is almost done, my service advisor did a great job checking the whole car, and found also a small leak in the front radiator seam.

Both were fixed (replaced) and I was a happy camper!

I also have a 2015 Q40 (G37x) with 7k miles and did notice 2 dirty area closer to the cam cover seal (driver side) that looks like a remnant of oil that was blackened by dirt. I grabbed a long stick with paper towel at the end and I tried to wipe it down. It is a bit wet and appears to be an engine oil residue. Right now it is very minor since the spot is closer to the camshaft bolt cover and the oil was not weeping towards the engine metal flange. (Where the camshaft cover meets the engine block)

I stopped using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic in my VQ cars. The Q40 still has a Penzoil Platinum engine oil in there and I am switching to Mobile 1 full synthetic. It might not be an oil issue, but I noticed Pennzoil Synthetic oil is the only oil I use for both car and it is not good to see an oil residue near the driver side cam cover seal when the car is still at 7,200 miles.
This is the same oil I used when my EX35 timing chain cover leaked (replaced under warranty and cost $2,000)

Currently, the EX35 uses Mobile 1 Highmileage Full synthetic oil. So far so good. Not a damp of oil around the cam shaft cover seal.

Just a reminder to all VQ owners out there, if still under warranty, pay attention to the camshaft cover seal for oil dampness, weep or leaks. Even a small residue of oil must be fixed befor warranty runs out. Also don't forget to check Passenger side Timing chain cover for oil weep or leaks (front area of camshaft cover passenger side where it meets with the timing chain cover seal)

You don't need to remove the engine cover to check for leaks.
I am 100% sure, one of you guys have this issue.... :crazy:
The following users liked this post:
j50ny (07-05-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 06:31 PM
rsingerG37

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Awgd8
Guys, my 2008 Infiniti EX35 (@84k miles ) extended warranty ends this month (July 25) and I had to bring my car last week for full checkup with the Infiniti dealership service dept.

My primary issue was an oil weep (very small area ) coming from the driver side cam cover seal. It is not dripping with oil, but it is a bit wet. It is in the middle and back of the cam cover driver side. Since the warranty is almost done, my service advisor did a great job checking the whole car, and found also a small leak in the front radiator seam.

Both were fixed (replaced) and I was a happy camper!

I also have a 2015 Q40 (G37x) with 7k miles and did notice 2 dirty area closer to the cam cover seal (driver side) that looks like a remnant of oil that was blackened by dirt. I grabbed a long stick with paper towel at the end and I tried to wipe it down. It is a bit wet and appears to be an engine oil residue. Right now it is very minor since the spot is closer to the camshaft bolt cover and the oil was not weeping towards the engine metal flange. (Where the camshaft cover meets the engine block)

I stopped using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic in my VQ cars. The Q40 still has a Penzoil Platinum engine oil in there and I am switching to Mobile 1 full synthetic. It might not be an oil issue, but I noticed Pennzoil Synthetic oil is the only oil I use for both car and it is not good to see an oil residue near the driver side cam cover seal when the car is still at 7,200 miles.
This is the same oil I used when my EX35 timing chain cover leaked (replaced under warranty and cost $2,000)

Currently, the EX35 uses Mobile 1 Highmileage Full synthetic oil. So far so good. Not a damp of oil around the cam shaft cover seal.

Just a reminder to all VQ owners out there, if still under warranty, pay attention to the camshaft cover seal for oil dampness, weep or leaks. Even a small residue of oil must be fixed befor warranty runs out. Also don't forget to check Passenger side Timing chain cover for oil weep or leaks (front area of camshaft cover passenger side where it meets with the timing chain cover seal)

You don't need to remove the engine cover to check for leaks.
I am 100% sure, one of you guys have this issue.... :crazy:
Do you have any pictures?
Old 07-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Awgd8

I don't have a picture, but just check around the driver side black cam cover where it meets the engine block on the side (Seal)
Old 07-05-2016, 09:32 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Your talking abou the front of the block right, I have mentioned my seeping/leaking to the dealer a few times, they keep telling me it's nothing. :/
Old 07-05-2016, 01:55 PM
j50ny
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts
Will definitely check mine periodically. I'm at 35,xxx miles.

Glad everything was taken care of under warranty!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Awgd8

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Your talking abou the front of the block right, I have mentioned my seeping/leaking to the dealer a few times, they keep telling me it's nothing. :/
There are 2 issues here.
1) Camshaft cover ( 2 on both side of the engine)
The black camshaft cover on the driver side parallel to the driver side front fender. You need to check that once a month at least for signs of dampness. You have to check the metal (engine block) area where the black camshaft cover meets the metal.

If you see the 10mm bolts (located lower)on the black camshaft cover, the oil dampness starts or show on the metal area under the bottom part of the black cover. Sometimes, dampness only shows on small area at the right side or middle or rear of the cover..

2) The timing chain cover. It leaks behind it. (Passenger side) So if you follow the black passnger side camshaft cover towards the front of the engine block, the leaks start a bit higher than the camshaft cover and oil will run down at the front end if the camshaft cover driver side.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/warning-c...k-t600600.html

If car is still under warranty, it is good to fix it now, specially the timing chain cover. I heard in the long run , this can cause low oil pressure warning...

Both issue were fixed by my local Infiniti dealer...

Last edited by Awgd8; 07-05-2016 at 08:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Awgd8:
ANMVQ (07-06-2016), blnewt (07-10-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 11:53 AM
rsingerG37

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
My 2012 had all these issues. Under warranty the valve cover gaskets were replaced and they had to remove the rear timing cover to reseal it.