Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

08 G37 Engine swap into a 09 G37 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:32 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Have you tired putting the key on the door on the dash ,
Long shot but . I had a similar issue with my wife's 08 sedan I tried flashing it with Hypertech and it fried the ECU for the key ( what ever that thing is called) don't remember :/
It is possible they shorted something out durning the install. I would start there
Old 03-22-2014, 12:09 PM
jbusbygbtc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The immobilizer red solid light is now off and the car recognizes the key. They are still testing power signals from the engine harness into the cabin and ecu etc...

I'll keep yall posted. Thanks again
The following users liked this post:
hooey_b (01-08-2016)
Old 03-23-2014, 12:44 AM
deep007

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jbusbygbtc
The immobilizer red solid light is now off and the car recognizes the key. They are still testing power signals from the engine harness into the cabin and ecu etc...

I'll keep yall posted. Thanks again
hmm if your using the same ECU there shouldn't be no problem bro. I would love you come help you if you were near me.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:04 PM
CLyons0203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How in the world did anybody think an manual harness and automatic harness would be the same? Manual harness has clutch switch that allows u to start car. Automatic has relays and checks to see if car is in drive or neutral before it will let u start it.

Nissan has always made there cars like this. GOOGLE
Old 03-24-2014, 06:03 PM
deep007

Originally Posted by CLyons0203
How in the world did anybody think an manual harness and automatic harness would be the same? Manual harness has clutch switch that allows u to start car. Automatic has relays and checks to see if car is in drive or neutral before it will let u start it.

Nissan has always made there cars like this. GOOGLE
No one said they are the same. but thanks for your words .
Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 PM
jbusbygbtc

Thanks for all your help guys. Funny comment CLyons0203, I didn't take any offense to it but I got a kick out of it with deep007. JTran Studios is closed today so I'll inform yall what else is going on and definitely post a new video tomorrow. Question to all. How long should this process take to fix? Just an estimate? Could it be the ECU? Idk just ready to get back into this car and not rely on others for transportation. It really sucks cause I've only had this car going on a year. Thank You All!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 AM
deep007

Originally Posted by jbusbygbtc
Thanks for all your help guys. Funny comment CLyons0203, I didn't take any offense to it but I got a kick out of it with deep007. JTran Studios is closed today so I'll inform yall what else is going on and definitely post a new video tomorrow. Question to all. How long should this process take to fix? Just an estimate? Could it be the ECU? Idk just ready to get back into this car and not rely on others for transportation. It really sucks cause I've only had this car going on a year. Thank You All!!!
If they know what they are doing they only a day IMO. what exactly you other mechanic did? the new motor was it a long block or short block? if your using the same key and same ecu which was originally equipped with your car then there shouldn't be a problem. There are three Plugs which connects to ECU. Note two of them are very similar they can used backwards you have to use common sense to look at the wire which way they are bent and should direct you to its current location. Other than that buddy your ECU doesn't know that you have you swap the motor out. Its like if you have to replace you spark plugs ECU doesn't know that. When my friend swap the motor the only wiring harness he swap was the goes to ECU other than that its all same. I would start with checking the ecu to see if everything is plugged in and also there's another plugs which is located right next to battery check that as well. To me it sounds like either something is loose or not plugged in correctly.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 PM
jbusbygbtc

Unhappy

Originally Posted by deep007
If they know what they are doing they only a day IMO. what exactly you other mechanic did? the new motor was it a long block or short block? if your using the same key and same ecu which was originally equipped with your car then there shouldn't be a problem. There are three Plugs which connects to ECU. Note two of them are very similar they can used backwards you have to use common sense to look at the wire which way they are bent and should direct you to its current location. Other than that buddy your ECU doesn't know that you have you swap the motor out. Its like if you have to replace you spark plugs ECU doesn't know that. When my friend swap the motor the only wiring harness he swap was the goes to ECU other than that its all same. I would start with checking the ecu to see if everything is plugged in and also there's another plugs which is located right next to battery check that as well. To me it sounds like either something is loose or not plugged in correctly.

So I went yesterday to check on the status of the vehicle and was basically told these types of issues take time to fix the issue and it wont be a matter of a few days. By this weekend it will be going on 2 weeks its been at the shop. I have tried to express my knowledge of where the problem might be since they have already gotten rid of the solid red immobilizer light. My only other suggestions would be that its either the ECU or the steering lock column. But my pockets are getting dry on this matter and I need my vehicle back and working because its been a pain in my a** to search for rides to work and back etc... I've even had to pay a taxi cab going to wor for $76.00 going to and from. Again wish me luck guys its done by the end of this week. JTran Studios is a legit company and I do trust them but I thought this problem would've been fixed by now.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 PM
jbusbygbtc

I talked with JTran and they weren't able to get the vehicle up and running. They stated that maybe the Valve Body to the transmission has been fried somewhere between the engine swap. I'm out of all ideas guys. I have also been told that maybe due to the incorrect engine harness that my ECU may be a goner as well.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:01 PM
untamed242

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so im trying to make sense of what has happened so far.

you swapped the motor only. same transmission correct?

if that is the case the wiring harness should not have been swapped.

donor was manual car is automatic. correct?

makes sure the previous mechanic installed the signal plate onto the manual motor from the old automatic engine.

that's two main reasons why your car would not start.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:25 PM
hooey_b

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by untamed242
ok so im trying to make sense of what has happened so far.

you swapped the motor only. same transmission correct?

if that is the case the wiring harness should not have been swapped.

donor was manual car is automatic. correct?

makes sure the previous mechanic installed the signal plate onto the manual motor from the old automatic engine.

that's two main reasons why your car would not start.

ok...so i know this thread is old, but it's a shot.

I'm trying right now to make the same thing work, only for different reasons in a slightly different manner.

I want to swap my ecu from the 08 g37s 6mt to an 09 ecu from a g37s 6mt. For tuning with Ecutek purposes.

How confident are you in that statement about the engine harnesses being the same between 08 and 09? from the research I've been doing, it seems you'd have to swap out not only the ecu, but the wiring harness as well, and the respective modules along with it.

I'm not refuting your statement, I just wanted to check to see if it's factual; it'd be a piece of useful information in helping to tackle this problem...

btw, good luck w/ JTran jbusbygbtc! That shop is bomb...I just contacted them bout 2 days ago and they mentioned your car, but wouldn't dive into details -_______-