Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Car runs worse AFTER bolt-ons

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 PM
PENROSE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HFC will make the car louder....not quieter.

By adding a catback you will lose a tiny bit of low end, but gain some on the top end. You will gain more on top than you will lose on the bottom. My opinion.

By adding HFC you will most likely lose even more low end. You will need a tune after HFC if you want to feel any gains.

With just a catback...I don't feel a tune is necessary
Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 PM
2009G37Bandit

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I just read that the Ark High Flow Cats that I was THINKING to PAIR to my recently Ordered ARK Grip Exhaust do not fit on my car!
I have a 2009 G37 Sedan (RWD & 7-Speed Automatic Transmission), their website says the New ARK HFC's ONLY fit Coupes and Cars with a 7 Speed Manual Transmission, so I guess the ARK is out as an option for HFC's.

I guess I can get the Fast Intentions Resonated High Flow Cats to go with my Ark Grip.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Unique1231

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed my intake and my car is bogging out When the gas is being hit hard.. I did reset ecu and drove for 5 miles and still does it. Checked vac lines and all good.... anyone have any other solutions I might want to look at?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM
GhostFaceKilla
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
My only guess would be the vac lines connected wrong, but you've already checked it.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:19 PM
lippstuh

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostFaceKilla
My only guess would be the vac lines connected wrong, but you've already checked it.
i bet its something he forgot to connect. I always check and recheck then a few hours later i eventually find the problem... its something he did wrong or forgot. it always is....
Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there any other symptoms? What's your mileage? Is the intake air tight? Dumb question, but it's always good to check the basics, is everything connected properly? There are 2 little rubber hoses you usually replace that connect to the engine, are those seated correctly?

I know it may sound redundant, but check and double check all steps slowly, we all tend to not want to verify our work because sometimes feel that we don't make mistakes on simple things...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Unique1231

hey thanks...car just hit 40k on it..I saw the 2 rubber hoses on each side of the intake. I connected those to the intake but one has a small bend to it, i wonder if that would make it boggle out when i floor the car? If i just cruise it its fine its when I hit the gas hard. Im gonna check all clamps again and make sure theyre all secure. But no other symptoms ...wait when im at a stop the car feels like it idles funny (low) and starts shaking.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:16 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by Unique1231
hey thanks...car just hit 40k on it..I saw the 2 rubber hoses on each side of the intake. I connected those to the intake but one has a small bend to it, i wonder if that would make it boggle out when i floor the car? If i just cruise it its fine its when I hit the gas hard. Im gonna check all clamps again and make sure theyre all secure. But no other symptoms ...wait when im at a stop the car feels like it idles funny (low) and starts shaking.

Without pics, I can't think of anything else. Maybe that hose that has a bend needs to be cut shorter?

Maybe you need your TB cleaned? Although I don't know why all of the sudden that would be an issue, unless some dirt got in there. Definitely check that hose though...
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 PM
jon23

I was able to find a pic I took while installing my intakes. The little hose on each side needs to be cut to size:

Name:  IMAG0323.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  201.8 KB

I hope it's something simple as this...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 PM
2009G37Bandit

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
My ARK GRIP CatBack is sitting in my Foyer waiting to go on my 2009 G37 Sedan (RWD).

I hope it doesn't loose much low end, already want MORE of that stuff! LOL..............

No CAI after reading all these reviews. I am considering a shop in Garland Texas (near Dallas) do my install. Kenny Tran is the best in teh state at tuning, BIT I ain't tuning for a CBE, but maybe he will do a quick tune for a few hundred bucks to increase throttle rersponse. They can do that and get the Air Fuel ratios in line. This is what I have waiting to be installed:

ARK Grip CBE
Hotchkiss Sway Bars
Eibach Pro Kit Springs With front and rear Camber Kit
StopTech Drilled & Slotted Rotors withPosi Quiet Pads
StopTech Stainless Steel braided Brake Lines

All this is going on my 09 Sedan RWD. I am going to be a chic magnet with all these new mods.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:21 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009G37Bandit
ARK Grip CBE
Hotchkiss Sway Bars
Eibach Pro Kit Springs With front and rear Camber Kit
StopTech Drilled & Slotted Rotors withPosi Quiet Pads
StopTech Stainless Steel braided Brake Lines
Hotchkis
Old 09-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just installed my intake and my car is bogging out When the gas is being hit hard.. I did reset ecu and drove for 5 miles and still does it. Checked vac lines and all good.... anyone have any other solutions I might want to look at?
You need to drive 50 miles to give the ECU time to do what it needs to do.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Unique1231

I see my problem already the shop took the little boxes out that go connected to the hoses !! they have only 1 hose right to the intake. Its fine for 1 long day at the end starts to lose power and boggle out and check engine light comes on for bank 2 map sensor. So I take it the shop needs to leave those plastic containers in huh ?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Unique1231

Just wanna thank everyone that had an input on my problem, I went and tighten up all clamps and actually found 1 lose and also check engine light came on with p107 i think it was .. which was vac leak or map sensor. I cleaned sensor and tighten all clamps and that fixed the issue !!! now looking to put on new Test pipes with new y pipes and 3" custom exhaust with HKS mufflers
Old 09-21-2012, 07:53 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I see my problem already the shop took the little boxes out that go connected to the hoses !! they have only 1 hose right to the intake. Its fine for 1 long day at the end starts to lose power and boggle out and check engine light comes on for bank 2 map sensor. So I take it the shop needs to leave those plastic containers in huh ?
Glad you found the issue but per the above, yes you do want to retain those catch boxes. On my takeda setup one of the boxes was not reused (there were two on one side and one on the other in the OEM setup).

Here's a pic of my setup:

Quick Reply: Car runs worse AFTER bolt-ons