Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help P0021 and P0524??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by obg376mt
Got a call from Infiniti Tuesday... when they took the head off to replace the gasket, they noticed that one of my valve springs was broken... and they can't find the piece that's broken off. but clearly it is broken off. Now they are in talks with Corporate for a new engine... whats weird is that he said that i was probably misfiring on 1 cylinder but i got no CEL....

I can't complain about Infiniti's Warranty, its top notch and they are taking care of all of this under power train, however whats a bit concerning is my entire drivetrain has now been replaced (transmission and diff prior to me buying the car) and now the engine... thoughts?
You now have a brand new engine and transmission. You didn't have to pay out of pocket for it. Count your blessings you caught it in time.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a call from Infiniti Tuesday... when they took the head off to replace the gasket, they noticed that one of my valve springs was broken... and they can't find the piece that's broken off. but clearly it is broken off. Now they are in talks with Corporate for a new engine... whats weird is that he said that i was probably misfiring on 1 cylinder but i got no CEL....

I can't complain about Infiniti's Warranty, its top notch and they are taking care of all of this under power train, however whats a bit concerning is my entire drivetrain has now been replaced (transmission and diff prior to me buying the car) and now the engine... thoughts?
Geez. I hope I don't get that call while they are working on mine. I'm fully out of warranty.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:03 PM
JDee

Hey guys, I just joined this forum bc of this problem. My 2010 G37 was diagnosed with a P0300 code that I've had intermittently for a couple years. After taking it to the dealership, they determined it was the combination of a fault MAF sensor, engine coolant sensor, and the (damn) rear timing gasket causing the problem. Luckily they will be covering about $3.5k of the repair as I keep a maintenance log and I'll be footing about $900 out of pocket. I was planning on keeping this car for another 5 years. Do you think that's a good idea since the gasket's being replaced?

BB, real sorry to hear about your trouble with Infiniti.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by JDee
Hey guys, I just joined this forum bc of this problem. My 2010 G37 was diagnosed with a P0300 code that I've had intermittently for a couple years. After taking it to the dealership, they determined it was the combination of a fault MAF sensor, engine coolant sensor, and the (damn) rear timing gasket causing the problem. Luckily they will be covering about $3.5k of the repair as I keep a maintenance log and I'll be footing about $900 out of pocket. I was planning on keeping this car for another 5 years. Do you think that's a good idea since the gasket's being replaced?

BB, real sorry to hear about your trouble with Infiniti.
Thanks. Since we've had the wife's 09 sedan fixed we've had no more trouble out of it. The issue seems almost random - her car that had the failure is a highway commuter that seldom gets any spirited driving other than the occasional freeway pass. My 08 coupe has seen some serious RPMs since I got it, including a good amount of track time yet it hasn't had the issue.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:39 PM
JDee

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Thanks. Since we've had the wife's 09 sedan fixed we've had no more trouble out of it. The issue seems almost random - her car that had the failure is a highway commuter that seldom gets any spirited driving other than the occasional freeway pass. My 08 coupe has seen some serious RPMs since I got it, including a good amount of track time yet it hasn't had the issue.
Yeah, mine is a highway commuter too. Have 107k miles on her and pretty much drive about 30 miles everyday on the freeway for work. Oh thanks again for the tranny and/or the differential fluid change write-up. I saw it a while ago and it was really helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Xyrium
Registered Member

Keeping it alive..

I realize this is an old thread, but could eventually make a decent sticky if enough problems and resolutions are posted into it regarding this issue.

Today, my '09 G37x threw the P0524 and P0011 codes. It wouldn't rev beyond 2k. So, I dropped it off at a nearby mechanic, and I have my fingers crossed. However, I assume the same problem, this engine is probably shot, though it's not making any oddball noises and runs smoothly under 2k. The car only has 54k miles on it, so I'm really unhappy if this turns out to be a major repair.

That said, perhaps should have been a recall? I'll post results from the mechanic once he gives me an update. Probably late tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:58 PM
IgS

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Xyrium
I realize this is an old thread, but could eventually make a decent sticky if enough problems and resolutions are posted into it regarding this issue.

Today, my '09 G37x threw the P0524 and P0011 codes. It wouldn't rev beyond 2k. So, I dropped it off at a nearby mechanic, and I have my fingers crossed. However, I assume the same problem, this engine is probably shot, though it's not making any oddball noises and runs smoothly under 2k. The car only has 54k miles on it, so I'm really unhappy if this turns out to be a major repair.

That said, perhaps should have been a recall? I'll post results from the mechanic once he gives me an update. Probably late tomorrow.
If they do end up needing to change the gaskets, make them inspect everything else while they are in there so you don't end up needing a new engine in a few months like I did. Good luck with the repairs!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Xyrium
Registered Member

Thanks IgS! I certainly will!

I probably would have taken it to the dealer, but driving under 2k is impossible on the route I need to take to get there. So, hopefully this mechanic (normally focused on German cars) will locate the true root cause.

Edit: Mech just called and said it was just the oil level relay/sending unit. This makes me nervous though. I'll update in an hour or so after I pick it up and drive it around for a while.

Edit II: Ok, I ran a few local errands, which let the car heat up well enough, and returned home with no issues. Just for the sake of it, I replaced air filters and cleaned the MAFs. Everything seems to be running very smoothly, idle also seems to have improved (probably new filters and MAF cleaning). Fingers crossed...

Last edited by Xyrium; 01-13-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:09 PM
q3blue
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad this thread exists, my 2011 G37 with 51k miles had a P0021, P0011, and P0524 code. My car's basic warranty expired but I'm still within the power train warranty. I took the car to the dealership yesterday and they called me up to tell me it was the timing chain cover gasket rear and it's covered under warranty. The only thing they wanted to charge me was because I have a aftermarket grounding kit. They said if I wanted them to reinstall it they would charge me $90, so I told them to just stick the cables in the trunk and I'll take care of it.

UPDATE:
After a week, I got my car back. They ended up replacing the water pump on my car as well since they noticed it was leaking after everything was put back together. Besides replacing the paper gasket that caused the problem with the new 2014+ revision of the part, they also replaced both of the intake cam sprockets as they were stuck at 50 and 60 degree advance.

Last edited by q3blue; 02-09-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Xyrium
Registered Member

I'm glad too, and still uncertain about what it takes to have something like this added to a recall list. CLearly it would be very expensive for Nissan, but, does it simply take a number of *victims* to come forward and build a petition of some sort, perhaps class action?

Edit: For those interested, or had to pay out of pocket for this, perhaps starting with a complaint to the NHTSA would get things moving. I don't see any mentions of even a TSB for this, was there?

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

The above should allow a complaint to be lodged. Of course, it would probably take quite a number of them to get Infiniti/Nissan to act.

Last edited by Xyrium; 02-08-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Amar Dave

When did Infiniti fix the faulty Timing Chain Cover Gasket Rear. I have a 2011 g37 throwing off this code
Old 11-01-2017, 02:00 PM
q3blue
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Amar Dave
When did Infiniti fix the faulty Timing Chain Cover Gasket Rear. I have a 2011 g37 throwing off this code
It's hard to say, the last revision of the gasket was in 2014. When I was looking into the problem, everyone was hoping the 2013 revision would of fixed the problem but when I had my car repaired and noticed another version of the gasket version that came out in 2014. There was a guy on the forum, I don't remember the post that said his 2013 G37 had the problem but it turned out to be old oil clogging up this system and not the gasket.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:25 PM
waynerd313
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there anything that can be done to help prevent this particular problem?
Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Infiniti changed the gasket material for the 2012 MY. The only way to prevent the gasket from failing is to replace it. Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. Expensive either way.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:22 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by q3blue
It's hard to say, the last revision of the gasket was in 2014. When I was looking into the problem, everyone was hoping the 2013 revision would of fixed the problem but when I had my car repaired and noticed another version of the gasket version that came out in 2014. There was a guy on the forum, I don't remember the post that said his 2013 G37 had the problem but it turned out to be old oil clogging up this system and not the gasket.
This is interesting information, I have have never once come across anyone mentioning a 2012+ MY VQ37HR engine having an oil gallery gasket failure.

given the importance of this info to a lot of people I think, can you post up a link to where this was reported by someone so others can be informed (my self included). The general consensus has been that the switch to the metal gasket in 2012 fixed the issue, but if it didn't that a pretty big deal and I'm sure others would like to hear about it. i know i'd like to know more.
thanks

Quick Reply: Help P0021 and P0524??