Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help P0021 and P0524??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:10 AM
350zrb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the car back yesterday. Dealer replaced all those gaskets and some seals, all under warranty.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Awesome. Glad they came through for you.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:43 PM
mjunod
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the VVEL gasket issue on 2008 G37 coupe, but no codes were thrown. I would have some pinging around 1800 RPM that one dealer could not determine the issue. Another dealer recognized this as gasket issue. Was replaced under extended warranty at 106k miles since problem was documented before 100k warranty expired. This cured the pinging, but at 109k miles I got P0011 code and limp mode with drastic engine cut out over 2400 RPM. I reset code and ECU and no issue. Problem just reoccurred today at 111k miles. Dealer says it needs needs bank 1 sprocket and solenoid as cost of $2,164+tax. Also suggest doing bank 2 for additional $962 while working on 1 to save on labor. They also claim 2 issues are unrelated. I wonder if 1st repair could have impacted sprocket. Also wonder if I should have bank 2 done. I plan on keeping car for several more years. Thoughts?
(Note: original owner and change oil every 3,750 even though using Pennzoil platinum or ultra. Dealer verified engine is clean or would not have covered under warranty.)
Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

My engine light just came on my 2008 G37 and reported P0011 and P0524. After reading this thread it sounds like I'm in for a world of hurt when I take it to the dealer. Is there anything I should try or do myself before I take it in and they tell me how much $ this is going to cost me? I have relatively low miles for a 2008 at around 63k. I was planning on selling it in about 6 months.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:33 PM
obg376mt

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
P0021 and P0524??

Just brought in my 09 today for an oil change and well as a final inspection before my power train runs out. Service advisor comes right back into the waiting room and says "lets get you in a loaner and about your day, your car will be here for a while."

Can't compliment Beshoff Infiniti enough good honest group of guys there, never an issue once with trying to get me to do unnecessary stuff.

Head gaskets leaking bank 1 and 2, and what I believe is the infamous rear timing cover (He said he would contact me with regards to this since he's not sure if it'll be covered under warranty).

Now him and the mad master tech, gotta rip apart the block... And replace the gaskets... Haha

Long story short in a loaner for a couple weeks as they replace the gaskets... Q50 is eh... Not too impressed, but hey better than 4k out of my pocket.

Also thanks to Infinitiautocare out in the nor cal bay area. I did not even know my power train still existed until I went to him for a 60k service. Another honest guy and my go to mechanic for now on.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by ohseedee
My engine light just came on my 2008 G37 and reported P0011 and P0524. After reading this thread it sounds like I'm in for a world of hurt when I take it to the dealer. Is there anything I should try or do myself before I take it in and they tell me how much $ this is going to cost me? I have relatively low miles for a 2008 at around 63k. I was planning on selling it in about 6 months.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's that rear timing gasket. The only thing you can do is hand them a tube of astroglide as you drop trou and grab your ankles so it hurts a little less. About $3K at the dealership.

It's not your fault. Poor material engineering but you'll be the one to pay the price because you're out of warranty. Sorry.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:54 AM
IgS

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see this thread is still useful to some people.

Here is some more info, for those running into these issues:
I no longer have the car (sold it last year), but about 4 months after they replaced all the gaskets, my entire engine failed! If I remember correctly, something came loose inside and the whole crankshaft broke. When it happened, loud bang and then the engine just sounded like it was a bunch of metal thrown into a blender. They gave me a brand new long block under warranty.... car was in the shop about 3 weeks. Crazy stuff.

Super impressed with Infiniti warranty, probably the best I ever had. This is considering I had intakes and exhaust on the car. If you are getting these codes, it seems like its a pretty bad omen of even worse things to come. And hopefully im one of the very few where it got this bad.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:13 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

I took it to the dealer today. Upon my description they gave me a rough estimate of $2-$3k if it is what they think it is (in line with what people on this thread have said). Now what should I do? $3k is a lot of money for a car that I was planning on selling in 9-12 months. I would hate to put that kind of money into it and turn around and sell in ASAP but I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

Should I
a) not fix it and try to sell it as is? Maybe even offer it to the dealer its at now.
b) fix it and try to sell it ASAP?
c) fix it and keep it for a year
Old 07-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

If you are going to sell it to somebody in its current condition, don't be a jerk and sell it to someone and not tell them about it. Make sure they know what they're getting.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ohseedee
a) not fix it and try to sell it as is? Maybe even offer it to the dealer its at now.
I vote for a)

Telcoman
Old 07-27-2015, 05:45 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's that rear timing gasket. The only thing you can do is hand them a tube of astroglide as you drop trou and grab your ankles so it hurts a little less. About $3K at the dealership.

It's not your fault. Poor material engineering but you'll be the one to pay the price because you're out of warranty. Sorry.
BB, I don't recall from your thread, this is covered under powertrain? If I'm not mistaken it'd definitely covered under elite care.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Jsolo
BB, I don't recall from your thread, this is covered under powertrain? If I'm not mistaken it'd definitely covered under elite care.
It is covered by power train warranty. Which unfortunately he doesn't still have on an 08.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:11 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

They called me today to give me the bad news. I decided to just fix it. I figure I'll get more money if I sell it in good working order minus repairs than I would if I sold it broken. I told them to replace any part that is relatively low cost while they have everything open and dismantled since they wont charge me more for labor. I think it will just be radiator hoses and thermostat as extra preventative replacements. Hopefully this will be the last repair I'll need to make before I sell it in 9-12 months and get something new (around the time the new A4/S4, C450 and Jaguar XE is out for me to choose from). I'm the original owner of this 2008. This is the longest I've ever had a car. I probably wont keep a primary car this long again.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:11 AM
mongo138
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know when they fixed that issue or does it exist on all years.
I have a 2011 and 2013 g37
Yikes
Old 07-30-2015, 02:12 PM
obg376mt

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by obg376mt
Just brought in my 09 today for an oil change and well as a final inspection before my power train runs out. Service advisor comes right back into the waiting room and says "lets get you in a loaner and about your day, your car will be here for a while."

Can't compliment Beshoff Infiniti enough good honest group of guys there, never an issue once with trying to get me to do unnecessary stuff.

Head gaskets leaking bank 1 and 2, and what I believe is the infamous rear timing cover (He said he would contact me with regards to this since he's not sure if it'll be covered under warranty).

Now him and the mad master tech, gotta rip apart the block... And replace the gaskets... Haha

Long story short in a loaner for a couple weeks as they replace the gaskets... Q50 is eh... Not too impressed, but hey better than 4k out of my pocket.

Also thanks to Infinitiautocare out in the nor cal bay area. I did not even know my power train still existed until I went to him for a 60k service. Another honest guy and my go to mechanic for now on.
Got a call from Infiniti Tuesday... when they took the head off to replace the gasket, they noticed that one of my valve springs was broken... and they can't find the piece that's broken off. but clearly it is broken off. Now they are in talks with Corporate for a new engine... whats weird is that he said that i was probably misfiring on 1 cylinder but i got no CEL....

I can't complain about Infiniti's Warranty, its top notch and they are taking care of all of this under power train, however whats a bit concerning is my entire drivetrain has now been replaced (transmission and diff prior to me buying the car) and now the engine... thoughts?

Quick Reply: Help P0021 and P0524??