Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Drivetrain Overhaul. Reviews/comments/questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 PM
pgviper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Drivetrain Overhaul. Reviews/comments/questions

A little history. Bought my car in october of 2012 from a forum member. The car had about 37k miles on it and it's at about 51k miles now. Its a 2008 g37s coupe 6mt.

I am the third owner. First owner is unknown. The forum member I bought it from learned how to drive manual on the car. His gf learned how to drive manual on the car. I knew how to drive manual but there was a bit of a learning curve since I learned on a right hand drive toyota POS in europe. My gf has also learned how to drive on my car. So in all honesty, this clutch has been beaten to sh*t and I think it's time for a new one. My throwout bearing screams at me when the clutch isn't depressed and it's very hard to get into first on many mornings.

My list of parts I am looking into buying (all from zspeed) include:

1) Clutch: South Bend Clutch Stage 1 HD Clutch Kit
South Bend clutch kit flywheel Stage 1 HD heavy duty nsk-100-hd-o

2) Flywheel: South Bend Clutch 350Z 370Z G35 G37 14.5LB Aluminum Flywheel
South Bend Clutch 350Z 370Z G35 G37 14.5LB Aluminum Flywheel

3) Pilot bushing: G37 Clutch Pilot Bushing
300zx 350z 370z G35 G37 Clutch Pilot Bushing

4) HD CSC: Zspeed
ZSpeed Performance Replacment HD Clutch CSC Heavy Duty Slave Cylinder Kit

5) Master cylinder: OEM 370Z master
Nissan OEM Clutch Master Cylinder 370Z G37

6) Fluid: Redline MT-85 or Motul Gear 300 trans fluid

All I have is an exhaust and wheels on the car and I do not plan on doing any serious power modifications.

I would like to know if this seems like a complete list, any reviews people may have and any recommendations. Also, I plan to DIY, I'm thinking 4-5 days after work to install everything. Does anybody have experience with install.

Thank you in advance!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Have you ever replaced a clutch before? It's not as simple a DIY as a lot of others. Do you have a lift? If you're convinced the throw out bearing is problematic, why are you not replacing it?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 PM
pgviper

My dad does everything with me. Essentially he talks me through it and he is more than capable at replacing any of the parts.

I was thinking of doing that but besides the noise there is clutch slip under load. Ive also had my pops drive my car a bit because I was concerned about the engagement and slip, he came to the same conclusion that my clutch is on it's way out.

I plan on driving this car a lot (as the miles show) and bringing it to a coupe track events. I figured that while i'm in there I should beef everything up a bit.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:42 PM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Dropping a transmission on these cars LOOKS easy because of where its sitting...not much in its way.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 AM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I can get my trans out in under 40min if I hustle. If you want to do a complete overhaul I'd also inspect your hanger bearing on the driveshaft, everyone overlooks this, and wonders why they get strange vibrations in there seats.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:34 AM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think you'll need a new throwout bearing. They're loud as hell on our car from the factory so that may be what your hearing. Your list seams good any problems should be obvious after changing those.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 AM
pgviper

Thanks for the comments. My dad essentially built his camaro track car from the ground up so there should be no technical problems. HOWEVER, he gets beyond frustrated with foreign cars and all of their panels, random bolts and stuff. He is used to working on his car where everything is designed so that it can be accessed quickly and easily.

Anyway, I have a track day in september. Does anyone think I will have problems due to the symptoms I have described? We plan on driving the camaro at the track but in case something breaks down with that car I'm bringing mine as a backup (don't want to waste the day, money or experience).
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
A new clutch needs to be broken in before you beat on it.

Also, changing out all the parts you mentioned wont help change how the clutch engages. Ate you going to install the RJM clutch pedal assembly too? If you're changing the MC The job is already half done.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM
pgviper

Originally Posted by Black Betty
A new clutch needs to be broken in before you beat on it.

Also, changing out all the parts you mentioned wont help change how the clutch engages. Ate you going to install the RJM clutch pedal assembly too? If you're changing the MC The job is already half done.
Worn out clutches tend to engage at the higher end of the pedal travel if i'm not mistaken.

Well, after taking a look at the RJM clutch pedal assembly. That seems to be the fix to the clutch travel. So if our cars have such a high engagement point then besides the clutch slipping, what symptoms would you be having if the clutch is on it's way out?

It seems like all I need is one of these RJM clutch pedal assemblies along with a throw out bearing.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
BB i think he'd be ok on track without the rjm where he's in 2nd 3rd and 4th most of the time. Rjm is more help for standing starts. That's always something you can add later
Old 08-30-2013, 11:27 AM
pgviper

Originally Posted by Skyline6mt
BB i think he'd be ok on track without the rjm where he's in 2nd 3rd and 4th most of the time. Rjm is more help for standing starts. That's always something you can add later
RJM pedal would def be good to have if i were to do all of the parts I originally state. Now i'm second guessing myself because I don't know for sure what the state of my clutch is in. Last thing I need is for it to go out on me when I really need it.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 PM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Parts

You will need a pilot bushing and throw out bearing (go with the nismo) you also might want to upgrade to a braided clutch line. Also check your syncro's while you have it out. No sense putting it all back together pretty if one is wearing out.