Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Gains w/ Uprev on Stock G37?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:47 PM
Eric_p05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My G37

I was wondering if it’s best to get headers or a cat-back exhaust before I get my G37 tuned...? At the moment it is stock... only aftermarket part it has are typhoon k&n intakes.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:41 AM
VVladislav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_p05
I was wondering if it’s best to get headers or a cat-back exhaust before I get my G37 tuned...? At the moment it is stock... only aftermarket part it has are typhoon k&n intakes.
best bet is if you’re planning to upgrade headers and exhaust and CATS only then go for a tune. If you’re planning to do more mods like going FI hold off until you reach your mod limit/satisfaction then tune it. Me for example I’m getting Kinetix HFC and the invidia catback with the Z1 manifold then the tune after the manifold as I don’t plan to TT or SC the car.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:39 AM
NH G37xS

ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED:

Checking in to see if anyone has either ecutek or uprev tune on a stock or close to stock G37?

I've got a K&N typhoon intake as my only performance mod. My plan was to go either catback or high flow cats then get the tune and leave it at that.

HOWEVER I got my car on a lift yesterday and the exhaust is a RUSTY MESS. The bolts that hold the cats on are completely gone and the y-pipe and mid-pipe bolts aren't far behind. If I start trying to swap out exhaust components I may be opening up a can of worms.

My G is my daily driver and I drive a lot, and I feel that the stock power is sufficient for me (especially coming from an 06 TSX). A huge bump in power is not really what I'm looking for in a tune. I do feel that things could be sharpened up quite a bit (throttle response, flattened out torque curve, auto trans shifts, etc.) to tailor to my driving style. More usable power is what I'm looking for, and I think a simple tune can do this.

My question to anyone with a tune on a stock/close to stock G, or anyone knowledgeable in tuning: are the gains worth the $700-$850 potential cost??
Old 05-06-2018, 02:01 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Might as well get a new exhaust. It'll be 304 "stainless" steel which will outlast you. Be sure to get SS nuts and bolts, too.

A catback and intake with a tune might get you twelve to twenty hp. Not much to write home about.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:08 PM
NH G37xS

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Might as well get a new exhaust. It'll be 304 "stainless" steel which will outlast you. Be sure to get SS nuts and bolts, too.

A catback and intake with a tune might get you twelve to twenty hp. Not much to write home about.
An increase in power isn't really what I'm hoping to get out of a tune. Although a small increase wouldn't be a bad thing, there are things that I have noticed dd'ing the car with intake and stock tune that can be improved. The car seems to have weak/flat spots in the rev range, transmission shifts can be slow, and throttle response has room for improvement. All of which a tune should be able to address. Usable power>More power, in my opinion.

That being said, although my exhaust is in rough shape, I do think it will last a while longer as long as I don't attempt pulling it all apart. I initially had trouble justifying spending $500 to $800 on either HFC's or a catback, on top of a tune. Now I definitely don't want to spend that much money on an exhaust if I am going to have to drop another couple hundred to get the old rusty pipes taken off.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:19 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by NH G37xS
ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED:

Checking in to see if anyone has either ecutek or uprev tune on a stock or close to stock G37?

I've got a K&N typhoon intake as my only performance mod. My plan was to go either catback or high flow cats then get the tune and leave it at that.

HOWEVER I got my car on a lift yesterday and the exhaust is a RUSTY MESS. The bolts that hold the cats on are completely gone and the y-pipe and mid-pipe bolts aren't far behind. If I start trying to swap out exhaust components I may be opening up a can of worms.

My G is my daily driver and I drive a lot, and I feel that the stock power is sufficient for me (especially coming from an 06 TSX). A huge bump in power is not really what I'm looking for in a tune. I do feel that things could be sharpened up quite a bit (throttle response, flattened out torque curve, auto trans shifts, etc.) to tailor to my driving style. More usable power is what I'm looking for, and I think a simple tune can do this.

My question to anyone with a tune on a stock/close to stock G, or anyone knowledgeable in tuning: are the gains worth the $700-$850 potential cost??
You actually lost power there.... More noise, less power
Old 05-07-2018, 12:21 AM
NH G37xS

Originally Posted by Dzionassi
You actually lost power there.... More noise, less power
I don't disagree with you in that short ram intakes likely don't add any power, but I certainly don't think any power has been lost. The car still pulls strong. Short ram intakes likely don't have any true benefits (other than induction noise) until after a tune when the whole setup (with add-ons) can be used as a cohesive unit.

These particular intakes were on the car when I bought it. I personally would not have paid the ~$300 for the set, but they were already on there, have a good build quality, and sound great...so I figured I'd stick with them.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by NH G37xS
I don't disagree with you in that short ram intakes likely don't add any power, but I certainly don't think any power has been lost. The car still pulls strong. Short ram intakes likely don't have any true benefits (other than induction noise) until after a tune when the whole setup (with add-ons) can be used as a cohesive unit.

These particular intakes were on the car when I bought it. I personally would not have paid the ~$300 for the set, but they were already on there, have a good build quality, and sound great...so I figured I'd stick with them.
believe me, you are losing power. I had r2c installed and tuned. That was worst "investment" i made to my car. I could not believe it, that it made such a huge difference when i went to long CAI.... but, nice intake,sound is gone
On the side not with r2c there was lot more exhaust drone...
Old 12-17-2019, 09:22 PM
Jacobg37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rm2342
So, Does any one actually have a stock g37 with Uprev only and seen an improvement in driveability and throttle response?
I just sent my ecu to z1 motorsports
my car is totally stock .
They told me at would get a least 15 hp
On my stock 2012 g37x
with uprev tune
Old 12-20-2019, 06:11 PM
ragnar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jacobg37x
I just sent my ecu to z1 motorsports
my car is totally stock .
They told me at would get a least 15 hp
On my stock 2012 g37x
with uprev tune
Please report back with your thoughts on this. I'm in a similar situation, I have a completely stock '08 G37 coupe. From the research I've done you really do not gain much without going to a turbo or super charged. The intake and exhaust mods, you don't get much bang for your buck. Just improving the throttle lag would make my car feel faster.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:56 PM
Jacobg37x
Registered Member

Ecu mail in

Originally Posted by ragnar
Please report back with your thoughts on this. I'm in a similar situation, I have a completely stock '08 G37 coupe. From the research I've done you really do not gain much without going to a turbo or super charged. The intake and exhaust mods, you don't get much bang for your buck. Just improving the throttle lag would make my car feel faster.
I got my ecu back...
WELL Worth the $300!
Your car will feel completely different
The motor has more power you can feel
And throttle response is great from the top of pedal to the floor
I dont know if you have been on Z1motorsports website or not.But here is a picture of what you would get if you mail your Ecu in.
Write back if you send yours in....
I would like to here how you like it

Old 12-21-2019, 04:09 PM
ragnar
Registered Member

Sounds great, I'm in. I'll post on my experience. May not be right away, kind of a busy time of year right now.
Thanks for the feedback.