Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Car won't start.... battery????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Italia311

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question stupid question/situation.....help!

Hey everyone,
so...i feel like a complete idiot posting this, but I am pretty confused. So a quick synopsis of the start of this issue, the other day my girlfriend got something out of my trunk and today i came into the garage to find the trunk still open -_- and obviously there is (was) a light in there. So i go to start my car assuming its drained, and yes..i was right. But was strange is that all of the electronics worked normally; lights, radio, horn, dashboard, etc. So whatever, i did the usual routine of cables and hooking it up and starting my booster vehicle (2010 ram 5.7L hemi). so 10 min into i go to start my G...and nothing. another 5-10 min into i tried again and still nothing. so i had propped the gas pedal to about 2k rpm for a good 3-4 minutes and still nothing so finally i gave up. I've jumped tons of vehicles and never had a problem, except for my G. All in all, it was about 20-25 min with the cable hooked up from the truck which should have been MORE than enough to charge the battery. ALso, the lights/electronics kept working fine the whole time. And I had just driven the car about a week ago.

.....anyone have any incite??? i feel useless

Last edited by Italia311; 11-01-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 PM
tmmueller

hate to mention it but sometimes its the simple stuff. Is the car in park? Assuming its an automatic that is. I have auto but I used to have stick so every now and then I just turn the car off with it in gear.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 PM
huwee06

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check fuse box just incase
Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 AM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Italia311
Hey everyone,
so...i feel like a complete idiot posting this, but I am pretty confused. So a quick synopsis of the start of this issue, the other day my girlfriend got something out of my trunk and today i came into the garage to find the trunk still open -_- and obviously there is (was) a light in there. So i go to start my car assuming its drained, and yes..i was right. But was strange is that all of the electronics worked normally; lights, radio, horn, dashboard, etc. So whatever, i did the usual routine of cables and hooking it up and starting my booster vehicle (2010 ram 5.7L hemi). so 10 min into i go to start my G...and nothing. another 5-10 min into i tried again and still nothing. so i had propped the gas pedal to about 2k rpm for a good 3-4 minutes and still nothing so finally i gave up. I've jumped tons of vehicles and never had a problem, except for my G. All in all, it was about 20-25 min with the cable hooked up from the truck which should have been MORE than enough to charge the battery. ALso, the lights/electronics kept working fine the whole time. And I had just driven the car about a week ago.

.....anyone have any incite??? i feel useless
Since your electronics are working, then your battery is not dead. Are you sure you have a strong connection? Try moving the cables around a bit.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 AM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
The trunk light wouldn't drain your whole battery, there is a timer on it if it on for a certain amount of time (very roughly 30min from experience) it will turn off the light. The only way to get it back on is to close the trunk and reopen it.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Italia311

hmm.. yes the car is manual, but im not sure what you fellas mean by turning it off with it in gear?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Italia311

also, a little bit more info, the electronics are acting funny. ex: when i hit the start button to turn off all power, and i open the door, i hear a clicking which i believe is the window control spazzing out. not sure if that helps or not lol
Old 11-02-2012, 05:25 PM
ECain18

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes sounds like the battery to me. Even tho it has enough power to power the lights and whatnot it sounds like it doesnt have enough juice to get you started. Not sure why even when you hooked it up. My window did the same thing when i needed a battery and your other issues sound very similar to mine
Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like you need a new battery. When mine died (wouldn't start the car), everything still worked including the door locks and horn.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Italia311

ok guys...so i have an update, i needed up getting a battery after wrk and swapping it....but now when i shut my car off and open my door, my ****ing drivers side window automatically goes down 3/4 of the way and idk wtf its doing it!! when i open the door with the power on, the window controls don't even work at all.....needless to say, I'm pretty pissed right now.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Italia311
ok guys...so i have an update, i needed up getting a battery after wrk and swapping it....but now when i shut my car off and open my door, my ****ing drivers side window automatically goes down 3/4 of the way and idk wtf its doing it!! when i open the door with the power on, the window controls don't even work at all.....needless to say, I'm pretty pissed right now.
Dude RTFM .... there is a procedure to readjust the windows after a battery disconnect.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 PM
ECain18

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
yes just reset the windows bud. Take the window the whole way down and hold for 10 secs(overkill) and then the whole way back up for 10 secs. Do this for each window and they will be reset. You need to do this any time you disconnect the battery
Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Italia311

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Dude RTFM .... there is a procedure to readjust the windows after a battery disconnect.
Originally Posted by ECain18
yes just reset the windows bud. Take the window the whole way down and hold for 10 secs(overkill) and then the whole way back up for 10 secs. Do this for each window and they will be reset. You need to do this any time you disconnect the battery
ohhhh I was unaware of this procedure. thank you, much appreciated!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 AM
navecm
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There was a battery issue that was covered by the dealer on my 08 G37. I had the same issue, but they refused to replace anything until they saw the issue. They told me next time it happened to use road side assistance and have it towed to them. Anyway they did a computer update and replaced my battery. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
blackhawksfan81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be body control module needs a software update. Mine was just at the dealer for the same thing. There's a TSB for it.

Quick Reply: Car won't start.... battery????