Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Axle click

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Axle click

First generation G's are very well aware of the problem of clicking axles. I wasn't aware that it also plagued the G37 until I happened to notice it on my car recently. As far as I've been able to discern form what I've read about it, the clicking isn't causing any damage to components. It's just annoying. Does anyone know exactly what is causes it to make the clicking sound? I know it requires lubrication at the interface between the axle stub and rear of the wheel hub, but what is actually clicking?

Yet another quality control issue that has gone ignored by Nissan/Infiniti through 2 generations of this car. Great job QC engineers! Kaizen my azz.

I will fix it this weekend pending good weather. Has anyone else noticed it on their G37 coupe or sedan?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Cr0tchf4i

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Here you go man- http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1SB3.pdf

I called my dealership (which is terrible) and they said it'll be $280 to fix it. Even though I have the extended factory warranty, which is horse **** in my opinion. It won't cause any damage, but over time it will eventually lead to a mental breakdown because it's so incredibly annoying.
The following users liked this post:
krazyfiend (06-20-2019)
Old 02-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I'm long, long out of warranty and I'm not a customer that overpays for oil changes and other basic overpriced maintenance that I prefer to do myself so there's no chance of a dealership extending me any "customer good will". Straight DIY for me.

Thanks for the link to the TSB. Unbelievably, there are many, many different TSBs for this issue covering basically every Nissan vehicle you can imagine. By combing through them I learned that the 350Z and G35 had a different fastener setup than our cars on the differential end of the axle that uses the bolts along with nuts and washers. And spring washers underneath the axle nut. Ours don't. There's also numerous different torque specs given in the various TSBs. Ours is very specific in stating that torquing to less than 133 or more than 136 ft/lbs and the issue may come back. That's a pretty small window considering most all torque wrenches have a far greater error factor than that. And one TSB even gives the lazy way to to it, by just removing the axle nut and pushing it back enough to smear some grease in there without removing the axle completely. Amazing, seeing as this one is very specific - "The amount of grease used is critical for success of the repair.
Do not use too much or too little."

And just out of curiosity, why must the axle be rotated 180 degrees when reinstalling? Anybody know?
The following users liked this post:
krazyfiend (06-20-2019)
Old 02-03-2015, 05:29 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
There is a DIY on 370Z that I believe u add some new washers I believe that fixes it..
Old 02-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
There is a DIY on 370Z that I believe u add some new washers I believe that fixes it..
Link? I read a lot of DIYs. Some use different parts than we do like I mentioned above.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:03 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Apply exactly 1.2 – 4.0 grams of Molykote M77 grease.

No more, no less.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by TVPostSound

No more, no less.
I actually laughed out loud when I read that. I looked like this: Good thing I wasn't drinking anything or my screen and keyboard would be ruined.

I'll swing by my local dealership and get one of their factory trained ASE Certified Master Technicians to let me borrow their metric scale that they use to precisely measure out between 1.2 and 4.0 grams of grease each time they perform this procedure. And hopefully they'll regale me with a cautionary tale of the one poor bastard who used 4.3 grams once and the ensuing total engine failure it caused on the customer's car. I certainly don't want to be that guy...

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2015, 12:48 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'll swing by my local dealership and get one of their factory trained ASE Certified Master Technicians to let me borrow their metric scale that they use to precisely measure out between 1.2 and 4.0 grams of grease each time they perform this procedure.
Or the drug dealer down the street!!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound

No more, no less.
Put yourself in place of the person who wrote the TSB, you know this will be read by thousands of people across the world. Not quantifying it and saying, "ensure all surfaces are coated" is ambiguous; this could mean excess is allowed. "Apply sparingly" could be interpreted as maybe all surfaces need not be coated. The range 1.2g - 4.0g is something that could, in theory, be repeatably reproduced by anyone following the instructions. It is more than likely that the person writing this knows that quantifying it will cover their asses.

Now, given that 1.2g - 4.0g is a large range, it still is enough for the average tech/DIY'er to get the idea that I shouldn't slather it on. Further, the person writing this knows that it likely won't be measured out. Rather, the average tech/DIY'er will likely realize that 1.2g - 4.0g is like a dollop on your finger, rather than a scooping it out with your hand.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

As a follow up, my issue turned out not to be the dreaded axle click. Instead it was a TPMS that had come loose that was moving around inside the wheel. I could only hear it clicking around in there when starting to roll or coming to a slow stop. So replacing the TPMS made the noise stop and the light on my dash go off (I thought it was a dying battery in one of the sensors).

Now I have the bolts, axle nut, cotter pin, and moly grease for when it does eventually happen or to sell to someone when they need it.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:41 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
As a follow up, my issue turned out not to be the dreaded axle click. Instead it was a TPMS that had come loose that was moving around inside the wheel. I could only hear it clicking around in there when starting to roll or coming to a slow stop. So replacing the TPMS made the noise stop and the light on my dash go off (I thought it was a dying battery in one of the sensors).

Now I have the bolts, axle nut, cotter pin, and moly grease for when it does eventually happen or to sell to someone when they need it.
Welp, I've got a car that could use it. Fix mine lol.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Cr0tchf4i

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question- When re-installing the driveshaft into the hub, why do you rotate it 180*?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by monytx
Welp, I've got a car that could use it. Fix mine lol.
If your car is a G35 coupe (I think it is?) the axle is fastened to the differential with different fasteners. Otherwise I'd be glad to for a reasonable fee. If you want some of the Molykote 77 without having to buy more than you need and wait 2 weeks for it, you can have a little of mine. It only requires about a thimble full. I work near downtown most days and occasionally in Spring. If you want some, let me know and I'll bring it to work.

Originally Posted by Cr0tchf4i
Question- When re-installing the driveshaft into the hub, why do you rotate it 180*?
I wondered this myself. Anybody know?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
If your car is a G35 coupe (I think it is?) the axle is fastened to the differential with different fasteners. Otherwise I'd be glad to for a reasonable fee. If you want some of the Molykote 77 without having to buy more than you need and wait 2 weeks for it, you can have a little of mine. It only requires about a thimble full. I work near downtown most days and occasionally in Spring. If you want some, let me know and I'll bring it to work.

I wondered this myself. Anybody know?
I've got a g37 coupe, and I'm sure we've met a few times lol.. I wouldn't mind the help at all. I mean I've got the gist of it to just be able to do it myself, however, I'll gladly pay.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I remember you, just not which car you drive.

Quick Reply: Axle click